DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Vimeo Plus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/235253-vimeo-plus.html)

Stelios Christofides May 13th, 2009 05:00 AM

Vimeo Plus

Hi guys
Are you using now the Vimeo Plus with the payment of extra $60,00? Do you think it's worth it? I have uploaded a video last night on vimeo and when I visit the sight to view it I get the message that the video will start converting in a moment! Well this moment has been so far 10 hours!!! ofcourse they advertise there vimeo Plus to avoid waiting...

Stelios

James McBoyle May 13th, 2009 09:06 AM

I do think it's worth it myself, but really it's up to you to make the descision. I like having everything in HD and also not having to worry about the number of plays I've left. Plus it's nice to support the service I use so they'll stay around.

Dale Guthormsen May 13th, 2009 01:06 PM

I went to plus and have not regretted at all, to me the extra service is worthy of a the few bucks. this is particularly true if you are in HD.

Stelios Christofides May 14th, 2009 09:29 AM

Well after waiting for a long time for the video to start converting I went to plus. I suppose it's not a lot to pay for one year although I don't, yet. upload HDV.

Stelios

Tom Hardwick May 14th, 2009 09:33 AM

I'm sure you just hit a bug as you started to upload Stelios. Weren't you tempted to hit cancel and try again?

Robert M Wright May 14th, 2009 10:57 AM

I'd like to see a service like VIMEO that allows you the option of uploading h264 files without them re-compressing the footage.

Stelios Christofides May 14th, 2009 03:39 PM

One thing I didn't understand is the "embed" thing. What does it mean? When I press the "embed" button I go to another window that says "Copy the code below and paste it into your website." and has a few paragraphs with numbers and codes that I don't understand. Can someone explain to me in plain English what does this embed thing means and how can I use it.

Stelios

Paul Mailath May 14th, 2009 05:27 PM

it just means you can insert the video into your own website so it looks like you're hosting it. the code is HTML code so you just cut & paste (or get your website designer to do it)

- with Plus you won't get any advertising as well - I think it's well worth it

Stelios Christofides May 15th, 2009 08:24 AM

Thanks Paul for the explanation.

Scott Nelson May 16th, 2009 09:42 PM

You guys just got another person talked into switching to plus! I liked how fast it uploads in HD... Youtube.... Yeah, No where close... I have to set my computer aside for the night and half the morning for one stupid video... Vimeo almost no waiting it was done in an hour..

Can't wait to see what Plus does once I get payed!

David Horwitz May 22nd, 2009 02:41 AM

Robert, I think blip.tv will do what you want. You can select the video to play in its original format.

Christopher Warwick November 5th, 2009 01:56 PM

I would not recommend a Vimeo plus account to anyone. A few months back, I had a problem with a crew member I fired from a set who then decided to become a tremendous nuisance to me on Vimeo. In the end, it was easier to ask Vimeo to terminate my account (explained the problem), after which I set up another account under an alias.

I then requested Vimeo to please transfer my newish 'Plus' account over to the new user account - to which they sent a terse, one-line email reply; 'no, sorry - not our policy' - At the time, my plus account had only been up/paid for 10 days. I had been using free Vimeo for over a year. I was pretty shocked at this.

I wasn't prepared to shell out another $60 so a friend recommended Exposure Room. I never looked back. Great, friendly bunch of people to work with and your video isn't compressed as much there either. For example, ER accepts 720p30 and shows 720p30 so it does not drop frames as does Vimeo which only accepts 720p24.

Use Vimeo as a free acount by all means, but be warned if you pay for 'Plus' - don't expect the customer service to go with it.

Christopher Warwick November 24th, 2009 02:38 PM

Unfortunately I can't delete my previous post or I would do it.

It would seem I was premature on my judgement of Vimeo. I've been somewhat busy these last few months and have used November to get my own house in order. I wrote that post the same day I also sent another email to Vimeo telling them what I thought.

I had a quick email back saying that there was a miscommunication and they (admin) had presumed I had been given a full refund but could not (technically) transfer the user account over to someone else.

To that end, I was given a full refund, so alls well that ends well. They are fair, I think I must have caught the guy on a wrong day a few months back.

Richard Gooderick November 29th, 2009 04:18 AM

I too am happy with my Vimeo Plus account.
Vimeo is good news.
I want to see it stay in business so I don't mind paying a reasonable fee.
When I did have uploading problems almost a year ago they took a lot of trouble to correct the problem.

Robert M Wright December 11th, 2009 09:50 PM

I wouldn't pay for a service that butchers video (and they all do), when I have hosting with oodles of space and unlimited bandwidth (which is cheap as dirt nowadays). I can do my own H264 encodings, and get far better quality than I've seen on any service like YouTube or Vimeo.