DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Creating a Streaming Video Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/2673-creating-streaming-video-series.html)

Paul Sedillo July 13th, 2002 07:37 PM

Creating a Streaming Video Series

As I mentioned in my intro, I purchased my XL1s in preperation for a Triathlon that I will be documenting next year. Well in the meantime I want to put it to good use. The current concept is to create a weekly tips and tricks segment.

I've got a server that can provide the delivery of the stream, the question is what should I use to create it? Also, is it truly important to create several different versions of the file (ie - Quicktime, Windows, Real, etc.)? And should I consider creating different file sizes?

From what I have read, Cleaner is an application that can handle this task. Is there anything else that I should consider?

Thanks,

Paul

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2002 12:50 PM

try searching and looking around this forum for more information.
Your questions has been asked/discussed a couple of times
already!

Good luck.

Paul Sedillo July 15th, 2002 04:54 AM

Thanks Rob! The search provided a ton of information.

James Emory August 8th, 2002 03:30 PM

Streaming Media Delivery

Studio,
I asked myself the same question when I began streaming media because I wanted to ensure that everyone could watch it. If you haven't noticed, I have streaming video links all over this site and only one person has responded with problems viewing it, a Mac user. I have not tried the others but Windows Media seems to be very easy to use once you get the right combination of all the settings (frame size, kbps, frame rate, I-frames, etc) required, you're on your way. Also, consider that by utilizing multiple delivery formats, that is 3 times as much space require, if using all of the big 3. Take a mental note when you're out and about and see what kind of system you see in use the most. Finding a target audience is very important in this process whether it's the masses or power users. I think there's more PCs than Macs so I chose to encode for what I think the majority user is. I don't know true statistics but I think Macs are specifically chosen by professional power users using them in the workplace (print, video editing, etc) and then at home while PCs are more common as a home instrument for the masses. Everyone that I've delt with using a Mac is a dedicated user of that platform and will know how to play a windows media file. The fact that all PCs are shipped with this player, which greatly helps ensure that they can view right out of the box, and that PCs are PROBABLY more abundant than Macs helped me make my decision for Windows Media encoding. Now if you get a huge demand for Real or QT, well then you better get busy! Hope this helps.

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 04:10 PM

James,

What is your experience using Cleaner? That is the product that I found (after researching apps) to best match my needs. So we spent the money and bought it.

This weekend I will be finishing the first in a series of mountian bike riding tips. The clips will cover different areas that are related to the sport. Once I finish editing the footage, I will create the necessary compressed video files.

I am personally not a fan of Real files, but will probably produce streams in that format due to my server (it has the software). My preference is to use Windows Media related files or Quicktime.

So this will be my first test using Cleaner. Thank you for all of your input, this is one topic that I need as much info as possible.

Paul