DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Web hosting show (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/3070-web-hosting-show.html)

James Rulison August 7th, 2002 11:32 AM

Web hosting show

I am starting a new venture (another freeby) where I am videoing and producing a show for an Internet site.

Was wondering what would be a good length of time for the show to run? Remember I will have to cover both broadband and lower dial-up. Here is what I was thinking of trying.

3 to 4 minute segments total run time about 12 mins.

As a side note anyone know where I can find a host who would work for free? Maybe lunch or dinner depending on filming time.

Best,
Big James

Paul Sedillo August 7th, 2002 02:36 PM

What software are you using to stream the video?

James Rulison August 7th, 2002 03:07 PM

Oh I can't believe I left that note out we are using Windows Media Services to stream and we might use Quicktime for download.

Best,
Big James

Paul Sedillo August 7th, 2002 04:32 PM

What is the story behind Windows Media Services? I am unfamiliar with that product/service. Have you used it prior to this project, if so what was the end user response?

Thanks...

James Rulison August 7th, 2002 05:38 PM

Well it's also known as Microsoft Media Service. It's a free streaming server that is included with a Windows 2000 server. We have found it to be pretty close to REAL quality on the streaming side and if your play rate is about 300 Kbps you can get really good quality video.

The encoder is free the server is free the player is free. Works for me.

Best,
Big James

James Emory August 7th, 2002 10:39 PM

Streaming Server

Howdy Backlash. Could you tell me how to get the free windows media server and where? Thanks.

James Rulison August 7th, 2002 11:30 PM

Microsoft Media Services is part of the Windows 2000 Server. You can install it by either doing it on install of the server (selecting custom install) or you can do it after by going to add/remove programs then add/remove windows components. It should be called Microsoft Media Services.

By default it's configured to do Multicast streams (I think.) You can do live events or VOD. You can also add Microsoft Media Rights Manager if you need to keep your content secure.

Microsoft Media Services gives you plenty of options and you can even do some very fun stuff with ASX a scripting language for setting up streams.

James Emory August 7th, 2002 11:36 PM

Thanks

I think I misunderstood you the first time. So, this is software that you install on YOUR PC and you stream from IT, correct?

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 03:43 AM

Re: Thanks

<<<-- Originally posted by James Emory : I think I misunderstood you the first time. So, this is software that you install on YOUR PC and you stream from IT, correct? -->>>

You might try this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.asp

James Emory August 8th, 2002 02:53 PM

Streaming Server

Thanks Studio. I am already streaming quite a bit now and paying for a dedicated streaming server, so when I heard him say FREE streaming server, I said to myself, where is it and how can I get one. Now I understand that it's his personal PC with the included software. I only have this advice to add. I hope he has a BIG pipeline with plenty of bandwidth to serve it out, because if not, he can expect some major downtime if not crashes.

James Rulison August 8th, 2002 03:10 PM

First of all read what I said Windows 2000 SERVER. It's on two dedicated servers at XO Communications load balanced. I have about 200 Mbps of bandwidth to play with so I don't think bandwidth will be a problem.

The facility the server is at (Irvine California) has two OC 48 SONET Rings going into it lit up to OC 12 each and only one hop from their OC 192 backbone.

To give you an IDEA of how much pipe is in that facility a OC 12 is 655 Mbps they have two so that is 1.2 Gbps. They can crank both to OC 48 which is 2.4 Gbps for a total of 4.8 Gbps.

The servers are Compaq DL360 1 Ghz PIII, with 1 GB RAM, and 2 x 36 GB (RAID 1) in each server.

When I say Free Server I ment the software. If I wanted to Stream REAL Player I have to pay for the server software.

Best,
Big James

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 03:11 PM

James,

My wife works with streaming video at her work and they are using the Windows FREE stuff. I will ask her about it when she gets home.

From what I recall it is included with the Windows 2000 Server as was mentioned before. Some how I recall a work around that she mentioned. I hope this is true as we are about to start streaming stuff very soon.

Paul

James Rulison August 8th, 2002 03:15 PM

Paul which James were you speaking to? I have no problem streaming the video my questions were more on the product side like if anyone had any ideas for keep the audiance attention on the attentionless Internet.

Best,
Big James

Paul Sedillo August 8th, 2002 03:22 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by backlash : Paul which James were you speaking to? I have no problem streaming the video my questions were more on the product side like if anyone had any ideas for keep the audiance attention on the attentionless Internet.

Best,
Big James -->>>

Big James,

I was talking to James Emory, guess I should have been a bit more clear! Man keeping the attention of the attentionless internet, whew that is a HUGE task. Best solution I have seen is www. nakednews.com ... J/K of course .... Good luck with finding a way to hit your audience. What is the service/information that you will be delivering?

James Emory,

Just talked to the wife and it is the encoder that is free. Kind of what I thought.

James Rulison August 8th, 2002 03:35 PM

The site gets about 50K to 80K uniqe visitors a month. We are trying to give them something new to look at and watch. The show would highlight some monthly story or event. You can check out the site at http://www.wildhobbies.com.

Best,
Big James