DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Is there a way to embed video into emails? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/377445-there-way-embed-video-into-emails.html)

James Collins September 9th, 2009 03:58 AM

Is there a way to embed video into emails?

I have video stored on Vimeo, so it is normally embedded via a HTML code.

We are going to be setting up an email newsletter and want to embed this video into the email.

Is this possible?

Seth Bloombaum September 9th, 2009 10:28 AM

Yes. You want to create html emails!

For the viewer, almost all email programs will read an html email. Some such have security settings available to only read text (so, do include alt text, etc.), or to disable image display, or, to disable embeds (so, have a link to a page on a webserver). Most users don't use those enhanced securit settings, but some do.

Viewers on mobile devices are a different kettle of fish. Vimeo being flash-based is good... but it's hard to know which devices will be able to actually stream your video. Vimeo help may have some info on this.

For creation, you're going to need to research this for your particular software(s). For example, in Microsoft Outlook, you'd create your web page with some external editor, then use Outlook to send it.

BTW, don't forget to post all images on a remote server and specify their location with absolute addressing, eg.:
Code:

http://www.myserver.com/mailimages/image1.jpg
The email is going to contain the html text only - all other assets must be remotely served.

James Collins September 10th, 2009 12:38 AM

Many thanks for this information. I have tried creating an HTML email, but when it arrives a few different 'test' inboxes, across different platforms (outlook, entourage, gmail etc) - the video isn't showing?

Josh Chesarek September 10th, 2009 04:52 AM

Actually as far as I know The only client I know of that brings in any video into the email is Apple Mail. The rest block that content. HTML email really is to be used for styling your text, positioning it and adding in photos.

Mobilize Mail Opinion Blog Archive Flash and Email – Can it Work?

The test above was for flash but its pretty much the same for just adding WMVs or MOVs. Include an image that says Click to Watch over it which lands on your video page.

Jason Robinson September 19th, 2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Collins (Post 1334579)
Many thanks for this information. I have tried creating an HTML email, but when it arrives a few different 'test' inboxes, across different platforms (outlook, entourage, gmail etc) - the video isn't showing?

the reason it isnt' showing is because most email systems block object embedding (dangerous). What you need to do is create an image that looks like the flash player interface and embed the image. Then when a user clicks the image, it takes them to the web page with the video.

Just screen capture the web page & crop out everything except the player.

Former Member #56430 December 12th, 2009 05:20 AM

Hi Guys,

The simple answer to the question is no.

You can embed video in an email but as metioned previously the seurity setting on various clients will prevent it from working as it should.

Marketing emails are best built using very basic nested tables HTML and if it invloves a video, use some form of presentation to get the the user to click through and watch the video, either via a text link or image link.

William Hohauser December 13th, 2009 12:33 PM

I worked on an test video newsletter project a year ago with a large marketing company. After testing the consensus was, no, you can't expect embedded video in an e-mail to reach the addressee unless you have some confirmation that their e-mail service and e-mail program can accept video files. In other words, a newsletter with embedded video will not work except on a minority of computers. Apple Mail is one of the few programs where it works but even there some POP accounts actively block embedded video in the e-mail account. Entourage and Outlook didn't work at all along with web based e-mail. Attached video is different but then you are clogging recipients e-mail accounts.