RC aerials illegal says FAA - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old February 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: RC aerials illegal says FAA

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
Ray....

An R44 is a helicopter. People in a helicopter.
Just a little perspective.

yes.... and I have seen helicopter hacks too... ( Gulf of Mexico )

I'm just saying everyone has to start somewhere, right?

And yes, I'd be a little peo'd if my helicopter was hit with a RC vehicle...

Paul I wasn't slamming you... I'm just saying you didn't have the same experience 8 years ago that you have now....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Good one Bob thanks for that.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Major Player

Unless I'm missing something these new regulations don't apply to all RC aircraft, just those with cameras.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #35
Major Player

Well, we've jumped in:

Phantom Quadcopter w/GoPro HERO and HERO2 Mount - Filmtools

This unit is really cool.....when I was little, I had a RC boat that I launched in Marina Del Rey and it took off across the water beautifully.....never to be seen again! The Phantom has the GPS built in so when you fly it say 1 block away, turn off the remote control, the unit stops & hovers in place, waiting for a signal......after a few seconds, it decides to "go home"...at the same height until it is right over the spot where it took off...still waiting for a signal.....then decides that it's going to land, lowers, and at about 5 feet, it slows and then lands! We've been testing these for the last few weeks and, other than putting some "dampening material" around the GoPro, are continually blown away at what this copter does, the range, and the really great shots you can get with it.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #36
Regular Crew

What is the range of this rc copter ?

distance from controller to rc ?
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #37
Major Player

wow this is a total mess of a situation.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kaplan View Post
What is the range of this rc copter ?

distance from controller to rc ?
300 meters from the remote......

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #39
Inner Circle

It seems a little like rubbing salt into a wound, but at the Broadcast Video Expo in London this week, helicopter type devices are all over the place - a number of exhibitors showing off their products. Seems odd it's been banned in the US but here, becoming very popular!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
It seems a little like rubbing salt into a wound, but at the Broadcast Video Expo in London this week, helicopter type devices are all over the place - a number of exhibitors showing off their products. Seems odd it's been banned in the US but here, becoming very popular!
Here's information and guidance from the the CAA. Unmanned Aircraft and Aircraft Systems | Aircraft | Operations and Safety

You should note the 20kg weight. Basic Principles | Aircraft | Operations and Safety

Plus pilot qualifications Pilot Qualifications | Aircraft | Operations and Safety
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #41
Trustee

LAPD cracks down on drone aircraft use by real estate agents - latimes.com

Pretty sad if you spent thousands on a flying rig, only to find that you can't use it. The only winner would be the person who sold it to you, he'll be laughing all the way to the bank!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #42
Major Player

Regarding the article subject matter: Exactly what part of the helicopter is susceptible to damage, let alone serious damage by collision with an RC copter?
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Regarding the article subject matter: Exactly what part of the helicopter is susceptible to damage, let alone serious damage by collision with an RC copter?
We had one of the guys at the local flying field loose control of his craft and it dove into an industrial building next to the field. Went through a rubber membrane roof, through the steel decking, and took a divot out of the concrete floor inside the building. Luckily it was a weekend and the building was closed.

These things weigh as much as a brick. Charge them with some momentum and they can do a lot of damage. Even if a UAV didn't do enough damage to cause a crash of the manned aircraft, have you ever looked into repair of anything that flies? It is very expensive to repair any damage to an aircraft. It is best to avoid the situation completely.
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #44
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Main rotor, tail rotor, antennae, engine, windscreen, pilot behind windscreen, any part of the airframe, for starters.

Even many small helicopters can cruise at more than 100 knots and the tips of their rotors are going several times faster and won't tolerate much imbalance. I don't know how fast these remote mini-copters move..I'll guess 20+ knots?

Would a 120+ mph impact to your car windshield concern you? (It should). Do you suppose a rotor blade moving at, say, 400mph, might suffer catastrophic damage if it met up with an object like one of these minis? (It would).

Not to take sides, but however the skies are shared, it must be in a way that highly assures aerial vehicles of any type don't have unintended meetings in the sky. And the Big Sky theory of air traffic control is less and less reliable as the skies get fuller and fuller.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:24 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
The difference is that in the UK the CAA have procedures in place for regulating drones doing aerial photography. However for even the smallest craft if the work is commercial then the operator needs to be properly licensed & pass an exam for a Basic National UAS Certificate for Small Unmanned Aircraft (BNUC-S). The CAA is quite tight on its definition of payment for aerial work & in one of their documents says that it's non-commercial & OK to do it for a pint of beer but that a whole case would count as aerial work.

So far the CAA has issued less than a couple of hundred licences to do aerial work with Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft (the majority of those to people at the BBC) so I suspect that most of the people buying DJI Phantoms & similar will be operating illegally.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras