DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Helicopter & 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/469494-helicopter-7d.html)

Lloyd Ubshura December 16th, 2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1461093)
LLoyd, Deshaker running in virtualdub will do wonders for this - it will take out the rolling shutter problem. I don't know the Deshaker rolling shutter setting for the 7D, but I use 70% for the 5DII and I expect the 7D is very similar. This really eliminates the CMOS issue from aerials. If you don't know how to set up Deshaker for this I can send you a white paper that describes how to do it. This also describes how to shoot through plexiglas without glare, and has a few other tips. Chuck

Thanks a lot! But pardon the question, is Deshaker a plugin? Does it work on Adobe Premiere? Also, what is virtualdub?

I was hoping to get the Magic Bullet stablizer plugin to work, but no luck so far. Just a bunch of crashing.

Lloyd Ubshura December 16th, 2009 08:08 PM

Oh, and by the way (I'm embarrassed to say this), that glare ISN'T from the plexiglass. That's from my dirty lens filter. I guess you're supposed to clean those things, eh?

Charles W. Hull December 16th, 2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Ubshura (Post 1461187)
.... is Deshaker a plugin? Does it work on Adobe Premiere? Also, what is virtualdub?

VirtualDub is a freeware processing utility Welcome to virtualdub.org! and it runs a whole host of filters that have been written for it.
Dehaker is a great video stabilizer Deshaker - video stabilizer that runs on VirtualDub.

Deshaker is unique in that it can take out the kind of rolling shutter that comes from moving a CMOS camera. It can also stabilize without "zooming in" the video, which is unique and very useful. Also Deshaker runs very fast compared to plug-in stabilizers. These characteristics make it ideal for aerial videos with our Canon DSLR video cameras.

Instead of VirtualDub I usually use Video Enhancer Video Enhancer to run Deshaker because I like the interface better. An email will be on the way - I hope.

Rick Hill December 16th, 2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1461093)
LLoyd, Deshaker running in virtualdub will do wonders for this - it will take out the rolling shutter problem. I don't know the Deshaker rolling shutter setting for the 7D, but I use 70% for the 5DII and I expect the 7D is very similar. This really eliminates the CMOS issue from aerials. If you don't know how to set up Deshaker for this I can send you a white paper that describes how to do it. This also describes how to shoot through plexiglas without glare, and has a few other tips. Chuck

I'm not so sure this footage can be helped much with deshaker alone. Much of this film is wide and there's lots of barrel distortion.

One thing I noticed is as good as deshaker is (and it is _really_ good) there is nothing it can do to fix barrel distortion. Even with deshaker fixing rolling shutter you will get a "jello" effect from the barrel distortion being "deshaked" alone.

I have not tried to do a barrel distortion fix before deshaking so this may be a possible fix for this issue, however.

Perrone Ford December 16th, 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1461253)
Also Deshaker runs very fast compared to plug-in stabilizers.

Not sure I'd agree with this, but if true, I feel bad for those using the plug-in stabilizers.

Paul Cronin December 17th, 2009 08:21 AM

Note any and all software you use after the fact will reduce resolution and sharpness. Better to nail the shot while shooting at the widest latitude to have a high quality clip.