DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   DJI Phantom Quadcopter First Flight -- Fail (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/515874-dji-phantom-quadcopter-first-flight-fail.html)

Taky Cheung April 16th, 2013 08:18 PM

DJI Phantom Quadcopter First Flight -- Fail

Saw it at NAB. Bought one. Tried it today for the very first time. It's very difficult to use. Definitely not for everybody. The propella is dangerous too. The jello effect makes the footage unusable. I will be waiting for the next version with the safely bumps and the Zenmus gimbal.

That thing landed on a tree at the end. I have to use a tripod in my car to poke it down

Chris Medico April 17th, 2013 05:44 AM

Re: DJI Phantom Quadcopter First Flight -- Fail

I think there are a number of people that are going to learn the same lesson very soon.

Stephen Mick April 17th, 2013 07:13 AM

How many years of experience do you have flying RC aerial gear, Taky?

Paul R Johnson April 17th, 2013 07:26 AM

What gave you the idea that it was going to be was and required no skills or practice? You can buy a Robinson R22, but you'd be a bit daft to hop in and expect to fly it on your first day! Ten minutes on Google reveals the various cures for the image wobble, and most of those also require experimentation and practice, not just an open wallet!

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2013 07:43 AM

We all start somewhere. I think the difference between me and Taky is that I wouldn't have uploaded my first flight video to YouTube. By the way, Taky -- I'm sorry I missed you at NAB this year! Sure hope to see you at the next one though.

Taky Cheung April 17th, 2013 08:49 AM

HEHEHE its operator error. I have no experience in fly RC before. It looks a lot easier operated by someone else. But the jello effect is obvious that makes the footage unusable. I was also stupid to stand in front of it during that off. It almost slice me in half... hahah.

.it was fun flying that too. I was worrying I lost control and this thing just lost in the air. Have heard of that many of that stories that Phantom decided to go somewhere on its own.

Chris..... yes hope to see you at NAB next year. :-)

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2013 09:01 PM

Thread moved from UWOL to our new UAV board.

Allan Black April 18th, 2013 12:08 AM

Member Chad Johnson almost had his finger sliced off by a propellor on a UAV chopper.

Chris might be good to add a disclaimer at the head of this board ..

eg: Readers please note: no responsability is accepted by DVinfo, for any advice given and followed by anyone reading it, either forum members,
guests or any members of the public.

Fly safely, keep within the laws of your state and country, and carry the correct phone numbers to immediately call for help.

When operating any machinery, safety is first, cameras and accessories always come second.
(something like that :)
Cheers.

Chris Hurd April 18th, 2013 06:54 AM

That's a very good idea, Allan, and I sure appreciate the suggestion. I should probably post a notice regarding the legal issues currently surrounding the operation of these machines in certain areas.

Frank Glencairn April 18th, 2013 07:13 AM

LOL, the - ever present - panic to get sued by someone, who doesn't want to be responsible for his own actions - how American ;-)

I know that might sound pretty old school, but how about some common sense?

Chris Medico April 18th, 2013 07:39 AM

Here in the USA the situation is complicated by a directive from the FAA that no "for hire" UAV flights occur without a waiver. To compound the potential problem is that the FAA operates under administrative law and the rules for evidence and guilt are not the same as under the criminal system.

Anyone in the USA wanting to use a UAV for a "for hire" job need to educate themselves on both the operational risks for the flight itself and the possible legal risks that can happen if you garner the attention of a regulatory body after the fact.

Chris Hurd April 18th, 2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn (Post 1791205)
the - ever present - panic to get sued by someone, who doesn't want to be responsible for his own actions - how American ;-)

It is true that the United States is indeed a highly litigious society. Thus, the need for disclaimers of all sorts (not that they are 100% effective against legal action -- far from it, but there's a start).

One week prior to NAB, a friend in Austin over dinner suggested that it's time for DVi to roll out a UAV forum. I pondered the current FAA issues here in the USA (wow, that's a lot of acronyms) and I winced. That's when he pointed out that DVi's audience is 50% international and not subject to pending stateside legislation governing the use of UAVs. That's great for DVi. Even if privately owned UAVs are suddenly outlawed in this country, we'd still have half of our audience!

Meanwhile I'd like to ask our friends in Europe and elsewhere to please not laugh and point too much while these issues get sorted out over here. There's no doubt that U.S. laws will be a frequent topic of discussion on this board. Please have something *helpful* to say if you want to weigh in on that. Thanks in advance,

Shaun Roemich April 18th, 2013 10:27 AM

No disrespect intended to ANYONE trying to learn UAV flight for any reason.

I LOVE the concept of helicopter/rotary wing flight. Back in the late 80's the Apache attack helicopter video game Gunship on my Commodore 64 ate up RIDICULOUS amounts of my time. I remember balancing collective, torque and pitch/yaw was difficult even back then.

I'm still a bit of a gamer. I bought the Activision XBox360 game Apache: Air Assault a year or two ago and thought I'd be able to jump right in...

I went straight to "Realistic" flight mode...

And crashed. Repeatedly. A LOT.

I went back and took the tutorial and it took me about 6 hours of "playing" to find that balance of power/collective/pitch/yaw that are required for precise control. When I play now, I look like a seasoned pro.

What does this have to do with UAV flight?

The physics are the same.

I haven't gotten up the urge yet to try an RC helicopter for fear that my fragile ego might become bruised even further but I'd come in with a background at least. Anyone CONSIDERING RC flight should start with realistic expectations:
- learn to apply power and stay on the ground, level
- learn to hover inches above the ground.

That's a good weekend right there...
Next:
- hover and rotate using tail rotor

Another great weekend.

- In a straight vertical line, ascend, hover and descend at a controlled rate.

That's probably a good two weeks.

Be realistic in your expectations if you are using something more than a children's toy optimized for in-flight stability.

If you aren't willing to put in the work, RC flight is probably not for you and you run the risk of seriously injuring someone while breaking expensive parts of your new "toy"...

My 2 cents...

Shaun Roemich April 18th, 2013 10:40 AM

Addendum: and ALL that above (the video game stuff...) is emulating SITTING INSIDE the blasted thing! Trying to keep track of pitch and yaw from the ground?

I think surgeons have an easier time... <tongue planted firmly in cheek>

Duane Adam April 18th, 2013 11:58 AM

Thumbs down for the copter, thumbs up for your music selection.

Allan Black April 18th, 2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1791201)
That's a very good idea, Allan, and I sure appreciate the suggestion. I should probably post a notice regarding the legal issues currently surrounding the operation of these machines in certain areas.

Chris, having dealt with writing disclaimers for airshows involving the public, imo we just have to be seen to be warning any readers
about the UAV 'dangers' in general.

There's no doubt some readers of this board will try flying a UAV, especially after watching good aerial videos posted here.

Trying to cover every single aspect in a public disclaimer, just invites trouble.

Cheers.

Paul Wags April 19th, 2013 04:37 AM

Great start, lol
Got one over here too, here is flight number 5.
Had it on attitude mode.
Gopro 2, waiting on parts to put a 2 axis gimbal on with with anti vibration.
They are certainly fun to fly :-)

Bryce Comer April 19th, 2013 10:19 AM

Hey great shots Paul,
You certainly found a great spot to fly your phantom! Ah Queensland, "Beautiful one day, perfect the next"! Shots like those make me miss Oz!
Certainly some jello in the footage. I had the same but managed to pretty much eliminate it by fashioning a mount out of aluminium & using soft foam tape, the kind used for sealing windows & doors (Read really soft!) With the gopro completely isolated from the mount in every way with the foam tape, the footage was really clean.
I too am building a mount with a servo to try to get better footage. I was going to start with a single axis gimbal though, & see how it goes. The new one from DJI-Innovations certainly looks like the goods, just a bit pricey!
At first the idea of the phantom was one of simply getting some establishing shots for a film i'm working on, but the more I practice with it, the more fun I realise it is!!!
Regards,
Bryce

Taky Cheung April 19th, 2013 02:11 PM

That's even just fun to watch. Thanks for sharing.

Dave Blackhurst April 19th, 2013 03:19 PM

It takes a while to get the hang of flying (or driving) any RC "toy", and one should take appropriate precautions (open areas, no "spectators" or other objects to collide with) until you get the hang of it. Go slow until you get the feel of the controls, and if you alter the airframe (by hanging stuff like cameras on it!), start all over until you readjust to the changes in "feel".

One never wants to memorialize the "first attempts"... they are not typically "pretty"!

Trond Saetre April 19th, 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1790913)
The jello effect makes the footage unusable. I will be waiting for the next version with the safely bumps and the Zenmus gimbal.

I also recently bought a DJI Phantom and GoPro 3, black.
Taky, have you balanced your propellers yet? That will help a lot to reduce the jello.
I have the gopro in the underwater housing, directly hard mounted to the Phantom, and I have not noticed any jello at all. (Filming in 1080p 25fps (pal), and the "medium" angle of view.)

Also make sure the gopro's wifi is turned off while you fly, because it might interfere with the radio rx of the Phantom.

John Richard April 20th, 2013 08:37 AM

Have been flying and experimenting one of the Phantoms with the latest GoPro for a couple of months.

First, buy a Prop Balancer from a hobby shop - about $25 - balancing the props makes a big difference in Rolling Shutter Jello Cam.

2nd - experiment with flexible material like foam packing or other "gooshy" material between the attachment mount plate and the Phantom where the GoPro mounts.

3rd - set the GoPro at 2.7k and 30fps

4rth - if you have CS6 use the Warp Stabilizer in Premiere or After Effects to remove an remaining Jello Cam effect. It also stabilizes the footage very well with a little scaling (but you are shooting 2.7k at wide angle so it ends up very well at 1080)

But most of all, practice flying a lot in wide open spaces with no people in the area - even without the camera to get extra battery life. Do not start learning if there is wind.

Other tips are not to use the GoPro Wi-Fi while flying the Phantom as it is reported that the remote control and GoPro Wi-fi operate on the same frequency. You could lose control of the Phantom.

Watch the training videos before your first flight.

Get a second battery for more flight time training.

There were new gimbals for the Phantom/GoPro setup being shown at NAB and that would be fantastic.

Also, there are now pre-balanced carbon fiber props which also take away the vibration causing jello cam.

These Phantoms are doable with a little practice - you want to get yourself to a point where you can fly in Attitude Mode instead of the easier GPS Mode as the Phantom is not constantly adjusting itself causing movement-jerks in the footage. I am not there yet. But am still getting good footage in GPS mode and then Warp Stabilizing.

There is also a software program from DJI that allows you to occasionally re-calibrate the electronic nav control in the Phantom that can be knocked out of wack by the crashes.

These things are pretty rugged. They are much easier to learn than the old single rotor choppers. I tried the single rotor and failed. Still sitting broken. This multi-blade is much easier to learn.

Finally, use common sense and put yourself is wide open safe training areas on low wind times and get good. Never fly close to people or animals

Trevor Dennis April 20th, 2013 02:58 PM

My wife gave me a helicopter lesson for my 40th birthday way back. The instructor was ex army, and he did things in that helicopter I didn't even know were possible, like an unpowered landing. In fact he aborted the first attempt, but the second went well, and it was surprisingly smooth.

During the lesson he tried an experiment. He said what if he suddenly became paralysed but could still talk? Would he be able to help me fly the helicopter with voice commands? Well it lasted all of ten seconds before a series of over corrections had the helicopter swaying one way and then the other, and scary out of control. It was 'hard'.

I suspect that model helicopters would be even more difficult to fly, which adds up to very difficult indeed.

Steve Nunez April 20th, 2013 08:04 PM

I have one of these DJI Phantoms also and am using it with a Contour Roam at 1080P.....very cool toy!

Mac McGillivray April 20th, 2013 09:57 PM

I have been flying RC planes, helis and multi-rotor aircraft for awhile now and the best money I have spent on the hobby is when I bought an RC flight simulator. There are a few out there like Great Plane's Real Flight, AeroSIM-RC, Phoenix.... Google the term "RC flight simulators".

AeroSIM-RC was $100 well spent. It has all the above mentioned aircraft with a large selection of multi-rotors. Quads, Hexs, Octos

Sims are a great way to learn, and you save time and money from breaking / crashing your aircraft when you're trying to learn a new maneuver. In a Sim if you crash you just press a button and start over.

With AeroSIM-RC you do need to have your own radio to use it and the right usb cable for your radio. Real Flight comes with a radio and lots of different types of aircraft to fly, but it is very limited on the number of multi-rotors you can fly.

They even have training for all the things you want to learn how to do, even flying in windy conditions.

Now all that being said, you still need to put time in on an actual aircraft to become proficient, but at least you'll know what is supposed to happen when you move your sticks in any direction.

Digitally,
Mac

Mike Watson April 21st, 2013 12:07 AM

Taky,

Loved the video. Four stars. Two thumbs up. Particularly enjoyed the part at :25 where you dive out of the way. LOL'd.

I agree with Chris, the only difference between you and I is that I would not have had the guts to upload it to the interwebs.

Can't wait to see round two!

Taky Cheung April 21st, 2013 12:18 AM

hahah! thanks! It's good to be able to laugh at one self. and I did just that. I also posted it in YouTube comment that was more operator error. I have seen really good Phantom footage. So I know the problem is me. I need more time to practice that for sure.

It was also stupid to stand in front of it during take off.. for obvious reason :)

I uploaded one just to show my friends how it turns out. Then my friends laughed so bad about it and ask me to put some dramatic music behind. and I did just that too :)

Chuck Spaulding April 21st, 2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1791677)
hahah! thanks! It's good to be able to laugh at one self. and I did just that. I also posted it in YouTube comment that was more operator error. I have seen really good Phantom footage. So I know the problem is me. I need more time to practice that for sure.

It was also stupid to stand in front of it during take off.. for obvious reason :)

I uploaded one just to show my friends how it turns out. Then my friends laughed so bad about it and ask me to put some dramatic music behind. and I did just that too :)

Loved your sense of humor. Keep practicing, they're not that difficult to fly and can be a lot of fun. Also you might need to adjust your expectations a bit, its one thing to be good at flying them and another to get good aerial video but it starts with a lot of practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wags (Post 1791410)
Great start, lol
Got one over here too, here is flight number 5.
Had it on attitude mode.
Gopro 2, waiting on parts to put a 2 axis gimbal on with with anti vibration.
They are certainly fun to fly :-)

Cairns Redlynch Quadcopter DJI Phantom Flight #5 - YouTube

Paul, great video. Obviously not your first time flying an RC. Sorry for sounding negative but by flying directly over those kids your putting a lot of faith in DJI. DJI's are certainly more accessible, easier to fly than most multirotors but they're probably the most unreliable as well. They have had a lot of issues with their props, ESC's and motors failing.

Be careful and fly these things as though you know they're going to crash.

Craig Chartier April 23rd, 2013 09:40 PM

Its one thing to just buy a cool RC and go play around with it, flying over the trees, flying over the car, chasing the cat,,,

One of the great things about this new forum is that its about guys discussing getting the shot. Its much harder to fly point to point and do it over and over for the producer until you hit the open window on the 2nd floor just right.

When, and not IF, the FAA finally gets the rules up and going, it will be the guys that spent hours getting their RC out of the trees that will be first to the bank with a check for services.

The Phantom is a great trainer. and will help you get up to the next level.

The earlier post about simulators will also help get your stick fingers in shape. You can always hit the reset and it wont cost you any more money.

Jody Arnott April 23rd, 2013 10:22 PM

I'm into RC flying as a hobby, and I'm seriously looking at buying one of these. It would be a great way to get that unique shot that sets your video apart from the rest.

For people looking to get into flying these, I'd recommend Phoenix Sim. It's a bit more expensive than most, but the realism and graphics are unmatched by others sims in my opinion.

You can buy it bundled with a controller to use, which can also be used to fly Parkzone/E-flite planes and helis when you inevitably get addicted to the hobby ;)

RUNTIME GAMES LTD Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator V4.0 w/DX5e Mode 2 (RTM40R5510) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and acces

My point is that you really can't just pick up one of these things and expect to be able to fly it. It's definitely a skill, it takes a lot of practise, and the cheapest way to achieve that is by using a simulator.

Mac McGillivray April 24th, 2013 09:50 AM

Agreed!

Digitally,
Mac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1792216)
My point is that you really can't just pick up one of these things and expect to be able to fly it. It's definitely a skill, it takes a lot of practise, and the cheapest way to achieve that is by using a simulator.

Damian Heffernan May 15th, 2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1791240)
Addendum: and ALL that above (the video game stuff...) is emulating SITTING INSIDE the blasted thing! Trying to keep track of pitch and yaw from the ground?

I think surgeons have an easier time... <tongue planted firmly in cheek>

Back then (and even now) you didn't have autopilot and gps stabilisation technology for your copter. Flying these quads, octocopters etc has been made far easier by these technologies. A bit of practice, read the instructions, watch lots of youtube examples and learn the capabilities of your vehicle and you're up and flying.

George Cummings May 28th, 2013 09:55 AM

Looking forward to a forum where input of do's and don'ts, sharing can really #1 keep everyone safe, continually improve quality of aerial projects and eventually do our part to inform FAA with suggestions that will jump start the US aerial industry which has a potential for 100s if not 1,000s of good payinng jobs. I see a future of aircraft with IDents same as real aircraft, required ground or R/C pilot school, insurance, ... I'm hopefull that everyone on this forum agrees we want to promote the benefits of aerial aircraft before the fears of misuse of aerial shooting kills this emerging industry.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Chartier (Post 1792211)
Its one thing to just buy a cool RC and go play around with it, flying over the trees, flying over the car, chasing the cat,,,

One of the great things about this new forum is that its about guys discussing getting the shot. Its much harder to fly point to point and do it over and over for the producer until you hit the open window on the 2nd floor just right.

When, and not IF, the FAA finally gets the rules up and going, it will be the guys that spent hours getting their RC out of the trees that will be first to the bank with a check for services.

The Phantom is a great trainer. and will help you get up to the next level.

The earlier post about simulators will also help get your stick fingers in shape. You can always hit the reset and it wont cost you any more money.