DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flying Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/)
-   -   Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flying-cameras/534641-drone-striking-southwest-airlines-737-how-faked.html)

Donald McPherson September 7th, 2017 03:19 PM

Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Noa Put September 7th, 2017 03:58 PM

re: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Looks fake to me

Brent Kaplan September 7th, 2017 06:54 PM

it is fake

Dave Blackhurst September 8th, 2017 01:57 AM

A special effects guy showing his "chops"... you can't always believe what you see!

Donald McPherson September 8th, 2017 04:06 AM

Had me fooled. But I could totally see this or similar happen for real in the future. But hope not.

David Barnett September 8th, 2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1936247)
Had me fooled. But I could totally see this or similar happen for real in the future. But hope not.

A drone wouldn't do anywhere near that amount of damage. Planes are going about 200mph on landing, what do drones max at, 25mph. Let alone mass, strength of build & momentum.

Yeah, its possible some idiot might try flying nearby an airport. I think you're not allowed to within 5 miles, a friend told me his drone (DJI?) won't even take off if its in a no fly zone, just give an error message. I'm surprised tho no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents. You really do realize how dangerous they can be.

Jeff Pulera September 8th, 2017 01:11 PM

How the video was built -

Regarding realism - with the jet traveling a minimum of 100+ mph, we wouldn't actually see the drone enter the picture over several frames, would just be a streak and gone.

Gary Huff September 9th, 2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1936260)
I'm surprised tho no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents. You really do realize how dangerous they can be.

How dangerous they can be? And yet you're surprised that no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents?

First, depends on what kind of a drone you're talking about. A Mavic falling into a highway probably wouldn't cause much damage. Most of that would be from someone overreacting to having something hit them and driving into other cars. A Phantom a little bit more so, but not that much. Those are the two most popular sizes of drones. An Inspire and an Octocopter can definitely do damage, but you rarely see those, and the price usually keeps them out of reach from the knuckleheads.

As someone who does a lot of driving, a drone over the highway is not even something I'm looking out for.

Chris Hurd September 9th, 2017 05:21 PM

Re: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Thread title changed...

was: Can clearly see drone hit plane.

now: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Donald McPherson September 10th, 2017 06:00 AM

Thanks, Chris. I should have done a bit of research before I posted my fake news. But you must admit. To the untrained eye, it was well done.

Gary Huff September 10th, 2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1936305)
To the untrained eye, it was well done.

There's also an element of confirmation bias. You believe drones are dangerous, therefore video showing a drone taking off the tip of a wing rings true to you. It looks good, yes, but no, a Phantom drone will not cause that kind of damage. The drone would be shattered, and probably scrape up the paint on the plane.

David Barnett September 11th, 2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Huff (Post 1936278)
How dangerous they can be? And yet you're surprised that no drones have crashed on highways and caused accidents?

First, depends on what kind of a drone you're talking about. A Mavic falling into a highway probably wouldn't cause much damage. Most of that would be from someone overreacting to having something hit them and driving into other cars. A Phantom a little bit more so, but not that much. Those are the two most popular sizes of drones. An Inspire and an Octocopter can definitely do damage, but you rarely see those, and the price usually keeps them out of reach from the knuckleheads.

As someone who does a lot of driving, a drone over the highway is not even something I'm looking out for.

I guess I was referring to driving down the road/highway & all is fine at 50mph, then suddenly this plastic thing lands right in front of you. Completely surprised & caught off guard, you swerve to avoid. Sure, its not very likely to happen, and drones don't crash often, but it only takes once.

I'm aware a small 10 lb drone wouldn't typically do much damage to an automobile, but I was more referring to drivers swerving (rightfully so) to avoid whatever it is that landed on them. Think of traffic on I-95 or something.

Jeff Pulera September 11th, 2017 02:41 PM

"a small 10 lb drone wouldn't typically do much damage to an automobile"

"A Mavic falling into a highway probably wouldn't cause much damage"

Surprised at the comments inferring that a drone strike to a car wouldn't do much damage. I recently caught a rock to the windshield and it almost broke all the way through. A drone weighing several pounds with a NiCad battery brick at 70+ MPH? No thank you sir.

Regards,

Gary Huff September 11th, 2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera (Post 1936344)
drone weighing several pounds with a NiCad battery brick at 70+ MPH? No thank you sir.

You apparently don't have any experience with these devices if you think a Mavic or even a Phantom weighs "several pounds".

Plus, most of the time you notice a rock is when it hits your windshield. Given the nature of a drone, hitting your windshield is odds I'd be willing to play. A rock kicked up from the ground by a truck or other vehicle is far more concerning.

Paul Reeber September 19th, 2017 05:37 PM

Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone. I don't think a drone could do any significant damage.