DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Rebooting Probelm with two FS-4HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/235877-rebooting-probelm-two-fs-4hd.html)

J.P. Leong May 22nd, 2009 09:31 AM

Rebooting Probelm with two FS-4HD

Hi, last night we were at a two-camera shoot. Both HVR-Z1Us were equipped with FS-4HDs. With everything plugged in, we turned on the cameras first to setup shots. Then, we fired up the FS-4HDs at which point all they did was cycle on (color backlight) then cycle off. Whenever we'd unplug an FS-4HD it would complete the boot but as soon as we plugged it back in, the same problem would occur.

The strange thing about this is that we used one of the (same) cameras with the (same) FS-4HD in the exact same way the night before without a hitch.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened?

JP

Bob Hart May 23rd, 2009 12:02 AM

Two weird way-out suggestions until better wisdom comes along.

1. If there has been a file transfer session since last shoot, go through the menus and make sure the unit in its mode as a disk drive mounted to the computer is not still seeing itself as a disk drive. I think they reset after you shut down but am not so sure now I think about it.

If it is a Windows PC, you should not just simply unplug the drive from your computer after a file transfer has been done but use the "safely disconnect hardware" function which you find down in the right bottom corner toolbar of the Windows screen.

Leopard Macs mess up some CF cards and will cause a fault on SxS cards so if you have used your Firestore to a Leopard Mac, then something might have gone astray. You might need to re-format the Firestore's disk before it plays nice.

2. Change the start-up order. Boot the Firestores first, give them time to settle down and stop, then switch on the cameras. The Firestores may then detect a changed state and "see" the cameras.

I know only enough about these to be a danger unto myself so please defer to the knowledge of others who respond to your post.

Sherri Nestico May 23rd, 2009 11:13 PM

We had two FS-4s that continually rebooted when plugged in to our HVR-V1Us. And, like you, it happened just out of the blue right after a successful shoot the day before.
After checking connections, cable, a known good FS-4...off they went to Focus Enhancements for repair under warranty. One got sent back saying they couldn't duplicate the problem (which I find hard to believe, but whatever), but it stopped acting up. The second FS-4 came back with a notation indicating a software update had been installed. Both have worked fine since.
Since I tested the drives after my photographers had used them, I don't know if they shut them down properly after using them on their Macs or what they did to them, if anything. But something corrupted the OS. The points Bob mentions sound plausible.

J.P. Leong May 26th, 2009 12:21 PM

Thanks! I will try some of these suggestions. Anyone know how well Focus Enhancements Support is functioning in the midst of their bankruptcy?

JP