DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FOCUS Enhancements Now Shipping FireStore FS-4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/40420-focus-enhancements-now-shipping-firestore-fs-4-a.html)

Gary Bettan March 2nd, 2005 05:46 PM

FOCUS Enhancements Now Shipping FireStore FS-4

World's first portable Direct To Edit recorder for hand-held digital camcorders (March 02,2005)

"We are pleased to begin production shipments of FS-4 after a comprehensive and successful beta test program," said Matt McEwen, product manager for FOCUS Enhancements. "The demand and significant back-orders we have seen for this product supports our belief that tapeless acquisition and DTE Technology are quickly becoming the accepted standard for field production."

FireStore FS-4 is available now through the worldwide FOCUS Enhancements and Canon USA dealer and distributor networks for a US MSRP of $799, although there are several weeks of back logged orders before general availability. FireStore FS-4PRO 40GB and 80GB are expected to be available in late March 2005 for a US MSRP of $1,195 and $1,595 respectively.

We are having units flown into us and hope to ship out all backorders by the end of next week! http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

Gary
Videoguys.com

Rob Mitchell March 31st, 2005 09:20 AM

As of March 31st, B&H actually has the FS-4 in stock and have filled their back orders.

Gary Bettan March 31st, 2005 09:29 AM

We've been getting units in over the past 2 weeks. All pre-orders were shipped, but we're still not getting enough units to meet demand.

Our next shipment (coming next week) should be enough to get us into a stock situation.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Rob Mitchell March 31st, 2005 11:16 AM

Sorry Gary,
Didn't mean to step on you guys like that. I should have read the post better. I was just happy to actually be able to pick one up. I completely support Videoguys as well.

Gary Bettan March 31st, 2005 11:33 AM

No problem. It's been hell getting units from Focus. They are ramping up as fast as they can, but they ahave not been able to keep up with demand.

FS-4 is a hit all over the world! B&H and Videoguys have to be patient while units go to Europe, Asia and South America.

As I said, hopefully by next week we'll have good supplies of FS-4 throughout the USA.

Gary

Karl Heiner March 31st, 2005 10:31 PM

just got the e-mail from b&h. my new toy, fs-4, is on the way. delv. day monday 4.

greetings

Karl Heiner April 5th, 2005 06:29 PM

just received my fs-4 by ups.
did a quick lock at it, put the batt in,
guess what, the cooling fan is very laud, and also, when moving the unit around, the fan blades rub on something, so i guess i have to call the service center, and see how they want to handle this problem.
i wished a camera mount would be part of the unit..but

greetings

Aaron Koolen April 5th, 2005 07:09 PM

Karl, how loud are these things in a real shooting environment? If say you were shooting a short film, with audio boomed etc, would you still hear the thing in the background? Just curious as I'd love to get into tapeless recording!

Aaron

Karl Heiner April 5th, 2005 07:24 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Karl, how loud are these things in a real shooting environment? If say you were shooting a short film, with audio boomed etc, would you still hear the thing in the background? Just curious as I'd love to get into tapeless recording!

Aaron -->>>

hello aaron,

i like to think that i have a defective unit, since the fan is very loud. most of my shootings are in a theater setting, and at most of them i get the audio by an on board mice. it would pick up the fan noise,..... boomed out, i say no.

greetings

Karl Heiner April 6th, 2005 06:17 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Karl, how loud are these things in a real shooting environment? If say you were shooting a short film, with audio boomed etc, would you still hear the thing in the background? Just curious as I'd love to get into tapeless recording!

Aaron -->>>

hello aaron,

called the focus support number today, and spoke to one of their reps. he listens, he gave me a ra number, fedex number, and ask me to return the unit for a replacement.
unfortunely they do not have a "store", i am just around the corner and willing to pick up a new unit.

greetings

Aaron Koolen April 6th, 2005 09:28 PM

Thanks for the update Karl.

Cheers
Aaron

Rob Mitchell April 7th, 2005 10:38 AM

Hey Karl,
Just got my FS-4 yesterday and got really worried by your post. I guess you did just get a bad unit. My fan is loud on powering up the unit, but just for about 3-4 seconds and then is unbelievably quiet. I could definitely shoot with it mounted on the back of the XL-2 without worrying about the mic picking up noise.

Hope they look after you quickly. Good luck.
Rob

David Yuen April 7th, 2005 01:00 PM

The fan comes back on

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Mitchell : Hey Karl,
Just got my FS-4 yesterday and got really worried by your post. I guess you did just get a bad unit. My fan is loud on powering up the unit, but just for about 3-4 seconds and then is unbelievably quiet. I could definitely shoot with it mounted on the back of the XL-2 without worrying about the mic picking up noise. -->>>

Have you done a shoot with it? I'm pretty sure the fan will come back on periodically once you start recording.

I have let it idle in an air-conditioned office and when the fan kicks on, it is still quite audible from a few feet away.

Karl Heiner April 7th, 2005 03:57 PM

Re: The fan comes back on

<<<-- Originally posted by David Yuen : <<<-- Originally posted by Rob Mitchell : Hey Karl,
Just got my FS-4 yesterday and got really worried by your post. I guess you did just get a bad unit. My fan is loud on powering up the unit, but just for about 3-4 seconds and then is unbelievably quiet. I could definitely shoot with it mounted on the back of the XL-2 without worrying about the mic picking up noise. -->>>

Have you done a shoot with it? I'm pretty sure the fan will come back on periodically once you start recording.

I have let it idle in an air-conditioned office and when the fan kicks on, it is still quite audible from a few feet away. -->>>

hello david,

no, i just charged up the batts. since in my case it's not just an operating noise, it sounds like it "grinds on something. i did not want to damage the unit.
it's like you said, start up in high speed, and then off/ or much lower speed, but.....was trying it several time with no change.

greetings

David Yuen April 7th, 2005 04:02 PM

Shooting with a mounted FS-4

Ah, I was referring to the statement about shooting with the FS-4 mounted on the XL-2. In my case, there is no way I would consider mounting it on my GL2 with the fan noise level, especially if I'm relying on my onboard mic.