DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Is Focus Enhancements still in business? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/481146-focus-enhancements-still-business.html)

Ed Fiebke June 30th, 2010 08:19 AM

Is Focus Enhancements still in business?

Hello -

I'm thinking about purchasing a second video camera and second recording device from Focus Enhancements. Went to their web site to check out their products. The web site seems to be down; not working at all. It's as if it's been totally deactivated. I know that the company went through bankruptcy, but thought it remained relatively intact and was still doing business. Is this company still in business?? (I noticed that their products can still be purchased at BH Photo/Video.) Are they doing business under another name? Do they have another web site??

I have, and use extensively, their FS-4 Pro. I would have no problem purchasing another product from them. Hopefully they're still in business. . .

Thank you. . .

Ed (Ted) Fiebke

David Knarr June 30th, 2010 06:24 PM

Ed,
Focus Enhancemets Europe site is still up and running Focus Enhancements - Europe | Middle East | Africa : ProxSys MA Media Archiving, ProxSys PX Media Asset Managemnet, Universal Media Converter MC-HD1, Video Capture & Recording FS-H200, FS-5, FS-100

David Knarr June 30th, 2010 06:26 PM

Ed, also their phone number still works. Maybe they are having problems with their website.

Ed Fiebke July 1st, 2010 05:16 AM

First, thank you for your response, David. It's heartening to see that their European web-site is still up and running. (I didn't know they had a European web site.) Also, retailers like BH Photo/Video and Videoguys still sell their products. Hopefully this will still be the case when I'm ready to make the purchased (which will probably be towards the end of the year).

But US Focus Enhancements web site is still down. . .

Dan Asseff July 1st, 2010 07:10 AM

I have there FS-5 and it works pretty well. It was my first taste of tapeless. Get a second battery if you get one.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

William Hohauser July 1st, 2010 09:06 AM

The web site hasn't worked for over a month. Or it's down every time I try to get to it. From what I read, Focus is trying to re-organize as a privately owned company, not a share holder corporation. Whatever this means, it might prevent them from interacting directly with the public until the obligations to the United States corporate investors are straightened out. The German division of the company is not a part of the bankruptcy. Reminds me a little of when what was left of Commodore Computers ended up in Germany for a little while.

Dave Stern July 1st, 2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knarr (Post 1544007)
Ed, also their phone number still works. Maybe they are having problems with their website.

interesting thread (maybe b/c I have a firestore).

I called a few of their #'s yesterday out of interest .. the IVR is still running (so they are still paying for that!) but I did not get a person to answer at either their sales support # or one other .. just went to voice mail

Jon Shuler July 1st, 2010 10:42 AM

I need to send my FS-C in for service but since their website is down I cannot fill out the RMA form. Emailed support and waiting for answer. If their website continues to be down and no one can contact them I would be leery of buying something from them.

Jon

Dave Stern July 2nd, 2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Shuler (Post 1544252)
I need to send my FS-C in for service but since their website is down I cannot fill out the RMA form. Emailed support and waiting for answer. If their website continues to be down and no one can contact them I would be leery of buying something from them.

Jon

Mind if I ask what service your unit needs? E.g. was it result of a drop, etc. or is it something more related to the connectors, hard drive etc? just curious to know if there's anything based on your experience to look out for and/or avoid (if you can say)

Jon Shuler July 4th, 2010 07:19 PM

Was trying to update the firmware but kept getting an error message. Sending it in to have them upgrade it for me.

Dave Stern July 7th, 2010 10:07 AM

thanks, good to know!

Ed Fiebke July 10th, 2010 01:39 AM

Update -

Just checked the Focus Enhancement web site. There's a message that the site is down for "maintenance" but will be up again with new announcements.

This is encouraging. :)

Dave Stern July 10th, 2010 06:07 PM

depends on what the new announcements are! :-)

Ed Roo July 11th, 2010 07:41 AM

In the top right corner of that page you will see links to Deutsch and Chinese.
If you click on Deutsch it will take you to the old english home page.
If you click on Chinese it will take you to a chinese home page.
Another thing I did was try Focus Enhancements.

It appears that none of these pages have been updated since 10 April 2010.

Chris Hurd July 11th, 2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Roo (Post 1547363)
...none of these pages have been updated since 10 April 2010.

Just a couple of months ago -- how is that even an issue?

I would call that a fairly recent update.