DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS-CF Audio drops out, picture freezes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/483981-fs-cf-audio-drops-out-picture-freezes.html)

Mike Hammond August 28th, 2010 04:36 PM

FS-CF Audio drops out, picture freezes

Hi everyone,

Just used my FS-CF for the first time at a wedding and, luckily, I shot to tape as well. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on here.

I'm using the unit with an XH-A1s and it looked like everything was working fine. When I hit record on the camera, the FS-CF started right up.

Now I've downloaded some to my computer and about 3 or 4 seconds into each clip, the picture freezes and the audio stops. This frozen shot will stay for almost half a clip, then the picture will start up again, and then the audio pops back in for the last 3 or 4 seconds of the clip.

Before the gig, I chose the recording mode "retro cache" thinking that meant the unit would include stuff that happened right before I hit "record" on the camera. Before today, I think all the test clips I shot with this were fine.

Is that the problem or has my new unit gone blotto? I can post screens of the M2T file in Vegas if it will help.

EDIT: I wanted to add a few more bits of info here in case it helps someone to figure out what might be going on. While a vast majority of the clips exhibit the crummy behavior, a few do play correctly all the way through - though not many at all. Also, some play the picture all the way through but the audio drops out.

The bad clips came from two seperate cards (both transcend 400X 32GB CF) so I'm thinking both cards can't be bad. I was hoping the first one I looked at was just a piece of crap card. I worked in all environments, inside in the AC, outside in the 80* sun, in the shade. Even the first clips I shot in the day were bad so I'm guessing it's not environmental.

Thanks much!

Ed Roo August 28th, 2010 07:41 PM

I noticed some frame skipping/freezing when I viewed my files after importing them FCP7.
When I checked the raw QT files, they played smoothly.
haven't exported the FCP files to DVD to see if the artifacts really do exist or if they were just something happening in FCP.

Mike Hammond August 29th, 2010 05:34 AM

My files are definitely screwed up. I even watched them straight from the card into the computer, so I bypassed Vegas to try them out.

Greg Gerber August 31st, 2010 12:22 PM

Mike,

Are you using the FS-CF Pro or the FS-CF? I didn't think the FS-CF version supported "retro cache".

Greg

Mestizo Devon August 31st, 2010 01:15 PM

Format the cards in the cf unit
Run test footage
I had some issues with footage I lost, only test footage but lost none the less.
These units have certain card speed that you need to use
I have not run into this again but play it safe!

Mike Hammond September 1st, 2010 06:39 AM

Hi Greg,

Yes, I'm using the FS-CF. It does have retro-cache (though I haven't figured out how to set it up yet - too damn busy). The CF is supposed to be the FS-H200 exactly, except that it supports all the Canon frame rates.

Mestizo,

I always formatted the cards in the unit. Never had the problem until I selected retro cache as a recording option. Once I took that off (meaning no retor cahce option) everything is coming out fine.

I still would like to know if anyone has any ideas why selecting retro-cache might cause my problem.

Thanks!

Mestizo Devon September 1st, 2010 01:09 PM

Hmmm
I'll have to pay close attention to that
I'll give it a shot

Greg Gerber September 1st, 2010 02:45 PM

Hi Mike,

The fault could be caused by how the XH-A1s handles the HDV/.m2t file processing. (ie. starting and stopping with the record button plus a 2 to 4 second delay sending the signal down the firewire cable depending if the camera is paused or stopped.)

I have been wanting to test this with my FS-C.

I will test it right now.

Greg

Mestizo Devon September 1st, 2010 06:53 PM

mike,
I can confirm that the retro cache is screwing up the files
not all but some just will not open and play.
I used a 533x card
the quicktime wrapper and I control the fs-cf pro with my xha1s.
So not sure whats causing this?

Greg Gerber September 2nd, 2010 02:25 PM

Mike & Mestizo,

XH-A1+FS-C+retro cache+tapeless=no dropped frames

XH-A1+tape+FS-C+retro cache=dropped frames

XH-A1 appears to interruping firewire signal when it starts recording to tape.

Greg

Mestizo Devon September 2nd, 2010 03:37 PM

I wasn't using tape in my test, it was recorded only to the cf card

Greg Gerber September 3rd, 2010 10:59 AM

Mestizo,

What camera are you using? Are all your settings set to tapeless on the FS-CF Pro?

Greg