DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS-4 Pro HD--Any fix for HDV time code issue?? Matt? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/72841-fs-4-pro-hd-any-fix-hdv-time-code-issue-matt.html)

Matt McEwen November 6th, 2006 05:17 PM

Hi Jerry,

All of the current FS-portable products (FS-100, FS-C, DR-HD100, FS-4 all versions) will work with the VX2100. You will need to have a tape in the camcorder if you want to trigger record from the camera and use the cam as your TCG. You can record in AVI Type 2 file format or any of up to 10 other file formats including QuickTime (for FCP), Matrox, Canopus etc. From your description and your future plans, I would recommend the FS-C or the FS-4Pro HD models. The FS-C comes with a mount for Canon XL series camcorders, but for your VX, I would recommend either belt mount or purchasing the optional cam mount kit that mounts to the hot-shoe. Please also note that we have not as yet received the new Canon camera (A1 or G1) in our lab to test, nor can we guarantee FS-C/FS-4 will work with all new Canon cameras, but it appears to be OK based on some users reports. We will announce to this forum once we have completed full tests.

Thanks,
Matt

Scott Vystrcil November 8th, 2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
If you are referring to TC issues with the Z1 and the m2t file format, no there is no update as of yet. The issue is with the m2t file format and not necessarily the Sony camera. TC works fine now for QuickTime HDV recordings with the Sony Z1 and the 2.0 software version for FS-4ProHD/-C/DR-HD100. If you were speaking of another issue, let me know.

Do you know if I can use the QuickTime HDV with Canopus? Is it the same quality as the m2t format?

Danny Fye November 16th, 2006 04:15 PM

Sony HC1 and the FS-4HD

I have two Sony HC1's and am thinking about getting an FS-4 to record HDV. Do any of the issues that I read about in this thread apply to this camera?

Note, for budget reasons I am looking at the FS-4HD not the pro version and I will probably have to buy only one now and get another one sometime later when my budget allows.

I am tired of the hours of capturing plus the extra unreliability of tape when it comes to HDV. I don't want to buy a FS-4HD to find out I can only use it with SD.

Thanks,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

Matt McEwen November 16th, 2006 08:41 PM

What NLE are you using? Make sure the FS-4 based product you buy has the version 1.1 software installed on it.
Matt

Danny Fye November 16th, 2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

What NLE are you using? Make sure the FS-4 based product you buy has the version 1.1 software installed on it.
Matt

I am using Vegas 7. I have been looking at buying from VideoGuys or B&H.

Thanks for the reply,

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

Danny Fye November 17th, 2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Matt

Hello Matt,

I sincerely hope you or someone here can tell me if this will defintely work with my Sony HC1 using HDV or not tonight 11-17-2006 because I plan on ordering one from VideoGuys tomorow 11-18-2006.

I am using Sony Vegas 7 Plus DVD.

Sorry about the mad rush and all but it has to do with my ability to get the needed funds.

Thanks much in advance,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

Danny Fye November 18th, 2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Matt

How would I know what version is installed on it? The ads don't say what version is installed on it.

I went to the VideoGuys page and added an FS-4 HD to the cart. Problem is, it said that it was an FS-4 with a free upgrade to HD. So are they just selling FS-4's with the upgrade instead of the new FS-4 HD? Would the FS-4 they are selling have the version 1.1 installed on it? Will the included HD upgrade make it version 1.1?

Sorry, but I am quite a bit confused about all this stuff and in great need for some answers.

I did get the funds I needed anyway, but I am trying to sort out who I should buy the FS-4 HD from. Would be nice if I could afford the extra for the 'pro' model but the FS-4 HD is pushing my budget limits as it is.

Will someone who has answers I need please respond?

Thanks Much in advance,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

Matt McEwen November 20th, 2006 01:08 PM

Hi Danny,

An FS-4 with the HD upgrade included will be the same as an FS-4 HD model. I cannot be sure exactly what Videoguys is selling, but in the end, you should be getting the same product. If your unit only has the version 1.0 firmware on it, you will need to update to the version 1.1 firmware (this is a free download from the Focus support site). Your unit may already have 1.1 loaded on it, so this step may be unnecessary. To check which version of firmware is on your unit, navigate to the SETUP menu. The version # will be listed.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Danny Fye November 20th, 2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Hi Danny,

An FS-4 with the HD upgrade included will be the same as an FS-4 HD model. I cannot be sure exactly what Videoguys is selling, but in the end, you should be getting the same product. If your unit only has the version 1.0 firmware on it, you will need to update to the version 1.1 firmware (this is a free download from the Focus support site). Your unit may already have 1.1 loaded on it, so this step may be unnecessary. To check which version of firmware is on your unit, navigate to the SETUP menu. The version # will be listed.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Yes, this does help and thanks.

I bought one from B&H because I didn't know what VideoGuys were really selling. Looked like it was the older model with an upgrade included. I don't really know for sure but the ad says it is an FS-4 HD but the cart says it is an FS-4 with free upgrade to HD.

So apparently they are selling FS-4's with the free HD upgrade instead of the FS-4 HD unit itself. Does that really matter? I don't know. It's just that the switch in information from the ad to the cart bugged me.

When one is spending the maximum of their budget for something online they need consistent information. Inconsistent information will scare a customer away faster than anything. Also seems that the ones that are FS-4 HD would have been more recently manufactered and the other ones would be somewhat older. Earlier they had a differently worded ad that said while supplies last.

Looks like VideoGuys need to update their web page a bit. It just cost them a customer.

Finally, VideoGuys "30-day Money-Back Guarantee" does not apply to this item. From what I read in their terms, it is 10 days instead. Maybe they need to be more specific when it comes to this item?

B&H provided complete, accurate and consistent information. They also had a picture that could actually be enlarged, not one of those teeny-tiny pictures that I hate and that what too many sites have. I want to clearly see what the thing looks looks like before I buy it.

Thanks again,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs

Scott Vystrcil January 2nd, 2007 02:15 PM

Any update on this Matt?

Any update on the fix for m2t files and Canopus? I have a unit gathering a lot of dust.

Tony Perkins January 18th, 2007 11:52 AM

Firestore HDV m2t files on Edius 4

I saw this thread and hoped that someone could help me out - but . . . . looks like we are all still waiting for answers.

Just bought a Firestore fs-4 HDPro 100 because it does Direct to Edit HD recording with Canopus editing hardware. NO IT DOESN'T!

Canopus UK have tested the resultant Firestore HDV m2t files with Edius - they just do not work (well they do until the buffer runs down after only a few seconds). They have now been sent files to Japan for testing . . we await the results.

The chief UK distributor of Focus products copied Matt in on this problem and we all still await an answer from him?

Please someone tell me that that this unit will work for me soon . . . my Firestore is a very expensive mistake right now.

Here's hoping
Tony

Matt McEwen January 24th, 2007 01:46 PM

Hi Tony,

We are working with Canopus to resolve your issue. The strange thing is that we do have people using FS with Canopus, so we need to get to the bottom of why this is happening in your situation. Hopefully, Canopus will be able to assist us.

Thanks,

Matt

Tony Perkins January 24th, 2007 01:55 PM

Thanks Matt

Just so you know - it's only HDV m2t files that won't run - at this moment we're just completing an SD video of a two day show backstage having recorded the entire event in DV. The FS & Canopus have performed admirably together.

Definitely the way forward for us - we just need to crack that HDV problem and there will be many relieved FS owners.

Cheers
Tony

Shawn Alyasiri January 24th, 2007 03:20 PM

Agreed...

FS4's running DV have been a trusted resource for me. The .m2t's lock-up. Been trying since late '05.

The FS100 has been very good too.

Only problem I have seen is with the .m2t's - and I've tried the Sony Z1, Canon H1 (with firmware upgrade) and the HD100 (with firmware upgrade).

Looking forward to good news, so I can slap the FS4's on the back of some of these cams again.

Thanks.

Tony Perkins February 10th, 2007 06:51 AM

Hi

For those of you following this thread I have this news from Canopus UK received 6th Feb 2007:

"The FS HD clip issue will be fixed in the next Edius version update - not v4.13 but the next... FS will be making some adjustments too."

This was as a result of Canopus & Focus talking to each other about some FS-4 originated m2t examples of footage that did not work on Edius systems.

Fingers crossed everyone . . . . . not a subject for this thread, but Canopus certainly have an awful lot of things to fix in their next version of Edius.

Tony

Scott Vystrcil March 5th, 2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Perkins (Post 622462)
"The FS HD clip issue will be fixed in the next Edius version update - not v4.13 but the next... FS will be making some adjustments too."

This was as a result of Canopus & Focus talking to each other about some FS-4 originated m2t examples of footage that did not work on Edius systems.

Fingers crossed everyone . . . . . not a subject for this thread, but Canopus certainly have an awful lot of things to fix in their next version of Edius.

Tony

Tony...any word on when this update might be out...my unit is getting buried in dust. :)

Tony Perkins March 5th, 2007 03:47 PM

Hi Scott - I wish! - the UK is pretty much as far away from Japan as possible so we can only wait and see how quickly a new version trickles through . . . I am just a frustrated user and like you I await news from Grass Valley/Thomson - anyone out there know anything about this we would all love to hear . . . . ?

John Richard March 7th, 2007 11:50 AM

Maybe calling the Canopus/GV office in San Jose, CA would find an answer?

They confirmed on their official forum that the issue was being worked on.

Scott Vystrcil April 10th, 2007 08:28 AM

Any News Matt?

Hey Matt...Any update on a possible fix for this issue?

Shawn Alyasiri April 12th, 2007 08:50 AM

Canopus just announced a 4.24 update - but I didn't see anything specifically mentioned about the relationship with the Focus HDV files. I'm guessing there's still an issue.

I'd definitely like to know any status as well - and have it on my list to ask at NAB.

Tony Perkins April 12th, 2007 08:56 AM

I also just heard today from Canopus UK that there will be an Edius download available from the web site in about two weeks - again - nobody is sure whether this will sort out the Firestore problem. They also mentioned that there is a second update in the pipeline, being tested and due for release fairly soon . . . fingers crossed. Definitely hassle them at NAB on our behalf - let us know :)

Scott Vystrcil April 13th, 2007 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri (Post 658865)
I'd definitely like to know any status as well - and have it on my list to ask at NAB.

Thanks Shawn. Hit em' hard :)

John Richard April 20th, 2007 08:59 AM

It was reported that this issue has been fixed in the latest Edius patch 4.24 released last Thursday.

Scott Vystrcil April 20th, 2007 09:13 AM

Woo-hoo

Thanks for the update John. I will give it a shoot.

Shawn Alyasiri April 21st, 2007 02:58 PM

I heard the same thing at NAB... I was excited to get home, apply the 4.24 patch and try out some footage shot last week on (2) Focus FS4's with HDV upgrade (both version 1.1.0.04092006) using Sony Z1 & Canon H1 cameras - one FS4 on each camera.

It's still not working - almost seems worse. LOTS of clips that register as over 2 hours, can barely get them to play back, lock-ups when trying to play/save, etc.

I can get some of them to play fine in PPro 2, but some files import as 'damaged', and the majority sit on the timeline with the play window reported 'unsupported'. Vegas 7 reports a couple of damaged clips, and plays most of them well - and then also locks up. I think this is a Focus Enhancements issue. I've been patient since Sept. 2005.

Sigh...

John Richard April 22nd, 2007 08:24 AM

Shawn - that is extremely disappointing indeed. I haven't been able to test it out myself yet.

But the fact that the firestore HDV files are funky on 3 different NLE's make it appear to be a Firestore problem.

DV files work just fine... long GOP HDV files are still the issue.
I wonder if it's this is just an FS4-ProHD problem or are people having the same issues with the FSC model?

Scott Vystrcil April 22nd, 2007 03:22 PM

No dice...

I am seeing the same thing Shawn is. I had a 3 sec clip work, but the first time I try to play anything over 10 mins...lock-up city. I was getting excited there for a minute.

Tony Perkins April 25th, 2007 02:05 AM

So Matt - are you still listening?

Very very disappointing.

I am told by the UK there is another Edius update under "test" and due for release - I just wish someone would tell us the truth about the issue!

Tony

Colin McFadden April 25th, 2007 11:10 PM

Matt hasn't posted here since the end of January, so I'm starting to think he's not around anymore ...?

Daniel Weber May 1st, 2007 08:49 PM

He was at NAB.

Dan Weber

John Richard May 2nd, 2007 09:28 AM

Matt is very much around - he has been working directly with people at Grass Valley on this issue.

One thing to keep in mind is NAB is a monster of a show and usurps a tremendous amount of time for months as it's a huge investment for exhibitors. So maybe a little slack for Matt - he has been our one good link to info from this company.

Tony Perkins May 2nd, 2007 10:01 AM

NAB vs repeat business

Understood John, but March 2006 > May 2007 - over a year of info without a real result for anyone. Not particularly fulfilling support, even giving Focus a little slack for time spent at NAB.

Not meaning to offend anyone at all, but rather than spending time and money selling to new customers, how about manufacturers spending some time helping the loyal customers who are simply waiting for two expensive bits of broadcast kit to work with each other as advertised?

I would certainly buy more HD Firestores for our company if they worked with Edius . . . . customer satisfaction = repeat business, the cheapest investment any company can make!

Scott Vystrcil May 28th, 2007 08:55 AM

Any news on this issue Matt?

Hey Matt...I know things have been crazy, but do you have any updates on this issue?

John Richard June 25th, 2007 03:49 PM

Well I guess at this late date in time, it doesn't look like things are changing. We have pretty much laid the Firestore aside - just too many issues and unreliability to take chances with and lose time on.

I wished Matt would at least come back onto this forum - he was a good source that appears to have gone missing.

Tony Perkins June 26th, 2007 01:17 AM

Before purchasing a Focus Enhancements FS-4 Pro HD read this thread.

Agreed John

I haven't bothered charging our Firestores for months - it's just too much hassle!

We are looking for other products that will do the job as advertised and have a decent customer support in-place.

As he continues to ignore us I am very happy to let everyone know that Matt's direct e-mail address is mmcewen@focusinfo.com.

Good luck all - see you on another Forum when we have all moved to a decent product.

Tony

Scott Vystrcil July 12th, 2007 01:02 PM

Ohhh Matt????

Hey Matt,

Any news for all of us waiting to use our drives with Edius?

Scott Vystrcil August 16th, 2007 09:02 AM

Updates?

Any new updates to when we might see a resolution to this?

Mark Twittey August 18th, 2007 12:18 PM

Can you record HDV transfer DV

G'day Guys,
Could I record on to a FS-4 Pro HD in HDV, then transfer directly off the the unit to a Avid Liquid system in DV avi?
I like to shoot in HDV on a Z1, but edit in a DV timeline.
Thanks

Tony Perkins May 7th, 2008 02:09 AM

Firestore M2T files work!

Edius 4.6
Import the M2T footage files with PTS ticked (off) in Edius (Edius Plug-in Settings>MPEG).

Don't just tick the PTS box and test any existing M2T imported footage from previous attempts. You need to re-import any MPEG files you already have in the system direct from the Firestore M2T HDV files through the Edius plug-in with the PTS off.

Phew - at last - well done Grass Valley

Tony

Eugene Presley May 19th, 2008 10:51 AM

I have a complete Firestore FS-4 HD PRO for sale. >Check the private classifieds if interested. Look under Canon XH A1 accessories, bargain prices.