DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   SD to HDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/100351-sd-hdv.html)

Fred Helm August 2nd, 2007 03:18 PM

SD to HDV?

I shot a 6 episode tv series on Sony HDV cams. The shows were edited in Vegas 7 (SD) and went to Beta Sp as SD. Now a studio is asking for the series in 1080. Whats the best way to accomplish this? Furthermore, season two needs to be in 1080 as well, but all the footage so far has been dumped SD. Oddly enough, we have never fooled with HDV final cuts. Is getting to 1080 masters a pipe dream on NLE's...?

Thanks

Steven Gotz August 2nd, 2007 03:45 PM

Not at all. I edit HDV all the time. And I know Vegas and FCP users do too.

The real issue is, how do they want the media presented to them? You might need SDI outputs to get them what they want. Solve the delivery issue and editing HDV is a snap. You may need a faster PC or a special card and a special deck. But all in all it is just a matter of having the right equipment to deliver the material. Capturing and editing is a breeze.

Fred Helm August 2nd, 2007 05:53 PM

The network will take a 1394 HD or even a mini dv from an FX1 or FX7. My lack of understanding lies with how I get my 22 min timeline currently sitting in SD to record back to tape in 1080i....? or render to new track in 1080i?

Steven Gotz August 2nd, 2007 06:51 PM

Oh. You need to capture the HDV and replace all of the SD clips with HDV clips. It is a LOT of work.

It is too late now, but the "right" way to do this is to edit in HDV and export to SD. Then you have the HDV when you are ready to do so.

You could use software to scale up the SD into HDV, but chances are you didn't use widescreen.

Fred Helm August 3rd, 2007 09:08 AM

16/9 from camera or in time line? All clips are 16/9.... While I have you... my problem with HDV clips have always been related to using the .m2t files. Its impossible! Can you explain process of getting HDV files from camera into editor in a form that is useable. Computer is 2.4ghz- 2g ram- 7200rpm drives, etc...

Steven Gotz August 3rd, 2007 09:18 AM

In timeline. If you used 16:9 throughout, then you might be OK using InstantHD or ReSizer to jump from SD to HD. It would not be as good as if you used the HDV though.

I use Cineform Aspect HD. That takes the M2T files and creates a special AVI that makes it possible for a PC like yours to edit a LOT easier. Cineform Aspect HD provides acceleration so that many effects are realtime, no rendering required. If you use Premiere Pro, you can use Aspect HD.

If you use Vegas, you can get NEO which provides a great codec but no acceleration.

http://cineform.com/products/default.htm

Fred Helm August 3rd, 2007 09:34 AM

thanks man! Last question...( i think ) Already have cineform HD... What are the steps.... so I return from shoot with 10 minidv's from FX1 and FX7 cams....plug cams into editor and choose HDV for dump.......then what? Our production company shoots off-road based imagery that uses in car cameras recording onto Sd decks. How should we upconvert the incar footage? Also we still use an old PD150...how do I secure the 1080i clips from those tapes?

Justin Deming August 3rd, 2007 10:52 AM

FYI, I use Cineform with Vegas, the product is called Connect HD. It does the same for Vegas as Aspect HD does for Premire Pro. And it works great, no more annoyingly slow m2t files!

Steven Gotz August 3rd, 2007 11:12 AM

Actually, Connect HD does some of the same things, but Aspect HD in Premiere Pro actually has realtime effects and some acceleration that is pretty handy. But basically, you are correct. And of course, Aspect HD is more expensive due to these features.

I capture via the HDLink utility that comes with Cineform. That allows me to scene detect and therefore throw out anything I will not be using.

As for upscaling SD to HD, there are two well known applications that work. ReSizer and InstantHD.

John Bosco Jr. August 5th, 2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Gotz (Post 722849)
In timeline. If you used 16:9 throughout, then you might be OK using InstantHD or ReSizer to jump from SD to HD. It would not be as good as if you used the HDV though.

I use Cineform Aspect HD. That takes the M2T files and creates a special AVI that makes it possible for a PC like yours to edit a LOT easier. Cineform Aspect HD provides acceleration so that many effects are realtime, no rendering required. If you use Premiere Pro, you can use Aspect HD.

If you use Vegas, you can get NEO which provides a great codec but no acceleration.

http://cineform.com/products/default.htm

Using Avid Liquid 7, I never had to worry about getting those third party cards as the NLE handles HDV natively. It works great.

Steven Gotz August 5th, 2007 10:28 AM

John,

Nobody said anything about third party cards. We are discussing 3rd party codecs, yes. And I have seen Avid Express footage exported to After Effects and then back and the quality loss to After Effects can be significant. It depends on the footage.

If you are just using one or two streams of HDV and not color correcting, and not exorting to a HD file and using that in other programs, then editing native HDV is fine.