DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Have Specs need direction for HD changeup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/136626-have-specs-need-direction-hd-changeup.html)

Marty Welk October 25th, 2008 07:27 PM

Have Specs need direction for HD changeup

Hi , i am a Pro (meaning do it for a job) video production geek, that has seen 2 million dollers of equiptment become OBSOLETE :-( , and i am now tossing it all out again, and going with HD :-). lets do that again huh.

I have Very specific style and type , and i think most of you here could follow this.

I do "Live Switching" now with a Sony Pd-250 and a Sony Vx2100, and a videonics thang, the switching is ONLY ever nice smooth dissolves (never cheezy effects junk).

the "Events" which can be anything from stage shows to funerals , are usually over an hour in length, many 1.5hours between any form of break even. (dang leetel tapes). but when live switching it is possible to switch backups then switch the main after they are running.

I want to replace the 2 cams, one Shoulder beast with XLR, and One handy puppy with consumer conncections, with similar "HD" sort of pro-sumer cameras, AND then eventually add in live switching of them , after I suffer through computer editing till i aquire more funds. (how are you going to pay for it)

SoOO:
the cams need to be perfect VIDEO matches in the collection type, light f-stop, color, lens length and all that other good stuff, even though they can have different AUDIO connections, and one could be a cheep thing. Just like the PD250 and VX2000 already did, same Video collection guts, different audio and controls and all.

The price point, if i sell my car, and mortage off the house and all :-) hey i am dedicated, would be from 2000-4000 for the small cam, and 4000-6000 for the big cam, although cheaper is always better.

The cams sort of need to be sony, as they have rotten horrible high priced service, BUT , i never need any service. so i would rather have feild relibility beings i can't afford a backup.

1) Low-Light : they must work in very low Light, even if i am not always IN low light , i am not doing film, i dont need to be out of focus for any reason. and many situations there is no control of the light, they dont make cams for Suckey light :-) so being low light capable is a start.

2) Lensing : they only need a 12-1 lens OR only need to get as close as the other ones did, if it was a 20-1 i would want more WIDE, i dont need to video someones nose hairs :-) specially not in 1080.

3) Lens: they do not Need to have removable lenses, there is rarely any TIME to change one the way i video anyways, so one good one will do the job.

4) Output to switcher: a big one, is this SDI ?? output, they NEED to be able to be feed into a CHEAP switcher eventually, so i can get back into live switching. the switchers seem to want some sort of SDI output?

5) Not for FILM: I NEVER will make a film, or need to do film like things, the video Must have a 60Feilds per second type of high motion recording. i dont need noise, i dont need effects, i dont need title, i dont need rack focusing, although a smooth slow zoom is usefull.

6) Auto Iris Control: it Must have simple control of the AUTO iris, i need the cam to do most of the work, but it always needs to be adjusted from what they think looks good. EX the vx2000 you had to go into the CP menu to adjust that , not fun but it worked.

7) audio is collected at the cam, but when live switched the audio is controlled seperate.

I need to know what to do to convert to this HD stuff $$$, there is so many cute names and specs, but they are MEANINGLESS junk specs, when its how the cam is able to be OPERATED that is the most important.
I cant afford a great $28,000 cam EVER, and beings it will be obsolete in 5 years, i am not doing that again :-)
so i need a couple of perfectally MATCHED teammates that will do a fair "Pro" like but not broadcast type job, that wont break the bank or have Surprises.