DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Recording Google |Earth Screen as a video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/189194-recording-google-earth-screen-video.html)

Francois Dormoy April 12th, 2009 10:26 AM

Recording Google |Earth Screen as a video

I would like to capture in a video file the screen of my PC showing Google Earth movving from one region to another and put it in a video montage of my vacation trip. Unfortumately my new camera (the Sony PMW-EX1) does not allow to record from a PC using the PC video OUT connection, like it was the case with the Sony VX-2000 camera.
There must be a wide range of software or shareware which can capture PC screens in a video, but I am not sure which one is the best. Can someone advise?

Paul Mailath April 12th, 2009 03:15 PM

Google has the software - and it costs!

your other alternative is to do frame grabs of the image and put it together yourself - time intensive

There may be a 3rd party utility that does screen capture - you'd have to search

Ian G. Thompson April 12th, 2009 03:31 PM

There is a third party software called FRAPS that you can use to capture anything that is on your screen. It can record picture, videos etc. The videos are saved in some sort of wavelet codec. The results (as I remember them) are pretty good. The software's main purpose I believe is for gaming...saving videos from your games.

Bradley Ouellette April 12th, 2009 04:48 PM

There are many many screen capture programs out there.

I did a quick google for one, came up with Jing | Add visuals to your online conversations
It is free for both mac and pc. I just tested it out. Record .swf files. Can easily be converted to .mp4 or what not.

Michael Ojjeh April 12th, 2009 05:57 PM

I am working on a Documentary and would like to use Google Earth, I can just capture it from my camera, but how can I use it legally from Google ?
Has anyone done this before ? I see it on the news all the time with the Google Earth logo on the side.

Francois Dormoy April 12th, 2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradley Ouellette (Post 1084870)
There are many many screen capture programs out there.

Yes I know, and I cant test them all. I ma sure there many craps and low quality softwares
This is why I am asking for advice from people.

Luke Tingle April 12th, 2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1085093)
I am working on a Documentary and would like to use Google Earth, I can just capture it from my camera, but how can I use it legally from Google ?
Has anyone done this before ? I see it on the news all the time with the Google Earth logo on the side.

I use Google Earth Pro, $400 for 1 year. To use Google Earth footage legally, you will have to purchase GE Pro, make a demo of its intended use and submit it to Google (don't have link, you'll have to search), then wait forever (2 months for me), then once/if you're approved you can use the footage you record with GE Pro.

Any copyright information must stay visible in the final production.
One more thing, the movie recording feature of GE Pro is extremely flaky, it's possible to create some really nice aerials in HD though.

Bit of a PITA, but they don't really have any competition so they can get away with it.

You can see samples of GE Pro in action at the website in my signature.

Michael Ojjeh April 13th, 2009 07:14 PM

Luke, The google earth looks good in your video, I noticed a little jerkiness when zooming in or out on GE.
So you get the GE Pro (good for one year) and you get all of your footage you want and submitting them to Google (not my final edit just the GE footage) for approval and wait !
What did you use to capture the video file ?

Luke Tingle April 14th, 2009 01:32 AM

The jerkiness is the web compression, I have to troubleshoot that, my masters are completely smooth.

Google Earth Pro has a movie recording feature built in. You can record in virtually whatever codec you want (HD uncompressed, Pro Rez HQ, DVCPro HD etc.). For best results I record a jpeg image sequence and then compress that into a Pro Rez quicktime for Final Cut.

The submission process is just a one-time deal. They just send you an email stating it's ok to use GE Pro footage for your project, at least that's my experience.

Once again, the program is expensive,very flaky and very frustrating to get what you want, but it's still pretty cool.