DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   What the Big Boys shoot with (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/237520-what-big-boys-shoot.html)

Garrett Low June 17th, 2009 01:31 PM

What the Big Boys shoot with

I don't even know if this belongs here but it's a pretty cool video.

Don't know if it's been posted before but this guy has a great job.

Fenway HD Camera - Sony HDC-910 - Canon 75x on Vimeo

Garrett

Adam Gold June 17th, 2009 01:37 PM

Yeah, I bookmarked a while ago.. it's really neat stuff.

Just for fun, I priced out some of this gear... it can be yours for a cool couple hundred grand or so...

What was surprising to me is that the cam head sensor was still only 2/3". I guess I had assumed, for no real reason, that it would be bigger.

Rick L. Allen June 17th, 2009 04:02 PM

Tom (in the video) is running what's called a "hard" or studio camera. It's owned by the company that provided the production truck for the broadcast. He's making day rate to work the game (probably $400-500 - still a fun job though and it requires skill). And yes it's a 2/3 in chip camera since there aren't chips made any larger than that and 2/3 inch chips have been industry standard for many years.

Liam Hall June 18th, 2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 1159865)
And yes it's a 2/3 in chip camera since there aren't chips made any larger than that and 2/3 inch chips have been industry standard for many years.

So, I guess you haven't heard of RED, Sony F35 or Arri D20 or Panavision Genesis...

Robert M Wright June 19th, 2009 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1160401)
So, I guess you haven't heard of RED, Sony F35 or Arri D20 or Panavision Genesis...

Those aren't standard cameras in the broadcast industry.

Andy Shipsides June 19th, 2009 07:16 AM

It shouldn't be surprising that it's 2/3". If it had a 35mm frame size then not only would his lens need to be twice the size, he would also have such a narrow depth of field on the long end that he could never pull focus.

Dom Stevenson June 19th, 2009 09:28 AM

Wow! that's what i call a zoom!

Philip Williams June 24th, 2009 01:25 PM

Sony HDC-910 Camera: $94,000
Canon 75x HD lens: $90,000
Cardboard and Tape Sunshade: Priceless

Chris Hurd June 24th, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1160401)

Those are Digital Cinema camera systems. Not what we're talking about here.

Jack Zhang June 24th, 2009 03:46 PM

You see these everywhere nowadays. SNL, The Tonight Show, Sporting events, and maybe the Olympics.

They're much more scarce in Canada compared to the US. And some even skip Sony and go for Ikegami.

Sander Vreuls June 24th, 2009 04:49 PM

Around here (The Netherlands) Thomson Grass Valley camera's for use in multicam situations are quite popular as well, both SD and HD.

Very nice camera, and good explanation.

Garry Moore June 28th, 2009 06:20 PM

F35

I know I seen some Sony F35's at the China Olympics, but probably not for television broadcast.

Charles Papert June 28th, 2009 10:23 PM

hmm, seeing this makes me think it would be fun to do a similar "expose" of my shooting setup on a feature or TV show...

Chris Soucy June 29th, 2009 05:15 AM

Interesting.............

The one thing he raved about is the one thing not mentioned by anyone........

The Vinten head!

Not the camera, nor the lens, spectacular tho' they are, but the head.

The other "did I miss that bit" - the OIS "on tripod" system.

The "Way to Go" if only one of the manufacturers can get their heads (er, yeah) 'round it.

Vinten are working on it, but currently only for this sort of high end end system, this their latest piece of genius:

Vinten | Vector 950 Active Pan and Tilt Head | www.vinten.com

No mistake, the first manufacturer to figure out how to connect this sort of system to any other manufacturers cameras/ lenses, at the consumer level, is going to clean up big time!

Back to the video - sounds like the job from hell to me, quite frankly.

Hate sport, hate humping big gear up stairs and hate being out in the elements - guess I'd be a shoe in then!

Interesting video nontheless, just goes to show what you can do with not a lot of time or resources.

CS

Shaun Roemich June 29th, 2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1164655)
hmm, seeing this makes me think it would be fun to do a similar "expose" of my shooting setup on a feature or TV show...

I'd pay my monthly internet bill to see that.