DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Flip Ultra HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/238542-flip-ultra-hd.html)

Steve Ellington February 21st, 2009 09:38 AM

The Ultimate Flip MinoHD Review

I wrote a little review of the Flip MinoHD. Enjoy!

The Ultimate Flip Mino HD Review

Cheers

Tomaso Perrone June 4th, 2009 11:25 AM

Got a Flip UltraHD - Looking for UW Housing

Hi guys,
This is as good a place as any to ask...
Anyone know of an Underwater housing that will fit the new Flip UltraHD?
I need to film some "on the water" action shots. (will be cut in with some 5D2 & HV20 footage)
I've found the housing for the original model - but not the new one

Thanks in Advance

Tom
EDIT: I would prefer a hard housing as opposed the be "baggy" types

Ong Jun Jie June 25th, 2009 11:35 PM

You can make a pretty simple DIY one if you don't intend to engage any controls, its not as if the Flip has much controls to start with.

Just use clear 5" PVC pipe fittings (a threaded cap), some acrylic / clear PVC sheet, and glue them together. That pipes and stuff is designed to withstand pretty high pressures (150 psi if primed = about 40m) so the weak link is only where you glue the sheet to the cap. I don't live in the US, but apparently HomeDepot, McMasters & Lowes are almost everywhere, and should be able to quote your costs.

To eliminate that weakness, just buy an endcap with a flat end, some clear PVC pipe, and a thread cap fitting. The glue takes a few days to dry, depending on the temperatures you have.

To use, just blue tack your Flip to the cap, start filming and close it properly. But be warned that thing is very buoyant if you have no weights attached.

I have used done this before but only at a max depth of 2m, the thing held fine even when I left it there for the night. The camera ran out of battery though. If you need pictures PM me.

Mark Slocombe July 6th, 2009 05:28 PM

Flip Ultra HD

As an EX user I'm looking for a new easy lightweight HD camera for family use that my 4 yr old daughter can use as well as wife and I; have any EX shooters used the Flip Ultra HD or seen its output? Picture quality any good? Audio?

John Hedgecoe July 6th, 2009 08:38 PM

I use the Sanyo HD2000 as my go everywhere combocam.

It shoots all the way up to 1080P60, and does 8MP stills. I have even made a 20x24 inch print from one of the stills.

Not a perfect camera, by a long shot, but great when you don't want to lug the EX1 around.

Keith Moreau July 6th, 2009 10:01 PM

I've used the Flip. It's very easy to use and image is ok. It's not an EX1, not even close, it's note even an HV30. For it's price it's a nice point an shoot. I've heard good things about the Sanyo John mentions.

Also nowadays there are quite a few still digicams that shoot pretty good HD Video, Lumix, Sony, to name a few. Then there are the AVCHD camcorders, such as the Panasonics and the Canons, both will blow the Flip and their ilk away. You may still be able to get a Panasonic SD100 for around $500, ultra portable and very good image quality. The Canon HFS100, at around $1000, image quality rivals the EX1, in my opinion, and it's one of the few less expensive camcorders out there that shoots at 1080 24P and 30P, (all the rest are interlaced).

It depends on your price range and what you plan to deliver with this "B" camera. For a B camcorder for my EX1 I got a JVC HM100, which is the near-ideal 'mini' EX1. However it's not cheap --$3,500.00.

Good luck!

Mark Slocombe July 7th, 2009 04:56 AM

Cheers - our B-cam JVC arrived today, think I'll look at the Canon and stills cams as well as the Flip for my Family-Cam