DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   HDTV and fire wire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/33622-hdtv-fire-wire.html)

Steve Hagan October 18th, 2004 12:03 PM

HDTV and fire wire

This may or not be the right place to ask this question. But is there a HDTV that can be connected from a fire wire directly to your DV camera?
Thanks

Rob Lohman October 20th, 2004 02:52 AM

To the best of my knowledge there isn't any other standard than
HDV over firewire yet and I haven't heard of a tv to support HDV.
However, with the new Sony HD camera coming out Sony did
picture it with a (new?) Sony TV and a firewire cable inbetween...

So there might be Sony tv's coming out that will support HDV.

Troy Lamont October 20th, 2004 11:57 AM

Actually there are several sets that play both DV and MPEG2-TS (HDV) natively.

Most of them are Sony sets that have the integrated ATSC HDTV tuners built in. They have LCD, Plasma & rear projection sets with firewire (i.link) inputs.

I've played my HD1 on several with firewire and they work like a charm. I posted about this some time ago in the JVC forums.

Also RCA Selenium sets, just about all Mitsubishi's sets have firewire that allow you to play MPEG2-TS (HDV), I'm not 100% sue on DV via firewire. For the older Mits sets, they offer an upgrade called the 'Promise Module' that also has firewire that allows the same thing.

There are a few more sets by Panasonic, Pioneer & I believe Samsung that offer this option as well.

While connected via firewire to these sets, you can use their respective remote controls to also control the camcorder.

For what it's worth, HDVs output format is MPEG2-TS.

Troy

Rob Lohman October 20th, 2004 12:17 PM

MPEG2-TS inside a DV stream to be exact. So I would suspect
those programs also to support DV playback. Are you sure those
sets play the native HD-HDV signal and not some downconverted
SD signal? Very interesting if they did play the full signal!

Greg Boston October 20th, 2004 12:18 PM

That's very true Troy about the Mitsubishi set. I have one and it has a 4 pin firewire but it will not recognize DV, only MPEG2 as you said. It will also output MPEG2 to a device such as DVHS to record HD broadcasts. My set is just over 2 yrs old.

=gb=

Troy Lamont October 20th, 2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

Are you sure those sets play the native HD-HDV signal and not some downconverted SD signal? Very interesting if they did play the full signal!
100% sure it was full HD. I set the HD1 to 720p native out. The TV will upconvert it to 1080i (unless it's a 720p LCD/Plasma set). Looks absolutely beautiful! I check the display messaging on the TV and it shows HD 1080i as the input signal.

My little gift to the world is to go to our local electronics retailers about once a quarter and hook my HD1 up to an HD set (preferably by firewire) and show of it's capabilities! :)

I always get a nice little crowd of employees and customers ohhing and ahhing.

Troy