DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   HD frame grabs and video questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/34104-hd-frame-grabs-video-questions.html)

Alan Christensen October 27th, 2004 09:57 PM

HD frame grabs and video questions

I'm new to the HD stuff so my questions may seem simple minded to many of you out there. I have a number of questions both with regard to video captured in DV format but also with regard to how still pictures can be captured with the new HD cameras. I do a lot of video but I also do a lot of photo montages or combinations of the two. The photo montages typically use pictures that are taken with a digital still camera, but I use frame grabs as well. The frame grabs are nice because you can get the exact expression or moment that you want because you have so many frames to choose from.

Still Picture Questions:
1. What is the native resolution that you obtain when you shoot in HD?

2. Is the resolution dependent upon whether you are using the Sony or the JVC camera?

3. What is the aspect ratio of the picture (4:3 or 16:9 or selectible)?

4. Are non-square pixels used? How is this related to question 3?

5. Are there interlacing issues that would force me to de-interlace the pictures (assuming the subject was moving)? Does this depend upon which filming mode I use?

6. If I shot in the highest HD resolution, took frame grabs, converted to 720x480 and placed them in a standard NTSC photo montage, would the resulting pictures be crisper than if I started with frame grabs from my VX-2100?

Video Questions:
1. I currently have two VX series camcorders that I use to shoot events (weddings, school productions, ...). If I had one of the new HD camcorders, would it do me any good to shoot in HD with the new camcorder if I needed multiple camera angles to achieve the total shoot? Would the new HD mode only be useful to me where the entire project could be done with the one HD camera?

2. When shooting in DV mode, is the DV video produced by the new cameras any better than the DV video produced by the VX-2000?

Thanks for taking the time to educate a newbie.

Graham Hickling October 27th, 2004 10:37 PM

I'll reply for the JVC cameras, when used in HD mode (they also have DV and SD modes):

1. What is their native resolution in HD? 1280 x 720, 30fps progressive

2. Is the resolution dependent upon whether you are using the Sony or the JVC camera? Yes

3. What is the aspect ratio of the picture: 16:9

4. Are non-square pixels used? The pixels are square

5. Are there interlacing issues: No for HD and SD; yes for DV

6. Would the JVC pictures be crisper?: Yes provided the light is OK. The VX-2100 has much better low-light sensitivity.

Video Questions:
1. Would the new HD mode only be useful to me where the entire project could be done with the one HD camera? If you have the software and a decent computer, it is easy enough to down-rez to match SD footage - although it will be 30p, not 60i like DV.

2. Is the DV video produced by the new cameras any better than the DV video produced by the VX-2000? No (the JVC is single-chip whereas the VX-2000 is 3-chip)

Just my $0.02.....