DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Camera's for current affairs show airing on cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/469139-cameras-current-affairs-show-airing-cable.html)

Geoff Jak December 8th, 2009 02:26 PM

Camera's for current affairs show airing on cable

My production company has been invited to put together a package to produce a current affairs show. One of the considerations is of course the camera package. The station will broadcast in HD so I am considering the following camera's
Sony PMW - EX3
HVR - Z7
HVR - Z5
JVC - GY-HD251
And considering attaching a nanoFlash to bump up the image quality out the end.

Editing would be on a Sony Vegas 9 system, unless you've got a better idea.

We would try to have the stories syndicated so having internationally acceptable HD output specs is important to the mix as well.
What are your thoughts - I'd appreciate feedback.
Thx

Geoff Jak December 8th, 2009 02:30 PM

Ooops!
I meant the JVC - GY-HD201 for field aquasition.

The JVC-GY-HD251 might be the go for the studio based interviews.

Brian Drysdale December 8th, 2009 02:35 PM

HD broadcasters tend to be a bit wary of sensors less than 1/2", so it would make sense to go for that. Although, news tends to be a bit more relaxed, current affairs might be a bit more demanding. I know of one HD production using Nanoflash on a EX3 for a major HD channel, so that could be a cost effective method. The EX3 is also more sensitive than the 1/3" cameras.

Geoff Jak December 8th, 2009 04:02 PM

Thx for the info Brian. Yes the better sensitivity is an issue but I wonder how much that becomes an issue when you have to shoot on the run in a news/ run and gun scenario. The JVC's have the edge in terms of erganomics - shoulder mounted, controls where you need them when in a hurry. I'd love to know the difference between the EX3 and JVC 201 in a real world situation between - overcast sky, high contrast, mixed light etc - things you have little control over sometimes.

For the studio based scenes, how would the EX3 compare with the JVC GY HD251? The 251 is designed as a studio rig so maybe that would make it easier on operators. The big deal is image quality though so I suppose the EX3 is always going to win out on that score.

Robert M Wright December 12th, 2009 02:42 AM

Which HD format are they broadcasting?

Geoff Jak December 12th, 2009 03:15 AM

Hi Robert

All I know at this stage is that it's in PAL land. We have ambitions to syndicate as well given what we believe will be worthwhile content so that could be other PAL and NTSC nations.

Robert M Wright December 12th, 2009 01:08 PM

I'd focus on the format that the station you have a solid commitment from broadcasts, and cross the PAL/NTSC bridge IF and when you get there. Don't get all worked up about future possibilities. Before seriously considering cameras any further, I suggest you make a call and find out if they broadcast 1080i50 or 720p50.

Geoff Jak December 13th, 2009 05:42 PM

Yes, agreed...I am in fact waiting on that answer now- the format they need.
More soon
Thx

G. Lee Gordon December 24th, 2009 01:54 PM

Curious to know the outcome. Which camera did you decide to go with and why?

Geoff Jak December 25th, 2009 07:18 AM

The HD option has been delayed so standard def it is. I am talking to a studio which has standard def camera's.
For another project I am aiming at the EX3. More later.