DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Sony HD/XDCam to support 1080i and 720p?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/47041-sony-hd-xdcam-support-1080i-720p.html)

Ozzy Alvarez June 30th, 2005 06:47 PM

Sony HD/XDCam to support 1080i and 720p??

I don't know if this is old news for everyone around here but I got this e-news in my email and thought I share it with everyone here.

SONY UNVEILS HD TECHNOLOGY FOR XDCAM PROFESSIONAL DISC SYSTEM WITH DEMONSTRATION AT NAB

LAS VEGAS (NAB Booth SU6406) - At the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention, Sony Electronics will present technology demonstrations of a high-definition version of its XDCAM™ Professional Disc™ system. The company will use these demonstrations as an opportunity to gather industry input before finalizing product plans, continuing its efforts to deliver HD solutions that best meet the needs of video professionals for an array of production applications.

The demonstrations, which will be conducted continually throughout NAB in Sony's booth, will focus on recording high-definition content to Sony's Professional Disc media in the MXF file format, using a newly developed HD MPEG-2 Long GOP codec.

An HD version of the XDCAM system, of which Sony has already delivered more than 6,000 units worldwide, will allow professionals to combine HD resolution with the same IT-based workflow enhancements available in the current XDCAM system, and maintain compatibility with the current PFD-23 Professional Disc media. Using the HD version of XDCAM, users can record up to 2 hours of content on the media.

"With every new technology introduction, we place a priority on `getting it right,' which to us means listening to customers and trying to deliver what they want and need in terms of features and performance," said Hugo Gaggioni, chief technology officer for Sony Electronics' Broadcast and Production Systems Division. "Not only will the HD version of the XDCAM system maintain its unique features such as high-speed transfer of proxy A/V and high resolution data via MXF file transfer protocol, but the plan for the new technology is to also support both 720P and 1080i production, resulting in a truly multi-format video solution."

Sony is also working to maintain interoperability of the HD version of the XDCAM system with an array of third-party non-linear editing solutions.

"System interoperability with leading technology providers is a key to success, enabling current SD XDCAM customers to migrate seamlessly to an HD optical infrastructure," said Alec Shapiro, senior vice president for Sony Electronics' Broadcast and Production Systems Division. "The continued support and input of NLE manufacturers is invaluable to our product development plans."

Ozzy

Radek Svoboda July 1st, 2005 12:54 AM

6000 XDCAMs in one year. If they make 15,000 USD profit on each, it's 90 milion USD. I don't think they rushing deliver the HD version. This way they'll sell XDCAM 2x. It certainly seems they'll support 1080i, 720p. It be nice if would offer 1080p too. Maybe that will be 3rd XDCAM wave. What interesting is they'll use long GOP MPEG2 in HD XDCAM. XDCAM is using short GOP.

In Czech Republic digital TV production is mainly Digital Beta, new cameras bought by networks are XDCAM. 2 state networks still mainly 35 mm and 16 mm film, one private network is using HDCAM but broadcasts 625i, like rest.

There are two versions XDCAM, 50/25 Mbps and 25 Mbps, as far I remember. My opinion is low end version HDXDCAM will be similar to HDV, high end will be 50/25 Mbps, switchable. 50 Mbps version will, IMHO, offer 1080p. Sony blu laser system records 36 or 72 Mbps, I think extra bandwidth will be used for high quality 2 and 4 channel sound.

Radek