DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Newbie would appreciate advice concerning Sony Camcorder malfunction (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/471075-newbie-would-appreciate-advice-concerning-sony-camcorder-malfunction.html)

Gerald Clive January 15th, 2010 03:16 PM

Newbie would appreciate advice concerning Sony Camcorder malfunction

I have been using a Sony HC3 HD camcorder for some time with no problems. Recently it started to record onto tape the Zebra Stripes that indicate areas of high reflectivity (even 'though this option was disabled in the menu).
I can overcome the problem by selecting manual exposure, but the resulting video is of poor (low light) quality.
I have two questions that I would appreciate some help with:
1). Does any member know a quick solution to the problem?
2). If the camcorder requires repair, is there a more cost effective solution than using Sony who want $500.00. just to look at it.

Chad Haufschild January 15th, 2010 04:11 PM

Welcome to the forum, Gerald.

Most Sony's have a reset button under the LCD screen. Have you tried resetting the camera? Normally you have to hold the button in for 15 seconds or more and some cameras have a specific reset procedure. If you haven't tried it yet, bust out your manual and see if it lists a reset procedure.

Hope that helps.

Chad

Marty Welk January 15th, 2010 05:58 PM

its still recording , it worked when you went to manuel.
chances are good that you have something set incorrectally
like say backlight, AE exposure setting adjustment, niteshot stuff , or the AE programs.
If your going to survive with such a complex machine, take a day out and tweak EVERYTHING and see what occurs. We do this not because we intend to use various useless features, but because you want to know what happens when they are accidentally turned on destroying your picture.

Gerald Clive January 16th, 2010 12:06 PM

I appreciate the thoughts, many thanks. I will sit down and take the adjustments one at a time.

Dave Blackhurst January 16th, 2010 03:33 PM

Zebras only appear on screen as a "guide", they are NEVER supposed to be recorded to tape... so

A) it's NOT zebras (though you describe them correctly, so I'm presuming they are), it's something else.
B) it's zebras and they aren't being recorded to tape, but aren't shutting off on the display - can you try a tape in another camera to see if they are ACTUALLY on the tape?
C) it IS zebras, & they are being recorded to tape, try the reset, if it doesn't work, buy a new (probably gently used, as all Sony tape based consumer cams are now discontinued) camera... should be the same or cheaper than repairing the HC3...

Alister Chapman January 17th, 2010 06:26 AM

Have you tried looking at the material on a different monitor? Sometimes very bright scenes that go over 100% exposure can appear to have a pattern across them on some monitors. It may not be the camera that's faulty.