DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Help in chose a HD Camcorder with Full Manual Control (W/LANC) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/473193-help-chose-hd-camcorder-full-manual-control-w-lanc.html)

Andy Corleone February 19th, 2010 03:59 AM

Help in chose a HD Camcorder with Full Manual Control (W/LANC)

Hi, I need some help in chosing a Camcorder with Full Manual controls (Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO, ) my budget is (£250-£400) not sure if a canon HV20 offer me that. if not which camera Preferable Canon or Sony with LANC is a Good invest these days?

Thanks

Chris Hurd February 19th, 2010 06:59 AM

There is no LANC jack on the Canon HV series camcorders, sorry.

I don't know the Sony line very well (hopefully someone else will
respond), but the new Canon HF S series flash memory camcorders
have LANC. When they are operated in Tv (shutter priority) mode
plus Exposure Lock, you have a fixed shutter speed which won't
change and manual control of exposure. Hope this helps,

Dave Blackhurst February 19th, 2010 11:07 AM

Andy -
Your main problem is the budget (ain't it always!)... As Chris stated, the newer HF-S (the s11 and s21 IIRC) canons have manual control and LANC capability, and I seem to recall something about a couple of their new lower priced ones may have the LANC jack too...

From the Sony side IF you want full manual, you're looking at either the XR550V or the CX550V just announced, soon to be available, these are the first Sonys in a while to have manual control... LANC is accessed via the A/V jack on these cams. And since these are the "top of the line" models, you're out of your budget range.

Only other possibility is maybe find a used/just officially discontinued DSC-HC9 (contemporary to the HV20/30) - that has full manual and the 2.5mm LANC jack, but it's a couple sensor generations behind the current crop of tapeless cameras... good camera, but the sensors have advanced so rapidly, it looks a tad dated already...

Andy Corleone February 19th, 2010 11:27 AM

Thanks for the help maybe my budget is too low for my expetations, what do you think about the Panasonic SD700? do you think that one will have manual control & Lanc?

Chris Hurd February 19th, 2010 12:26 PM

Panasonic isn't licensed for LANC. They will have an Aux jack, same type of control features, but compatible only with a proprietary controller, not LANC. Not sure if the SD700 has an Aux jack though.

Rickey Brillantes April 8th, 2010 11:01 AM

About LANC via A/V how does it work, can you give details? My CX550 is on is way and I did'nt see LANC from the specs.

Rickey Brillantes April 8th, 2010 01:03 PM

I found it! Just need the Lanc adapter.

David Sholle April 8th, 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1488246)
Not sure if the SD700 has an Aux jack though.

In looking at the Panasonic site, it appears that the HS700/TM700/SD700 can only be used with an IR remote, included, and not a wired remote. That is too bad, as the features of the 700 otherwise seem to be aimed at the prosumer, who would presumably want the option of a wired remote for serious tripod use.