DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Has anyone ever ACTUALLY had a dropout? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/48827-has-anyone-ever-actually-had-dropout.html)

Stephen Finton August 4th, 2005 12:58 PM

Has anyone ever ACTUALLY had a dropout?

You hear about it as being HDV's #1 downfall but I've never heard anybody say they've had a dropout, yet.

Bryan McCullough August 4th, 2005 01:10 PM

Yes.

My first project with my FX1 I shot about 23 hours of footage over 2 months. I had two instances with dropouts, both as bad as they say (about 15 frames lost).

Both were during interviews and I had to edit around it.

It was a little hassle, but considering the amount of footage I shot I was surprised to only have two.

Since that project I've shot at least another 20 hours with the camera and have had no dropouts.

So, to me it's a very minimal issue that I don't even worry about.

Kevin Shaw August 4th, 2005 02:50 PM

I've had two glitches where the video dimmed visibly for no apparent reason, but other than that nothing yet like a 15-frame dropout. Two weeks ago my brother and I shot several hours of footage on two Sony HDV cameras using standard miniDV tapes, and so far we haven't seen anything that looked like a dropout. I'd call this a neglible issue for most purposes, and if you're really paranoid you'll soon be able to record HDV directly to a Firestore hard drive.

Barry Green August 4th, 2005 03:14 PM

Yes I've had 15-frame freezups. One in camera recording, and several more when outputting footage back to tape. It can happen at either time.

Jeremy Rochefort August 5th, 2005 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
You hear about it as being HDV's #1 downfall but I've never heard anybody say they've had a dropout, yet.

Downfall??? Nah - methinks its the ones who don't standardise on tapes that get these problems.

To date, nearly 94 hrs with FX1 and 18 with Z1 and not one drop out. I also only use my tapes once. I NEVER use a tape twice unless I'm farting about and testing.

Just factor the cost of the tapes into your pricing

Cheers

Bryan McCullough August 5th, 2005 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Rochefort
Downfall??? Nah - methinks its the ones who don't standardise on tapes that get these problems.

To date, nearly 94 hrs with FX1 and 18 with Z1 and not one drop out. I also only use my tapes once. I NEVER use a tape twice unless I'm farting about and testing.

Just factor the cost of the tapes into your pricing

Cheers

This could be. I use TDK tapes, 6 for $16 at Costco. I've used them in every camera I've had since starting my business.

For the price, I'll deal with 2 dropouts per 50+ hours of footage. ;)

Christopher C. Murphy August 5th, 2005 09:28 AM

I used Sony Premium tapes only, never re-use them and I always make sure my camera is stored less than 50% humidity environment (but, more than 40%). Use a de-humidifier in your storage room!

Also, buy some of those "silica" packs for your camera case. I learned about humidity problems way back when I used to be in a rock band. Always watch the humidity with equipment, guitars etc....and your camera too!

Jeremy Rochefort August 5th, 2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough
This could be. I use TDK tapes, 6 for $16 at Costco. I've used them in every camera I've had since starting my business.

For the price, I'll deal with 2 dropouts per 50+ hours of footage. ;)

Probably the reason why you have few dropouts - if any.

My choice though are the Sony premium tapes - call me brand loyal :)

Cheers

Duncan Craig August 5th, 2005 03:34 PM

Had a couple of dropout, recaptured the footage and it worked!

Finished cutting 3x 100 minute concert videos shot on 5x Z1s.

I had 2 dropouts in one of the shows (there were probably more but I didn't see them, they would have been on angles that weren't 'on' during the dropout)

I recaptured the affected parts of the tapes where these dropout occured, and it sorted the problem. Dropout appeared as picture and sound freeze, much longer than 15 frames though - nearer 30 frames.

Kyle Edwards August 6th, 2005 04:18 PM

Only problems I've had where with the Cineform codec crapping out on some frames. Very annoying to go back and recapture a whole segment because of a couple frames here and there.

As far as the camera dropping out on me, only 6hrs shot so far and no drop outs.

EDIT: Adobe Premiere's Cineform codec, not the latest version from Cineform.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 6th, 2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Edwards
Only problems I've had where with the Cineform codec crapping out on some frames. Very annoying to go back and recapture a whole segment because of a couple frames here and there.

As far as the camera dropping out on me, only 6hrs shot so far and no drop outs.

Kyle, without taking the thread off-topic...have you downloaded the latest version of CineForm? I've not had any probs with v 1.7 or 1.8.

I've also shot over 100 hours of HDV at this point with multiple cameras, and the only drop out I've had was more or less intentional, mounting a Z1 to the front of a motorcycle that jumped a distance of 60 feet. I also had 2 dropouts on the A1u, but that could be from the fact that it's a prototype/preproduction model, or could be that I was using cheap walmart tape, as I didn't ahve any DM tape on the road w/me.

Kyle Edwards August 7th, 2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Kyle, without taking the thread off-topic...have you downloaded the latest version of CineForm? I've not had any probs with v 1.7 or 1.8.

I should have mentioned with Premiere's version of the codec. Cineform has cleared up the problem in their later version.

Sean Hansen September 19th, 2005 11:00 AM

I have only used Sony Premium and their HDV tapes in my FX1 for the last year. I haven't had any dropouts yet.

Sean