DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   new dslr workflow for an old gl2 user (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/505358-new-dslr-workflow-old-gl2-user.html)

Harry Doyle February 18th, 2012 11:45 AM

new dslr workflow for an old gl2 user

hi guys
i made skateboarding videos in 2002 and 2005 using adobe premiere 6.5 and a gl2. i had a good workflow for this, and am trying to reproduce it in the modern era. i am now using a canon 60d and a trial version of premiere cs 5.5, which i think i will like to buy since i am used to premiere and it does everything i would like to do. i'd like to get some feedback by explaining my old workflow, and the challenges i'm now facing. i am on windows.

i would rip the footage to the computer using scenalyzer so i would have 60 minute avi files. i would then put a 60 min file into premiere, and just select in the timeline for each trick with a few extra seconds at the beginning and end. i would then export the trick as a dv encoded avi. and do this for each trick. the exported files appeared identical to me, although i was initially concerned if this second generation encoding would be a problem. it allowed for easy organization and editing down the road. i may actually have been using scenalyzer to do all of the cutting up work, i can't remember now.

with the 60d, a new clip is generated for each time you hit record. this isn't really a problem to me. i copy them to my hard drive and load them all into premiere. i understand that premiere now natively works with dslr video. so before i get started a couple of questions:

i am going to use my same method, but the export becomes tricky, as i export each trick out to its own file. i make my new project with the same settings of my source footage. i drag a file into the sequence, and it gets a yellow bar, which is fine. i select my work area to export, and i would like to optimally just get an exact copy of that chunk of data, or render something out that looks pretty much identical with minimal generational loss, as i will edit this exported stuff later, and not revisit the mov files from my camera.

so if my source footage is 1920x1080 30fps 48 audio from the canon, what export settings should i use in premiere? am i possibly using the wrong tool from the job? is there a similar tool to scenalyzer for dslr video? and lastly, if i am already using this type of work flow to cut up my clips, is there an intermediary encoder i should look at, since when edit time comes i will be using pre rendered footage anyway.

thanks for reading
harry

Harry Doyle February 18th, 2012 12:06 PM

Re: new dslr workflow for an old gl2 user

please feel free to move this if there's a more appropriate forum (ie dslr 60d, nle on windows). thanks again