DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Decision? NX5 or used EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/508040-decision-nx5-used-ex1.html)

Mark Chafe May 25th, 2012 10:13 AM

Decision? NX5 or used EX1

Hi,

I think I have my mind set on a new Sony HD camcorder. However, for the price of a new NX5, for a few hundred more I can purchase a used Sony EX1 (not EX1R). Just wondering if the the EX1 is a better purchase for a few hundred more, or the newer NX5 better at $3500ish.

Also, I have the opportunity to purchase a used Canon XL-H1 for the same price as well if that would be a better bargin, although it being HDV tape it has very few hours.

Apologize for the questions, however my budget increased a little bit so I can justify a little bit better camera and looking for the most bang for the buck. I don't necessarily need all the options that each one provides, just the best of the basics i guess.

Thanks
Mark

Dave Mercer May 25th, 2012 11:29 AM

Re: Decision? NX5 or used EX1

I'd go for either the used Sony EX1 or the Canon XF100 (if size matters). My personal choice ...

Buba Kastorski May 25th, 2012 11:32 AM

Best value for your money is EX1, no second thought, i love that camera, and was hoping for EX5 from NAB 2012, but looks like large sensors with no AF and no powered zoom are more popular these days,
even though I own a few large sensor cameras and EX1 is over 4 years old, it still has a beautiful image, way better than any fixed lens camcorder.

Jay West May 25th, 2012 01:16 PM

I also would say to get the EX1. I've had an NX5 since they they came out. It has been a fine camera for what I do even though I really I wanted an EX1. However, at the time I was buying, used EX1 cams were scarce and beyond the budget in any event. A new one was out of the question for me.

The offers sound very good. However, I would be cautious about prices as low as those that were quoted.

An NX5 (sans FMU) usually sells for around $3900 - $4000 ($US) and I thought they were on offer in Canada from reputable sellers for around $4100 ($CAN). It is the somewhat less-capable prosumer version, the AX2000, that sells for around $3500. If the seller is really asking $3500 ($CAN??) for an NX5, I would want to find out if the camera is a return or "reconditioned" unit and find out what comes with it.

I also need to ask, what is a "few hundred" more for a used EX1? Does that mean $400 to $500 more, or does it mean, say, $1500 more? The last time I looked a few weeks ago, the price for used EX1 cams, which were in good condition on offer from reputable sellers, seemed to be around $5300 -- $5400 ($US). So, I would be cautious if the used EX1 is being offered for, say, $4000 or $4500.

Do you know the seller, maybe? Can you verify the condition of the camera?

Jack Zhang May 26th, 2012 01:34 AM

I've used the NX5 and it still had a feeling of "consumer" to it with how the menus are laid out. The noise, (somewhat lessened by the AVCHD codec) resolution, and size of the sensors on the NX5 don't really help, it's around 960x1080 resolution with tons of interpolated pixels. It's 1/3'' too.

The EX1 however is a 1/2'' full 1920x1080 per sensor camera with the XDCAM EX codec, which in my opinion, is way more robust than AVCHD. It's also less CPU intensive for editing since it's MPEG-2 as opposed to H.264.

Definitely go for the EX1. I currently own a EX1R and what screams at me each time I see my own footage is the 1000+ lines of resolving resolution on these cameras.

Mark Chafe May 26th, 2012 04:41 AM

I guess the "few hundred" is probably closer to $1000. The average used EX1 on ebay is around $4500. I have been fairly lucky with ebay so far (knock on wood). All of my previous cameras were ebay purchases and had no problems with any of them.

One of the questions i had of the ex1 was with the ex1r replacing it, was the original model worth buying. I guess it still is.

If i had enough i would probably get the EX3, but if I keep reviewing and comparing I may never get a camera at all lol. I've been almost a year trying to decide. Not a easy decision to make for sure.

Thanks for all the help.

Les Wilson May 26th, 2012 09:33 AM

Mark, the EX1 is as sure a thing as you can do as long as there's nothing wrong with the item. Depending on what you are upgrading from, you will feel anywhere from pleasantly surprised to estatic. The image, ergonomics and feature set are wonderful when moving up from pretty much any camcorder below it. There are many threads here on DVinfo that discuss the differences with the EX1R version so you can compare. I was similarly bent on getting the NX5U but spent the extra to get the EX1R. I am very glad I did. The XDCAM format and workflow is a pleasure. Also, there's something to be said for buying into a venerable camcorder with a stunning wealth of after market accessories and skilled practitioners.

Chris Medico May 26th, 2012 10:30 AM

I have an EX1r and have worked a good bit with the original EX1 as well. Last week I got to work with a NX5.

The NX5 is a nice camera. I much prefer the EX1.

Mark Chafe May 26th, 2012 09:36 PM

The latest camera I am upgrading from is the Sony Z1U. I still have a PD150 with low hours left that I haven't sold yet. I was thinking about a new NX5U with 128GB SSD as the next camera since I have some extra L-series batteries lying around I could use, but if the original EX1 is a lot better than the NX5U, id rather spend the extra $1000 and get that. The EX1R is definitely out of my budget, but a good used EX1 seems to be priced right.

Thanks
Mark

Les Wilson May 27th, 2012 05:14 AM

One of the subtle upgrades you are making in going to the EX1 is moving to a 12v based system. With 12v running the camera, you can use the same batteries to run lights and monitors. The SWIT 8u62 and some other aftermarket batteries have a standard d-tap port so the same battery will run both camera and accessory.

Tom Hardwick May 27th, 2012 06:43 AM

I was in the same position - having sold the Z1 and looking for a replacement. Tape was right out, so it was the NX5 or an EX1. The NX appealed because it used carry-over NPF batteries (I had a lot of them) and the same batteries ran my 160 LED lamp and my 5 inch LCD Lilliput. The NX5 also used the Z1's Lanc controller too.

Oh, but the EX1 gives better pictures, that's for sure. Thing is, for the work I do, the NX5 is perfect. And I could buy new and get Sony's 2 year warranty thrown in. I sometimes pine for the ½" chips better dof control, but the cost difference sure mounts up.

tom.

Jack Zhang May 28th, 2012 03:32 AM

You will not regret going with an EX1. XDCAM's workflow is much more mature than AVCHD. (Especially in Final Cut)

The thing is, AVCHD brings workflow complications depending on what you edit on. AVCHD may work well on a fast quad core PC with the latest Adobe Creative Suite or Sony Vegas, but will never be readable without transcoding on Final Cut. Not to mention, even if you re-wrap AVCHD into a H.264 MOV, that decreases Final Cut's software stability. This is why everyone transcodes AVCHD into a more stable format for editing in FCP.

Adding to the complexity is LPCM audio with AVCHD. Anything older without LPCM NXCAM support simply won't have audio or would be unreadable.

What's the current editing system you use? If it is Final Cut, I wholeheartedly say XDCAM is your better bet.

Mark Chafe May 29th, 2012 08:46 AM

My current editing system is a Mac book pro i7 16GB ram using final cut pro 7. As this is mostly for personal use now I could use premiere or something else. I have looked at other avchd cameras such as the Panasonic hmc 80 (hmc 40) before when my budget was lower but as I can afford an ex1 even if used I think that would be the better choice over anything avchd. I have used broadcast 2/3 cameras for a few years with other projects but have always had sony prosumer. The ex1 should be a step closer to the broadcast cameras for a half decent price.

Just wondering about the SxS adapters to sdhc/xc. Are they as reliable or worth using? If so, any adapters and cards work best?

Thanks for all the feedback. The ex1 and even the nx5 are probably overkill for my uses but as this is a hobby and I have some disposable cash I would like to have the best I can afford.

Mark

Chris Medico May 29th, 2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Chafe (Post 1735566)

Just wondering about the SxS adapters to sdhc/xc. Are they as reliable or worth using? If so, any adapters and cards work best?

Mark

That has been discussed in more depth than you can imagine in the XDCAM area of the forum here.

You can see a list of the top conversations on the subject here - http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1596200

Buba Kastorski May 29th, 2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Chafe (Post 1735566)

i have 1500 hrs on my EX1 and about 1000 hrs were shot on 16/32Gb SDHC cards with SxS adapters,
not a single error, knock on the wood :)