DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Ingest HDV with SD camcorder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/513638-ingest-hdv-sd-camcorder.html)

Darryn Carroll January 20th, 2013 12:50 PM

Ingest HDV with SD camcorder?

Can I ingest HDV with an SD camcorder? When I shot with my VX2100 cam, I would then ingest with a small DV cam. I left the DV cam setup to my PC and also enjoyed saving wear/tear on VX heads. Wondering if I could still do this if I purchase a FX7.

Dave Blackhurst January 20th, 2013 01:16 PM

Re: Ingest HDV with SD camcorder?

NO - you'd need an small HD camcorder to do that - a DV camera will not know what to do with HDV format...

Probably pick up a used HC series camera if you want a cheap "deck".

Jack Zhang January 20th, 2013 07:40 PM

Don't forget the Canon HV series. There are lots of those around and those can also serve as a cheap deck.

Adam Gold January 20th, 2013 11:00 PM

Nope, as Dave very rightly says, DV cams don't "speak" HDV and all you will get will be a blue screen. Best bet, again as Dave recommends, is a Sony HC series as it's in the same family, although a Canon HV series should work too. Note that there are two flavors of HDV, 720 and 1080, and the FX7 is 1080 and a 720-only cam won't read the FX7's signal.

When I bought my first FX1 I also got an HC3 to use as a deck -- it was way cheaper than an actual HDV deck. Later I did get a deck but shortly after that I went tapeless.

I happen to have both an FX7 and a deck with a controller on eBay at the moment, both very lightly used -- if you are interested email me and I'll post a link.

Darryn Carroll January 20th, 2013 11:06 PM

Thanks guys, well I think i am now off the FX7 bandwagon, i am getting scared of its poor low light performance and i shoot mainly weddings. I have no problem mounting a light at the reception, but certainly not at the ceremony. I am back to the research drawing board....

Adam Gold January 20th, 2013 11:09 PM

As I mentioned on your other thread, you should really look into the FX1000. It sounds perfect for your needs and can virtually see in the dark. I had two of them and only gave them up because I needed some of the added features the Z5 offered.

Darryn Carroll January 20th, 2013 11:19 PM

Thanks Adam, I am experiencing brain overload the last few days, just wrote down the FX1000 and am researching now, looks like everything I need, missing XLR but i have/use the Beachtek. Luv the 1.5 lux !!

Adam Gold January 20th, 2013 11:28 PM

The Z5 is the pro twin of the FX1000 with the XLRs. B&H has a couple of used Z5s at the moment if you really care about the XLRs. I have four of them and they are, hands down, the best tape cams I have ever owned. I consider them the pinnacle of the Sony HDV tape cam, even though I now use them with the integral MRC1 card recorders.

These beasts are built like tanks and are flawless performers. I can't say enough about them, and they do offer a plethora of extra firmware features over the FX1000, especially if you think you will be using them in a multi-cam situation (as I do). For the first time in 30 years I have absolutely no desire to move "up" to another cam.

Darryn Carroll January 21st, 2013 12:39 AM

Great advice as always, its a lot like buying a boat. I said "I should never need a bigger boat" 4 boats ago!

I fell in love with the Z5 about a year ago. I had figured a pair with the recorders would be $10,000. Since I cant swing it anyway, I figured I would get my HD feet wet with a pair of used entry level units. No way to know for sure, but I must have couples visiting my website and moving on since I am still SD.

Jack Zhang January 22nd, 2013 05:06 AM

I would look at a used EX1. If you pony up enough for one and you can afford it, it's amazing in low light with the right settings. And you can't go wrong with SxS for reliability, especially if you're filming weddings.

You'll recover your costs really fast if you choose an EX1. The only thing it can't do is Shallow DOF, but the reliability of SxS overtakes that by a longshot if you want to ensure your recordings are properly made.

Willard Hill January 22nd, 2013 05:44 AM

A Sony FX7 is an HDV camcorder. Sony HDR-FX7 3CMOS HDV 1080i Camcorder