DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Confusion over settings - 2 different devices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/516724-confusion-over-settings-2-different-devices.html)

David Malz May 22nd, 2013 06:28 AM

Confusion over settings - 2 different devices

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could guide me in respect of formats so I can best use the technology I have available, I have done extensive research over the Internet but not gotten enough clarity.

I intend to record footage with two different devices, and edit it with Adobe Premiere CS6. I want to get the best quality out of the recordings.

Device 1: Sony HVR-A1E (PAL)
This records in 1080i, which to the best of my knowledge it has a 1440x1080 resolution, 25 fps and 25Mbps bit rate.

Device 2: iPhone 4 (not 4S, so I can only record 720p as opposed to 1080p)
Using Filmic Pro at 720p, which is 1280x720, 25 fps and 24Mbps bit rate.

In Adobe Premiere there are some default settings when creating projects, but none match any of the above, so I believe I need to tailor it, and this is where I am stuck.

Timebase: 25fps. - This one I believe I'm clear about, as I'm PAL.

Frame size: I am assuming 1280x720 (720p) based on the iPhone, I think I have to somehow downgrade the 1080i of the Sony camera, however I am not clear about this.

Pixel aspect ratio: ?

I am also considering to use some stock footage in the project, which I get on NTSC, but I intend to convert to PAL via DVFilm Atlantis software.

Thanks so much for your help

David Malz May 22nd, 2013 03:44 PM

Re: Confusion over settings - 2 different devices

I should probably clarify, I intend to do a short documentary, most of it interview based, so no much movement or action of any sort. In case this is relevant!

Daniel Epstein May 30th, 2013 08:19 AM

David,
I would use the settings most compatible with the Sony and convert the Iphone video as needed. Not sure how Adobe lets you scale and if you told me you were shooting most of it on the iphone my advice might reverse. Either way your footage is going to have to scale and may have to be deinterlaced (1080i to 720P) as well.
If you do use the 1280x720 timeline with square pixels the iphone will be okay but the Sony material will need to be interpreted properly as the 1440x1080 covers 1920x1080 by stretching the pixels. This is done to save data rate and should not be an issue quality wise but the computer will have to handle the conversion properly as the pixels are not square.

David Malz June 1st, 2013 11:39 AM

Thanks Daniel,

So basically my timeline should be 1920x1080, deinterlaced, to fit with the Sony requirements and I should upscale and convert the iPhone (1280x720) interlaced to 1920?

Is that even possible? Or do I need to convert the iPhone footage into something else that may be "compatible" with the Sony?

Daniel Epstein June 1st, 2013 04:47 PM

Quick Google search came up with the easy answer. In Premier Preferences check a box called "Default Scale to Frame Size" Works on importing the clips.

Adobe Community: 720p video in 1080p timeline has black borders