DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Need some input on new camera .. Kindly (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/525671-need-some-input-new-camera-kindly.html)

Michael C. Ray November 9th, 2014 05:12 PM

Need some input on new camera .. Kindly

Currently looking to settle on a new video camera – I thought I was settled on a used Sony PMW EX1R then found some dis-hearting posts on the focus aspect of that model …. I am not familiar with any other brands, I have used Sony from PD150 to VX2100 to FX1 now it is time to upgrade again. (I keep my gear forever it seems) …

My work consists of small business interviews, static and action shots of said business – Insurance companies to doctors to lawyers to landscaping companies to quilters to slot car houses to restaurants and everything in between.

I also shoot out doors mainly bass fishing which is fast and a lot of movement, this is my concern with the EX1R, the auto focus I have read is not so good and manual focus for this is out of the question.

I want to move from tape to tapeless, need xlr inputs for interviews, prefer Sony

Budget $4,500.00 MAX

Any suggestions??

David Dixon November 9th, 2014 09:14 PM

Re: Need some input on new camera .. Kindly

Have you considered the new Sony X70? 1 inch sensor, XLRs, lots of custom picture controls, 10 bit 4:2:2, and there's a promised 4K upgrade coming in the next 6 months for future-proofing. It doesn't have a super long zoom, will probably not be fabulous in low light, but is very small and the XLR is even removable if you really need something super portable.

Best of all, only $2300 (we don't know how much the 4K upgrade will cost).

There's an X70/AX100/CX100 forum here now with lots more info.

Bryan Cantwell November 10th, 2014 09:04 AM

You could just pick up a used Sony HVR-MRC1 and keep using your current camera.

Noa Put November 10th, 2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

You could just pick up a used Sony HVR-MRC1 and keep using your current camera.
But that won't improve the image quality from his camera's, I have had a vx2100 and in order to shoot 16:9 you loose even more quality in standard definition because you are cropping the top and bottom from your 4:3 image in camera. Even a phone that shoots 4K will put that camera to shame if you compare IQ.

Now I"m not saying you need 4k, unless you want the possibility to crop your image without image degradation, or take high rez frames from your images, but if you are considering the same formfactor I"m sure you will be happy with the sony x70, especially because it's a future proof camera if you plan to hold onto it for several years and at a certain point want to shoot 4K, until then you can just shoot 1080p.

The camera does have some rolling shutter issues so for fast action, meaning if you need to do fast pans, it's not a very good camera. Autofocus is ok but don't expect wonders from it.

Dave Blackhurst November 10th, 2014 11:16 AM

Even considering the FX1, that camera is pretty "dated" at this point. The X70 indeed looks like a pretty good option - I have the AX100, and aside from not having XLR (I suppose you could add via a 3rd party box like Beachtek?), it's a LOT of camera for the money. The X70 is the "pro" version of the AX100 (akin to the FX1/Z1 consumer and pro versions).

Only other "wildcard" if you have any interest in an interchangeable lens camera might be the A7s - seeing some very nice images coming out of that camera, but it's a completely different imaging capture format. As someone used to shooting video with a "still" camera, I'd consider it, but if you're leaning towards a video camera, the above recommendations are probably what you should look at...

There has been a lot of improvement in image quality in the years since the FX1, even one of the RX series Sony Cybershots would probably shock you with the difference, and those are sub $1K "still" cameras with good to excellent video capabilities. LOTS of options depending on what one needs and what format ergonomicallly one would prefer.

Bryan Cantwell November 10th, 2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1867382)
But that won't improve the image quality from his camera's...

Oh, I know that. But he didn't mention anything about image quality, the only requirements he mentioned were wanting to go tapeless, and a max budget, so I went with the "keep it obtusely simple" answer option. Just to cover all the bases.

The X70 looks fine, and I'd also consider the NEX-EA50 as well.

The A7s (or any other mirrorless/DSLR for that matter) doesn't meet his requirements, as he is dependent on full time auto focus for his work. And on that note, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the autofocus on the EX1r, just for the record.

Michael C. Ray November 10th, 2014 02:30 PM

I did not mention image quality (sorry) as I thought that would be a "given", seeing as the FX1 is huge "dated". As I said I get full use out of my gear, prob keep it way too long ...

I did check into the Sony HVR-MRC1 a while back - with mounting / cable connections and wanting to add XLR it, to me is a waste, maybe get another year out of the FX1 this route ....

X70 - I dunno something about it says "stay away" but everything I have read is for the most part really good

EX1R - Maybe I find one local to fiddle with ....

I am trying to look at as much footage for both options as I can ...

I have a T3i I shoot with and still learning, not 100% comfortable with it

David Johns November 17th, 2014 11:47 AM

I'd just add that, since you're keen on autofocus, I found the autofocus on the PXW-X70 can be really sluggish to respond and sometimes you have to convince it to lock onto what you want it to.

Regards
Dave

Michael C. Ray November 17th, 2014 01:19 PM

Sorting between:

EX1R and the HXR-NX3 .....

John Nantz November 17th, 2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael C. Ray (Post 1867398)
I did not mention image quality (sorry) as I thought that would be a "given", seeing as the FX1 is huge "dated". As I said I get full use out of my gear, prob keep it way too long ...

I did check into the Sony HVR-MRC1 a while back - with mounting / cable connections and wanting to add XLR it, to me is a waste, maybe get another year out of the FX1 this route ....

X70 - I dunno something about it says "stay away" but everything I have read is for the most part really good.

Don't feel bad - I'm in the same boat. That is, waiting way too long. It seems like every time I start to come up with a short list there is something else that springs to the top of the To-Do list and a few months later the landscape has changed. Been looking closely at the X70, actually since around the end of July, want to find out what the "gotchas" are (major one: not FCPX friendly but "they're working on it"), only to see JVC coming out with some cams in February and March (and I know they're FCPX friendly out of the box). Then Canon has been awfully quiet.

4K and almost 4k. In the next few months there should be a lot more choices in this size range to choose from.

Currently working on upgrading computers and have a huge backlog of editing to do. At this point, what's a couple more months? Besides, people say Sony will probably charge for the FCPX capability.

Edit: and 60p

Michael C. Ray November 24th, 2014 08:14 AM

Decision:

Sony EX1R
iFootage Shark Slider
Dana Dolly

Thanks for the input ....