DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Focusing Target for Stage and Dance setups. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/532307-focusing-target-stage-dance-setups.html)

Jay Massengill July 22nd, 2016 01:14 PM

Focusing Target for Stage and Dance setups.

4 Attachment(s)
I created a new manual focusing target to use at my annual 3-camera, two-night dance recital video setup. I have full access to the stage before dress rehearsal and before each night's performance, and this new target makes manual focus for the static cameras much easier.

The stand and target are placed at the appropriate depth of the stage for the best guess based on the performance and the particular camera's static framing. The stand is elevated to head height.

I've scanned the drawing I made and it's attached here as a jpg image for printing if anyone wants it.

I drew the original on a spare piece of foamboard. Then I used epoxy to attach a steel fender washer on the back so the target could stay flat for transport and storage (the mounting bracket is separate).

A couple of small magnets connect between the steel washer and a small steel bracket from the junk pile, attached at the top of a lightweight stand.

The venue is very large, with very high stadium seating and a large stage. Having this target to work with has given me a lot more confidence that I've achieved the best manual pre-focus possible while framed for the static shots I want.

The drawing scan, and a few shots of the stand and target with magnetic bracket are attached.

Bruce Dempsey July 22nd, 2016 05:59 PM

Re: Focusing Target for Stage and Dance setups.

thanks Jay
I will print a copy if I may

Jay Massengill July 22nd, 2016 06:26 PM

You're welcome. Yes, print all you would like. And send me a percentage if you market them!

It's sized to print cleanly on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. Deselect "Fit Picture To Frame", or whatever equivalent your printing software uses to print an image without expanding it.

The original foamboard is 8" x 8" but I have found that is just a little too large to fit the commonly discarded tablet and iPad boxes I could find.

I will probably print another and trim it down to about 7.5" x 7.5" to fit one of those boxes to keep it safe in my crowded gear bag. Most of those boxes also have a recessed well that originally held accessories. I will glue a stronger magnet in the bottom of the well to hold the separate steel bracket secure from banging around.

I could have trimmed the original, but I had already taped the edges for added durability when I realized it was slightly too wide. And I didn't want to slip while trimming it and also have to redo the edge tape.

I didn't think about scanning it and making it available for distribution or easy resizing and copying until later.

I hope it will help some folks out. It has certainly been helpful to me.

Noa Put July 23rd, 2016 01:23 AM

Thx for sharing! Prefocussing on an empty stage, even a well lit one, can be very tricky because peaking doesn't work well on the floor and dark background and letting your camera do a autofocus is no guarantee for a accurate focus either.