DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   HDV and Broadcast HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/53880-hdv-broadcast-hd.html)

Steve Crisdale November 5th, 2005 06:05 PM

HDV and Broadcast HD

Now that HDV has been around long enough to know what is and is not possible with it...

What's the feeling regarding HDV being able to provide video quality capable of broadcast on Free to Air HD newtworks?

Is it's quality when processed and delivered at the optimum only worthy of momentary 'filler' cut-away shots at best.

I know there have been a few posts from those who have found opposition from broadcast networks to using HDV... but is it truly HDV that's incapable of delivering? Or; could it be that HDV represents a democratising threat that an industry such as the broadcast one has never had to face before? Who knows?

Maybe someone here does!!

It'd be interesting to hear what you all think, feel or have experienced!!

Mike Teutsch November 5th, 2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Crisdale
Now that HDV has been around long enough to know what is and is not possible with it...

What's the feeling regarding HDV being able to provide video quality capable of broadcast on Free to Air HD newtworks?

Is it's quality when processed and delivered at the optimum only worthy of momentary 'filler' cut-away shots at best.

I know there have been a few posts from those who have found opposition from broadcast networks to using HDV... but is it truly HDV that's incapable of delivering? Or; could it be that HDV represents a democratising threat that an industry such as the broadcast one has never had to face before? Who knows?

Maybe someone here does!!

It'd be interesting to hear what you all think, feel or have experienced!!

Steve,

This is a very good question indeed. A lot of it depends on many many prejudices by many many people and many many companies!

The difference between 720p and 1080i is subjective in many ways, as one is better in some situations and the other is better in others. This involves the inhearent differences between progressive and interlaced. If there were a 1080p format, then it would be pretty much moot. At this time I think that both formats have their place. 720p is used for faster paced sports and works better, and the Monday Night football I get is 720p. Most of the HD channels use 1080i, because it involves little or no real motion, and they just get more lines of resolution. Looks really great standing still!

Some prejudices involve brand loyalty. JVC and Sony were the first to have the HDV cameras. Again, each have their following and their distractors. I have a JVC and it has its good points! I have a friend who has a Sony and it is great too. Many prejudices have to do with not having all the features that the users want. Many who bought the JVC wanted manual everything!!!! While I don't know the techinical aspects of these things, I'll bet that would have made each a more difficult unit to produce, especially as first HDV cameras! The companies are not trying to cheat or short change you, it is just that the progress take time, money and sales.

In the long run, neither format may survive. Something new will come a long and make them both obsolete. But, you can bet that without the first two, JVC and Sony, little or no progress and improvments would have been forthcomming this soon. My cuddos to both companies! Someone has to get it started.

None of this is easy, and none of it will last for long. Change is inevitable!

Mike

Jacques Star November 5th, 2005 11:29 PM

HDV for broadcast

WFAA here in Dallas has a couple of Sony Z1's, so does Nightline, and they use them on occasion, so, HDV cameras have shot broadcasted material.

In terms of HDV used for broadcast in High Definition, it's probably already been done, somewhere. I've worked on crews where the main camera was a Sony F900, and the "B" cam getting cutaways was a Sony Z1. After editing, it's dumped to an HDCAM or DVCPro master, of course.

or, mounting HD cameras on race cars for sports productions, or other "specialty shots" much less risky with a smaller, inexpensive camera.

JVC is coming out with an HD-SDI deck. This iss a major issue with HDV for broadcast, getting the video in and out, not necessarily the HDV format itself.

I think HDV will be around as long as most other format's life spans, usually 10 to 15 years. And, yes, you will see some television HDV material.