DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   L.A. 4-camera shootout questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/58170-l-4-camera-shootout-questions.html)

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2006 10:38 AM

MacWorld... a separate thread perhaps? No, I'll answer it here. Nothing interesting to report related to MW itself, as I seldom pay much attention to the actual trade show (unless it's NAB). I use expos such as MW primarily as opportunities to meet people. Seeing old friends, making new ones. Running into fellow DV Info Net members and meeting them face to face for the first time. Catching up with folks I don't get to see in person except for a couple of times a year at various events. Who am I having dinner with and where, that's usually the biggest news of the day for me. Plus the city itself, I love San Francisco and hadn't been there in awhile, and part of my reason for going to MW was just to enjoy one of my favorite cities for a few days. That's my MacWorld report.

David Saraceno January 15th, 2006 11:14 AM

Chris:

did you attend Mike Horton's LAFCPUG confab on Wednesday night?

Anything interesting there?

Evan C. King January 15th, 2006 02:31 PM

Thanks guys I guess I'll look a little harder for some reason at my local coles and chapters there are next to no videography or filmmaking magazines for some reason, the best I can find is videomaker and I don't even see it that often, I'll ask them about it, but if the magazine really is that good I'll probably just subcribe like Eric suggested that takes the hassle right out.

Bill Pryor January 15th, 2006 02:53 PM

Most of the magazines like DV, Videography, etc., give you free subscriptions if you're a working professional or a student (or pretend to be, winkwink,nudgenudge).

Sergio Perez January 16th, 2006 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Most of the magazines like DV, Videography, etc., give you free subscriptions if you're a working professional or a student (or pretend to be, winkwink,nudgenudge).

I envy all you guys... You have the trade shows, the expo's, the magazines, even rental shops and places to try out your gear (not to forget workshops!)

I had to buy my dvx just by online research, I had to learn to operate my Glidecam Smooth Shooter without any professional help (you have workshops in the US for steadicams, right?), there are NO production magazines or Pro gear magazines around, and so on...

This is pretty much a lonely and harduous journey of self education and enlightment on the art of FIlmmaking here!

Bill Porter January 16th, 2006 03:17 AM

Wow, Macau! You aren't kidding- that is pretty far from the NAB show and Macworld.

Keep going though - sometimes the nicest gems are formed in the toughest places.

Eric Brown January 17th, 2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio Perez
I envy all you guys... You have the trade shows, the expo's, the magazines, even rental shops and places to try out your gear (not to forget workshops!)

I had to buy my dvx just by online research, I had to learn to operate my Glidecam Smooth Shooter without any professional help (you have workshops in the US for steadicams, right?), there are NO production magazines or Pro gear magazines around, and so on...

This is pretty much a lonely and harduous journey of self education and enlightment on the art of FIlmmaking here!

Yeah, Sergio you're right. It's easy to forget we have it good sometimes. Still, you have your camera and your imagination. In other words, you basically have most of what you need right there.
James Cameron said that sometimes it's better to be handicapped on the budget or resource side, it forces you to be more creative.

Sergio Perez January 19th, 2006 09:12 PM

I believe all of us just have to keep pushing ourselves with what we have. After all, this is what we fight for, isn't it? Thanks for the insentive!