DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Why all the HD demand now? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/59365-why-all-hd-demand-now.html)

Peter Ferling January 31st, 2006 06:18 PM

Ash, I agree, SD is still there. Just that I'm not going to reinvest in SD equipment, when I know that HDV/HD can be had for not much more, and can do just as good or better than SD. It's technology, it happens. Take advantage, c'mon in, the waters warm... join us... (resistence is futile... :)

Kevin Shaw January 31st, 2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I have seen SDX900 SD footage uprezzed to HD and it looked GREAT, way better than anything I see out of an HVX or XLH.

Your points are well taken and there's no doubt plenty of money to be made yet producing SD video, but I haven't seen any upsampled SD footage which looked like anything other than upsampled SD when viewed on a good display. Maybe footage from an SDX900 intercuts nicely with HD because it looks so good in terms of overall image characteristics, but the resolution is still limited to basically 1/3 megapixel and that's just poor. Most photographers avoided digital still cameras like a plague until they got to around 5-6 megapixel resolution, and yet for video we're willing to accept less than 1/10th of that?

By all means keep making money with SD if you can, and use good SD cameras when it makes sense to do so. But let's admit that the basic resolution of SD video is so low, it's a wonder anyone ever accepted it.

Ash Greyson January 31st, 2006 09:58 PM

Ever seen a 480p DVD? That is SD and to average Joe is not discernable from DVD. I did an A/B on Shrek 2... splitting hairs really.

Quit thinking merely in terms of lines and pixels. When you SEE good 2/3" CCD SD bumps to HD, then you will realize that it looks BETTER than native footage from the Z1u. You mention digital stills... a higher megapixel on a SMALLER sensor will generally not look as good as a lower megapixel on a larger sensor.

Again, the Showtime HD show "The Making of Smile" looked great, most everyone who has seen it has been impressed.

ash =o)

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 31st, 2006 10:00 PM

I think this is a good time to close this thread, since it's no longer offering up new information. Please start a new thread if you have anything new to add to the subject.

Ash Greyson January 31st, 2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Ash, I agree, SD is still there. Just that I'm not going to reinvest in SD equipment, when I know that HDV/HD can be had for not much more, and can do just as good or better than SD. It's technology, it happens. Take advantage, c'mon in, the waters warm... join us... (resistence is futile... :)

No resistance... I had 2 shoots today with a Varicam and I also use an HVX200 and an XLH (I do not OWN those, just have fairly unlimited access). Equipment is not an investment, it is a tool. If you can make more money with the $100 hammer, GO FOR IT... if not, buy the $20 hammer.

ash =o)