DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   What are we? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/59867-what-we.html)

Richard Alvarez February 7th, 2006 03:03 PM

Think about how small publishers are still refered to as 'small press'. Even "Press Pass" goes back to printing press - which is more often than not some sort of laser 'spray' or coat or... whatever. So yeah, old technological terms on new technology... it happens in lots of endeavors.

Jim Giberti February 8th, 2006 12:57 PM

To quote a venerable wise man, "call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner".

If you tell great stories someone might call you talented...even brilliant...those are the only terms that really matter.

Steven White February 8th, 2006 01:19 PM

Hm. Alternatively:

"Rolling" - The tape is now rolling through the heads.
"Cut" - The feed of data to the tape has been cut off.
"Film" - A thin "film" of magnetic material covers the tape.

See... It's not all bad :P

-Steve

Aaron Koolen February 8th, 2006 02:14 PM

I really don't think it matters what you call us, or use for terms, anyone who has an issue with you saying you're 'filming' something when you're using tape, I think needs to remove the proverbial carrot.

Saying, "We're filming tomorrow", or "roll camera", "cut" etc are words, that we all know and understand, and the format is irrelevant. If I want to sound flash, I'll just give the information... "We're filming tomorrow. And it's on 35MM FILM STOCK with a Panavision camera! - How cool is that!?!"

If I say "I'm filming" noone that I ever meet any more cares, or assumes I'm actually talking about film stock.

Bill McMullen February 8th, 2006 11:57 PM

'Speed' still kickin'

"Useless term still used on the set:
"Speed" - this has become archaic since digital video and sound recording took hold."

I have to disagree... I would have thought so too, until I was on the set of an interview and the DP was using a Sony Z1U with an oscillating ground-glass lens-mount attachement.... Seems we had to wait a second while the oscillating motor got up to speed!

The term lives on!!!

Meryem Ersoz February 9th, 2006 10:54 AM

well, i still hear the phrase "dialing the number, " as in phone number, even though the dial went the way of the dodo long ago. i'm still "mousing" with my touchpad. language always takes a long time to catch up to technology.

i guess western union just stopped issuing telegrams about two or three days ago....guess that's the end of another storied word in the history of technological language.

Ken Hodson February 9th, 2006 01:56 PM

I think "filmaker" should be replaced by "discmaker".
Even if a "feature" is shot on film, it is far more common that it will be distributed on millions of discs even if it has a success full theater run. With the intro of HD-DVD and digital theater projection, the term "film" will continue to slide. So a "feature" is still a feature, but soon without "film". Good-bye "feature filmaker", hello "feature discmaker"! What do you think?

Michael Wisniewski February 10th, 2006 12:18 AM

How about something simple like "Guy with camera".

Sergio Perez February 10th, 2006 01:46 AM

We are mice- multimedia individuals creating entertainment.

William Hohauser February 11th, 2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio Perez
We are mice- multimedia individuals creating entertainment.

MICE is the best.

I brought up the term "speed" as archaic since it was traditionally used to indicate the time after the actual start of recording on the media (film or tape) when action could safely commence. I don't remember how long it is for film with sound recording but it was usually over five seconds for videotape. This way you could be sure the deck had actually engaged and you were far enough away from the pause point so the editor had ample clean pre-roll. These days, on a properly shot digital tape, you can edit a frame after the pause without worry. With the exception of special circumstances, "rolling" is a better term.

My whole (admittedly vague) point was that the terms are fluid along with the rest of our language. The words "filming", "cut", "cinematographer" make people a whole lot more comfortable than "videotaping" "pause" and "videographer". So why fight it? In a few years there will barely be a difference.

Ken Hodson February 11th, 2006 10:52 PM

"We are mice- multimedia individuals creating entertainment."

I like it, but it sounds to wussie for me.
How about?

R.A.T's

revolutionary - artistic - technologist's

Paul Jefferies February 12th, 2006 06:15 AM

Don't forget that "Music Videos" have always been music videos, even when shot on film...