DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   HVR-A1U or DVX100B (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/77065-hvr-a1u-dvx100b.html)

Matt Davis October 12th, 2006 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
i think Jeff de Maagd makes one

You're right: http://dm-accessories.com/HC1-SHIM.php

but note that if your tripod head is larger than the little photo-style head, the tape will still foul the mounting plate or the head.

There's one tall enough to let you get the tape out without removal, but the setup's going to be unwieldy with the XLR adaptor on top too.

Andrea Miller October 12th, 2006 06:02 AM

Bottom loading not a problem

I do either short narratives using a tripod, in that case loading the tape from the bottom is not a problem, since I shoot always less than 10 minutes at a time, then incur at least 30 minutes of prep for the second shot, moving lights, preparing actors etc before I shoot another 5 minutes, so really! Fiction requires so much prep that this is not an issue. Somebody can always change the tape while somebody else is taking 30 minutes to set up the lights in another spot.

What worries me is the autofocus and the ability to disengage it. Can it be removed, disengaged? And if yes, is focusing manually possible. I wish I could have access to a A1U before buying one, but I can't find one and Im going ot have to get one on line.

As far as focus, I know the DVX is great.

So when I'm comparing the two cam, I'm only comparing the quality of the pictures and sound. Seems that people on this forum are gearing me toward the DVX though.

Mathieu Ghekiere October 12th, 2006 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea Miller
Seems that people on this forum are gearing me toward the DVX though.

I think that's because the A1U is more geared towards consumers then a DVX.

Chuck Fadely October 12th, 2006 07:51 AM

I own a Sony HVR-A1U. For what it is, it's an ok camera. The reds come out really funky and the low-light images are really noisy. You can manually control everything, but some things are not convenient to change. It is too light to use hand-held. But images are really sharp from it. You'll need to work on the color in post.

I also have a Z1U and have tested the JVC and Canon HDV cameras. I'm a little disappointed in HDV -- the sharpness is great but motion looks funky no matter what you do with it. The JVC progressive looks the best out of the bunch, to my eye. But read the threads on all the cameras -- all are compromises. I will say, though, that I've seen 10 of the dvx100 Panasonics out in the wild (of mini-dv professional land) for every one of anything else.

The bigger question is what else does your budget cover? The A1U is about $2500 and the dvx about $3500. Your movies will be a lot better if you spend thousands on sound and tripod and use a $500 camera, rather than spending thousands on a camera and $500 on mics and tripod. I would definitely recommend budgeting for good wired and wireless mics first, and a low-end (still over $1,000) pro tripod before deciding on a camera.

chuck

Andrea Miller October 12th, 2006 10:15 AM

thanks Chuck.

I already have two pro mic, together above 2000 bucks
I have a $ 1500 tripod, including head
All the XLR cables, softies, boompoles, SD monitors etc..

I used to own a PD 150 PAL, sold it and now I'm shopping for a cam.
If I could at least try a A1U before buying one that'd be great, but I don't like what I'm reading, about the color, and no, I don't really think I should spend hours doing color corection.

I think I'm going to get a DVX100B, they can be found for a little less than 3200 I think, it's still 1000 more than a A1U. I do believe it's a great cam, but its standard is on its way out. Maybe I should just bite the bullet, use plastic, which I never do and get a HD-110 or wait for that Sony V1? Or wait for the V1 to be out to get the DVX cheaper?

Andrea Miller October 12th, 2006 10:17 AM

Ok

thanks Chuck.

If I could at least try a A1U before buying one that'd be great, but I don't like what I'm reading, about the color, and no, I don't really think I should spend hours doing color corection.

I think I'm going to get a DVX100B, they can be found for a little less than 3200 I think, it's still 1000 more than a A1U. I do believe it's a great cam, but its standard is on its way out. Maybe I should just bite the bullet, use plastic, which I never do and get a HD-110 or wait for that Sony V1? Or wait for the V1 to be out to get the DVX cheaper?

Mathieu Ghekiere October 12th, 2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea Miller
thanks Chuck.

Hi Andrea,

you could also wait for a Canon XH A1?
If you really want a camera for narrative work, but you don't want Standard Definition, there are other options, I think the Canon would be one of the best, but it comes at 3999 dollar MSRP, this october or november.
And did you already check out the Andromeda device?
I don't know the details of it, but what I do know:

pro:
- you get HD resolution out of a DVX
- you get more lattitude

contra:
- you loose your warranty
- you have to record to a laptop or hard drive, and if I'm not mistaken, it only works with Mac.