DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Survivorman cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/77226-survivorman-cameras.html)

Andy Peterson October 10th, 2006 06:43 PM

Survivorman cameras

Hello all,

Does anyone have any camera recommendations for this season of Survivorman?

If you aren't familiar with the show, check out www.survivorman.ca

Needless to say, the cameras need to be tough!

We most likely have our main cameras nailed down, but we are looking for cool, smaller, sports cameras. Underwater, pencil cameras, anything cool that you think Les could use to get some of those great shots.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

-Andy

Ken Hodson October 11th, 2006 03:16 AM

I think the show would advise if not insist on your cam choices. Ask the producers. I do not think anyone here works for that show so how would we know?
I would guess a PD150/170. The native interlaced low light performance would make them a favorite. In fact I really can't think of another option give the non crew/lighting aspect.

James Harring October 11th, 2006 04:41 AM

Survivorman Camera

While not the best for low light, I'd consider the Sony HC3, mainly because there is an weatherproof case that goes down to 17 feet underwater available. Slogging all that equipment must be a challenge in itself; guessing it might be nice to keep to minimum.

PS Since your location is Ontario, assuming you are crew on the show? FYI: I pretty much watched every episode. Am a big fan of the show since I hunt and fish in wilderness (Florida swamps); some of the tips are very useful. I recommend it to my outdoor buddies. Make more episodes!

PSS, emergency mosquito repellant (if nothing else is available) - smear mud on you.

One other tip: Maybe you could explain a man's attraction to this show to my wife? She sees no reason to venture further into the woods than her hair dryer cord can reach.

Richard Zlamany October 11th, 2006 09:20 AM

The answer use to be on his forum but that forum is down.

From what I recall, they used a lot of different cams depending on the situation, from SD to HD, to cams with nightshot mode, to shoulder mounts, to small cams, and a special cams for time lapse.

Anyhow, that is a fun show and I enjoy it. Checkout his web site to learn more.

Chris Stearns October 11th, 2006 09:58 AM

Just make sure you throw an old hi-8 cam in the mix in case Les wants to cannabalize the lens like he did on that one episode.

Seriously though, the new consumer HD cams (the really small ones) and maybe a small 3ccd cam (gs300) would do the trick without weighing Les down too much.

I would love to see a behind-the-scenes of Survivorman just to see how Les manages to work the cameras and survive at the same time.

EDIT: Just saw on the site that episode 10 is a behind-the-scenes. Can't wait to check it out.

Andy Peterson October 12th, 2006 01:20 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for your advise.

We are in the process of gearing up for season 2.

Les wanted me to scout out some new cool cameras, so I thought this would be a good forum to start.

Any more suggestions, keep them coming!

-Andy

Gabriel Yeager October 12th, 2006 02:59 PM

Hey! I love the show! Thanks for making more.

Uhh, how about the Gl2? I have seen some great stuff come off of it. Its pretty small.

Its a little of topic, but do you think you could tell me what it was that you used on the first season?

Thanks!
~Gabriel~