DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Basic dubbing question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/91589-basic-dubbing-question.html)

Kevin Carter April 15th, 2007 05:02 PM

Basic dubbing question

I have 2 Sony HDR-HCS's and can't figure out how to dub a tape between them.
I have the FW cord all set up fine between them.
The manual is no help, so I will have to get help here.

I remember with Canon GL1, I would (strangely) put both camcorders in PLay mode, then play the one with the recorded tape and hit record on the other, and with GL1, the recording camera would start recording even though it was in play mode.

Anyway, I've tried all variations, and that does not work with Sony.

I"ve tried everything and cannot get the picutre of what being played back on the playback device to show on the recording device. the recording device, just continues to record what's in the room. The manual is no help, hopefully someone here knows.

Marcus Marchesseault April 15th, 2007 07:09 PM

If your "record" camera is taking video from the lens, you are in camera mode and not VTR mode. Switch (same as power switch) the camera into VTR/VCR mode and it should automatically sense the incoming signal.

Kevin Carter April 16th, 2007 04:57 PM

thanks Marcus:
someone mentioned this, I'm confused:

I see three modes;
camera memory, play/edit, and camera tape.

I have the deck playing back at play/edit mode.
Don't see anywhere: VCR mode. How am I missing this?

Adam Gold April 17th, 2007 12:35 PM

Play/edit is the VCR mode. But both cams need to be set that way. Otherwise the record cam acts as a camera and records the picture from the lens, not the firewire port.

And obviously the playback deck needs to be set to play the right signal -- i.e. HDV vs DV. If the cam doesn't match the tape being played all you'll get is a blue screen and no output from the firewire.

If you're copying HDV to HDV, make sure VCR type is set to HDV or Auto, and i.Link Conv is OFF.

Kevin Carter April 17th, 2007 08:28 PM

thanks Adam!

Ok, getting closer.
I have both set to play.
Deck that I want to record on hase the picture of whats playing on the play deck.
But when I click on little record circle on the far left bottom of the lcd, nothing happens, wont record.
Hitting play and record together there does not work either. All that does it start play on record deck and I see blue screen. HItting record on the other record button of the recording deck, ( on the off/on wheel) of course does not work.

Adam Gold April 18th, 2007 12:35 PM

In the record deck you're using a brand new tape that doesn't have the anti-record tab switched, yes?

Then I'm stumped. It should work if you're using the touchscreen controls rather than the hard button... If you're getting picture on the record deck then the signal's coming through.

My HC3 manual notes to make sure both cams are set to AUTO in the HDV/DV menu, but I don't see how this would affect the record button not working...

Kevin Carter April 18th, 2007 08:09 PM

got it, page 78 on manaul, hidden in VCR dubbing section, you have to go to Menu, and find Rec CTRL