DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Help me pick a camera! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/96837-help-me-pick-camera.html)

Kevin Haberer March 24th, 2007 09:12 PM

Camera of choice?

If you were shooting (cameraman/DP) a movie which your producer wants to eventually print to film for theatrical viewing/distribution, but wanted to shoot on a digital medium because of heavy cgi, which camera would you use? And why that camera?
Please answer this as a cameraman and not as a producer AKA don't think about budget.

Brian Drysdale March 25th, 2007 05:56 AM

Currently I'd go for either a Sony F950 or a Viper, ideally recorded uncompressed 2k 4:4:4:, but check out HDCAM SR with your post people. The HDCAM and DVPROHD formats have too much compression for high quality effects work.

In the future, perhaps the RED or SI 2K might be possible candidates. The RED is going to be used for the VFX shots on a feature that is being mostly shot on film. However, I don't know if they're using RED CODE or recording uncompressed.

Rob Willemse April 27th, 2007 04:48 PM

Choosing a new cam

Im new on this forum. I hope i'm posting this thread in the right
forum part. Sorry if i'm posting in the wrong one.

My old sony consumer cam dcr-trv25e has just died and
now Im looking for a new cam.
Im not a pro but want to learn more about filming.

My aim is to buy a cam thats not to "professional" but is a step higher
then my old cam and gives me some more control than my dcr-trv25e had.

The following cams I have in mind: sony HDR-FX7, HVR-A1 or the canon HV20.

Im going to use the cam for some wedding filming and for making some
short movies as a hobby.

Can anyone help me out to choose the right cam. My bugget is arround
2500 euro's. Other cam suggestions are welcome too.

Santi de la Fuente April 28th, 2007 05:29 AM

I replaced my old TRV-8E for a HDR-FX7 and I'm very happy but I think your budget is a bit short for this cam:-(

You have to think you have to buy extra things like batteries, one bag, filters...

these are my numbers: FX7=2800 euros
Kata bag=220 euros
extra battery=85 euros
UV filter=30 euros

I have spent 3135 euros in total! and you have to think a Canon A1 is more expensive!

The FX7 is a fantastic cam. If you can wait one or two months and earn more money you will be very happy with it.

Rob Willemse April 28th, 2007 08:28 AM

fx7

Thanks for the reply

500,00 euro's more is acceptable for me. So you suggest that the
HDR-FX7 is a better choise then the HVR-A1 or canon HV20?

I heard that the FX7 is not so good in low light situations?
Is it really so terrible, or is it just the pro's and sceptics that can see the difference? Is the HV20 better in low light?

Ik know that the canon HV20 is a good cam, with good reviews, but has lesser manuel controls.
Can a canon HV20 be compared with a FX7?
Or is it a total different group that will buy the HV20 over the FX7.

Also, can the HVR-A1 be compared with the other 2 cams?

When i'm making short movies does progressive shooting
be needed to get a good filmish look? I know that the HV20 does have 24p
and the FX and HVR-A1 doesnt. Is it really needed to make a good short movie? Or is a FX7 good enough to get a filmish result?

SOrry for my newbie questions, i'm working on more knowledge :-)

Santi de la Fuente April 28th, 2007 04:28 PM

Sorry! I made a mistake. I thought that the A1 you are searching was the canon XH-A1 and not the Sony HVR-A1.

Try the three cams and buy what you need. Is my best advice. Until the release of the FX7 I was tempted to buy the HVR-A1 but I need more manual controls and a 3xCMOS sensor.

I didn't try the Canon but it seems a very good cam derived from the XH-A1.

If you need a small camera try the Sony A1 or the Canon.
If you need XLR Audio for your shorts films try the Sony A1.
If you need full manual try the FX7.
If you want to use your old batteries with the new cam try the Sony A1.

Mark Kenfield April 28th, 2007 10:11 PM

The HV20 gives terrific video performance for a consumer camera. The HVR-A1 and FX7 are "prosumer" cameras and a step up in size and performance. My money would probably go to the FX7. The audio options on it aren't great, but the picture quality is.

Paul Lashmana April 28th, 2007 10:23 PM

I'd go for a HV20 or equivalent from the Sony range (HC7 or HC5) , if it were for wedding videos and/or (hobbywise) short movies.

FX7 is cool too, but that's getting awfully close to the cost of an XHA1...

I don't know how many batteries you have from your trv25e, but if you have two or more of the really large capacity ones, and if there's a sony model in the HC-range that lets you use those, I'd go for that one.

I have several big lithium batteries that work with my digital8 camera, but also fit on the prosumer Sony models FX1 and up. I also had two rechargers, that I could use without my camera needing to be plugged in. And that made me hesitate for a looong time before settling on the XHA1. The other reasons had more weight, otherwise I would've gone the FX1 route. Since that would've saved me at least 300-450 euros (equipment already available).

Allan Black April 29th, 2007 01:01 AM

Turning up to do a paid wedding with something the size of the HV20 won't get many smiles from the brides parents. Won't be long before you'll want something bigger.
Cheers.

Ali Husain April 29th, 2007 04:13 AM

even more importantly, the hv20 has not-professional external controls for things that you definitely need professional external controls for if it's your primary camera. as a backup camera it could work (with the right expensive-looking :) accessories), but not for the primary camera on a critical shoot like a wedding.

i used it as a backup camera on a shoot recently: i am glad i have another camera angle for all the times my footage takes a hiccup while i moved the exposure: by first pointing it at something the right brightness, going into auto exposure, then locking, then *hurriedly* clicking down the manual exposure control till it was right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 669396)
Turning up to do a paid wedding with something the size of the HV20 won't get many smiles from the brides parents. Won't be long before you'll want something bigger.
Cheers.

Rob Willemse April 29th, 2007 07:40 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I know the HV20 is a good cam and also has the advantage with its
24p recording. A short comming, like Allen and Ali said, is that the HV20 doesnt look that professional for paid wedding shootings and has lesser professional controls.

On the other side, the HV20 has good light performance, which is critical at wedding shootings. Especially when shooting at the evening wedding party.

But I think i'll let the HV20 for what it is (because of the lesser manuel controls) and make my choice out of the FX7 or HVR-A1.

The good thing about the HVR-A1 is thats its quite small and is usefull
to take it everywhere with me (Also when i'm on vacation).
But I think i'll like that FX7 more because of its professional looks and because its newer then the HVR-A1.
That said, makes me also look in the direction of the XH-A1 from Canon. But that cam is way heavier then the FX7 and isnt that easy to take with me. What do you guys suggest? Also, the XH-A1 has progressive shooting, but do i really need this option for hobby short movie filming?

Doug Graham April 29th, 2007 08:39 PM

I love my HVR-A1U, but I wouldn't recommend it as a wedding cam. It isn't sensitive enough. You'll need a hefty light at the reception, and the camera is really too small to carry a big light. Also, too many of the settings are buried in the menus. It can take quite a while to set up the camera, and then you may have missed the shot.

The FX-7 would be a better bet.

Rob Willemse May 2nd, 2007 02:25 AM

Ok, thanks for all the usefull info so far.

Rob Willemse May 2nd, 2007 07:32 AM

HVR-a1e vs HV20

I've been to the store to check out some cams and I must say
that I was pretty impressed by the HV20. The overall look is not professional,
but the images that it produces looks very stunning.

I have a few questions.

How is the overall video quality of the HVR-a1e in comparison to the HV20?

Which cam can handle low light situations better?

How is the standard wide angle of the HVR-a1e? Has it a wider angle then
the HV20?

Im planning to use my new cam for wedding video and for hobby short movies.
What cam do you guys suggest to choose out of these 2 cams?

Jasper Blunk June 17th, 2007 08:44 PM

Greatest image-quality Sub-10k camera

I have been wondering what sub-10k USD camera has the "best" image quality. I am talking about HD cameras. So the highest-def camera.

Thanks in advance.