DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Which Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/98799-camera.html)

Andrew Paul July 12th, 2007 12:35 PM

Which Camera

I know you guys are going to be able to help me out on this one, lets hope the same make and model keeps popping up.

I currently use a Canon XL1s and am looking to go HDV, but with limited funds. My question is, with $5000 (£2500) , what is the best camera to get. I am happy to go with second hand from a reputable dealer if need to be to get anything decent.

Thanks for any advise

Nathan Quattrini July 12th, 2007 01:08 PM

I`m old fashioned, but I`d say stick with what you know. The Canon A1 is a really nice tool. Though the body setup is different, if you want to stay with the same company its my suggestion.

Terry Lee July 12th, 2007 01:19 PM

Andrew - What seams to be the majority vote for HDV in this forum are the Canon XH A1 and the Sony HVR-Z1u. The A1 is approximately $3,500 where as the Z1u is $4,600. These prices can be found at DVInfo.net's sponser page located top right. Correct me if i'm wrong, but what you are paying for are Interlace VS. Progressive Scann. Z1u is a true 1080i where as the A1 is 720p.

Hope this helps.
-Terry lee.

Dylan Couper July 12th, 2007 01:25 PM

Check out this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91678

Joseph Hutson July 12th, 2007 02:33 PM

Hvr-z1u!!!!!

HVR-Z1U!!!!!HVR-Z1U!!!!!HVR-Z1U!!!!!HVR-Z1U!!!!!

I just got a couple and they work WONDERS and it would be in your budget!

You have got to get one! You will NOT be disappointed!!!

The following link takes you to the package I bought. You also NEED to buy an external shotgun mic.

The Camera package is $4399 after the rebate... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_CCD_HDV.html

The Shotgun mic is $345... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html

I spent 6 mo. to find which was best. The Z1U WAY more better than the A1.

Please make the right decision.

Joseph

P.S. Let me know what you decide.

Philippe Messier July 12th, 2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee (Post 711097)
Z1u is a true 1080i where as the A1 is 720p.

Nope,... XH-A1 is in fact 1080i !...no 720p at all. It does shoot in 24f and 30f which are progressive mode.

Joseph Hutson July 12th, 2007 06:50 PM

Here is alink on the A1's 24f.

http://www.freshdv.com/2007/03/what-...a1-camera.html

Although the Z1U only has "Cineframe," which only replicates the 24f movie style, it also has other cool effects such as, "Color Correct," which makes everything B/W except for 1 or 2 selected colors. Also within each color you choose, you may adjust "range, and saturation."

Today, for the first time, I got to mess around with the FX1, FX7, and the XH-A1. The FX1 has a ton of features missing that are in the Z1U, such as; there are no XLR inputs, there is only 3 assign buttons vs. 6 on the Z1U, color correction, color extraction, color revision, and quite a few others.

Concerning the Canon XH-A1, the LCD screen is HIDEOUS! It feels like a cheapo LCD screen and small, just like my old Sony TRV-280(I am sorry A1 owners). It is NOTHING like my Z1U.

I debated whether or not to get the A1 because it was $1500 cheaper. But NOW I know why.

I know I am going at the other cameras, but Andrew, I want you to make the right choice.

You said so yourself, "My question is, with $5000 (£2500) , what is the best camera to get." Therefore I say, "For $4,744(U.S.) the Z1U is the camera for you(kinda rhymes, ha ha)

Joseph

Andrew Paul July 13th, 2007 02:38 AM

Thanks people, I have a few ideas now as to what to look into. I do a bit of studio work, but mostly outside and in local schools. Don`t need a diferent lens, but no harm in having the option if need be. I have the adaptor for the XL1s to use other lenses, but have never had a reason to use it so far. I used
to have an XM2 (GM2) and I do miss the size and ease of use for videoing sports such as skating and BMXing etc.

Problem is nowadays that every 6 months, something new comes out which can possibly make the last thread wrong as it is does not take the latest equipment into consideration.

Harm Millaard July 13th, 2007 03:19 AM

Surprisingly I only hear Z1 versus A1 and no mention of the V1, which also falls within the budget indicated. Each of these have their pro's and con's.

From my perspective, the Z1 is rather bulky and heavy for a hand held camera, it has a great LCD screen but rather badly placed when using the accessory shoe and has limited zoom range. The A1 has better zoom range, a meager LCD screen and great manual settings. The V1 has the same zoom range as the A1, although the wide angle may be slightly less than the A1 I think, and the form and weight factor are appealing.

I would suggest these three cameras to be put on your short list and compare their low light capabilities, zoom range and wide angle, manual capabilities and form factor. Then decide based on your kind of shooting.

Greg Boston July 13th, 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee (Post 711097)
Andrew - What seams to be the majority vote for HDV in this forum are the Canon XH A1 and the Sony HVR-Z1u. The A1 is approximately $3,500 where as the Z1u is $4,600. These prices can be found at DVInfo.net's sponser page located top right. Correct me if i'm wrong, but what you are paying for are Interlace VS. Progressive Scann. Z1u is a true 1080i where as the A1 is 720p.

Sorry Terry, that's not correct. The Canon XH-A1 and XH-G1 are both native 1080i cameras and don't shoot 720P. Their imagers are 1440X1080. The imager on the Z1u has lower native resolution sensors but produces 1080i output. The interlace versus progressive argument could be debated ad nauseum but the Canon cameras produce progressive images from interlaced imagers while the Sony produces a Cineframe mode that many observers feel is not correct in its motion cadence.

Perhaps you meant to say V1u, the newest offering from Sony rather than the 3 year old Z1u.

-gb-

Mike Burgess July 13th, 2007 12:51 PM

Greg. With the risk of hijacking this thread, please explain to me what you are talking about with concern to your statement about the Sony Cineframe mode not correct in its motion cadence. And what effect does this have on its PQ compared to the Canon?

Thanks
Mike

Terry Lee July 13th, 2007 01:26 PM

aww I lose :(

John Bosco Jr. July 15th, 2007 11:39 PM

If you are a Canon user, I recommend that you stick with Canon and get The XHA1. You will save money and get a camera that produces very nice images. My second choice would be a Sony V1U.

Unless you plan to shoot interlace only, I would stay away from the Z1U. In my opinion, Sony's Cineframe is plain nasty. It's nice that Sony chose true 24 frame progressive for the V1U. Now if they only put 1/3rd inch sensors instead of 1/4 inch in it, they would have something spectacular, in my opinion.