DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Canopus Eduis 3.0 Vs. Liquid Edition 6.0 For HDV Capture and Real time editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/37303-canopus-eduis-3-0-vs-liquid-edition-6-0-hdv-capture-real-time-editing.html)

Joel Corral January 4th, 2005 10:42 PM

Canopus Eduis 3.0 Vs. Liquid Edition 6.0 For HDV Capture and Real time editing

Canopus Eduis 3.0 Vs. Liquid Edition 6.0 For HDV Capture and Real time editing. Which do you prefer if any?

joel

Kevin Shaw January 5th, 2005 12:59 PM

Re: Canopus Eduis 3.0 Vs. Liquid Edition 6.0 For HDV Capture and Real time editing

<<<Canopus Eduis 3.0 Vs. Liquid Edition 6.0 For HDV Capture and Real time editing. Which do you prefer if any?>>>

Between these two Liquid Edition is arguably a more advanced program, but Edius gives you a choice between "native" or high-quality editing codecs which can be useful, plus you can buy Edius with the NX for HDV hardware for better real-time capabilities. You may also want to consider Adobe Premiere Pro with the Cineform Aspect HD plugin, which appears to be the most efficient choice if you only have a single-processor editing system. (Both Edius and Liquid Edition reportedly need dual processors for effective results.)

Joel Corral January 5th, 2005 01:05 PM

noway on the aspecthd you got to render before you import i hate that, i wish i could edit natively in ppro 1.5 thats why i am shopping around. i think at this time i will be going with canopus edius 3.0.

George Ellis January 5th, 2005 01:16 PM

I am currently using LE 6 for SD. I have played with some of the converted M2T video and it was slow until I set my project to 1440 height. Then it would play a single timeline in the preview with effects in RT. Still have a lot of work to sort out my habits vs settings for HD. Need to figure out why I keep putting SD transitions in instead of HD cross-fades. I never got a satisfactory WMV-HD export - trying to sort out the Profile Editor (WMV's) and Export using the profile before I needed to get back to work on video projects.

As far as capture goes, that remains to be seen. From those who have, they were using Live to capture from the Sony instead of IEEE1394. Don't know if this is resolved by SP2 (XP) though. SP2 ships with the PnP inf for the Sony and JVC HD cameras.

There are some 'interesting' 'features' in LE6 involving imported stills and rubberbanded audio (I think there is a fix for that one). SP1 for LE6 is looking like March and should resolve some of the issues (but I do not know of any that are not lacking a workaround).

Kevin Shaw January 5th, 2005 01:19 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : noway on the aspecthd you got to render before you import i hate that, i wish i could edit natively in ppro 1.5 thats why i am shopping around. i think at this time i will be going with canopus edius 3.0. -->>>

The transcoding for Aspect HD is reportedly near-realtime on a sufficiently fast computer, and Edius may have a similar issue if you opt to use the Canopus "HQ" codec. That said, I've been using Edius for my DV editing and like it, although it lacks a few of the more advanced features of programs like Pinnacle LE and Adobe Premiere Pro.

If you do go with Edius, decide beforehand whether you want the "NX" hardware, as it's apparently not a straight upgrade to add the hardware later. If you can afford a good dual-processor computer with PCI-X slots and the Edius NX package, that's a pretty much unbeatable combination in terms of real-time HDV editing capability.

Mark Kubat January 5th, 2005 03:33 PM

I have access to Edius 3.1 update - will post news tonight

My friend at a Toronto t.v. station received Canopus over Christmas - I offered to help chip in for a rental of an FX1 - we're on our way to grab it now.

Will report in a few hours - may also be posting in "HDV editing" forum.

cheers.

Joel Corral January 5th, 2005 04:13 PM

well i just spoke to a colleague that uses liquid edition pro on a P4 3.2 Ghz with 1 gig of ram and 500 gigs hdd space. he cannot get the program to capture from the HDR-FX1. it will start and then it will stop with some kind of error message. at this point i am glad i wont be using liquid edition.
i don't have time for messing around to make thing work right.

joel

Graham Hickling January 5th, 2005 04:23 PM

>>i don't have time for messing around to make thing work right.

Hey I really don't mean to be rude but ... I had a chuckle at this. We are talking about a camera system that has only been out a few weeks and doesn't even come with its own capture software.

It may not be entirely realistic to expect to be editing RT HDV on a personal computer without at least a LITTLE 'messing around'!

George Ellis January 5th, 2005 04:50 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : well i just spoke to a colleague that uses liquid edition pro on a P4 3.2 Ghz with 1 gig of ram and 500 gigs hdd space. he cannot get the program to capture from the HDR-FX1. it will start and then it will stop with some kind of error message. at this point i am glad i wont be using liquid edition.
i don't have time for messing around to make thing work right.

joel -->>>
You need to use Live.

Joel Corral January 5th, 2005 04:51 PM

Go ahead and chuckle i can guarantee canopus will work just fine.

i don't mind playing around with software configs but i do mind hardware configs. if a company is ready to release a product they'd sure better get it right. canopus installs drivers upon software install for the HDR-FX1 and windows recognizes the HDR-FX1 as a Sony D-VHS player. Liquid edition does not! That’s the difference.

Joel

Joel Corral January 5th, 2005 04:53 PM

live???? i don't understand is that a setting in liquid edition?

Mark Kubat January 5th, 2005 07:40 PM

Canopus is NOT 100%

Hi folks.

Here's the early assessment of Edius v. 3.1 latest without NX realtime or any other Canopus card (ie. software only)

Capturing HDV through firewire DOES NOT work in Canopus. It craps out after a few seconds, drops frames, brings in artifacts, stops capturing.

Couldn't capture 3 minutes, 15 sec. in Edius - had to use CapDVHS which worked flawlessly.

Edited m2t in Edius - nice to do transtions like dissolve, render out m2t off course as HDV 1080/60i means my pentium IV 2.4 GHz is thinking about it...

But now we have "edited" m2t that should match in quality to original with dissolves/fades etc. - how to get back to HDV tape so we can watch via component out through FX1 on HDTV and compare? That is the question!

Seems HDV print-to-tape option will only work if you have realtime hardware (ie. edius sp or NX or whatever)...

Any body here get any edited HDV back to HDV tape?

Mark Kubat January 5th, 2005 07:55 PM

update - got HDV print to tape to work in Canopus!

Okay, Canopus is da bomb!

Capture utility has Mpeg ts writer component into which you load rendered HDV 1080/60i - print to tape is flawless!

This is AMAZING!

my crappy pentium IV single processor 2.4 GHz, 500 MB RAM etc. did the job, with a bit of "crunching."

No errors.

Will now try to see if I can get capture utility to work more flawlessly...

Canopus is now 98% - more later

Joel Corral January 5th, 2005 07:55 PM

well i got edius installed and had absolutely no problem capturing from my HDR-FX1, works in real time the thing that lags is the timeline marker kinda lags when playing video. Haven’t play anything back out yet, but i'll bet it will be flawless as the capture was.

way better than AspectHD because i can edit natively!

so i am very happy with my decision to go canopus thus far!

Joel Corral January 5th, 2005 07:56 PM

Re: update - got HDV print to tape to work in Canopus!

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : Okay, Canopus is da bomb!-->>>

yes they are. !!!!