DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Question for DV Storm / Storm Edit users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/471114-question-dv-storm-storm-edit-users.html)

Matt Coloma January 15th, 2010 10:49 PM

Question for DV Storm / Storm Edit users

Ever since Grass Valley did away with the forums for existing Canopus product users, I've been trying to find a place to converse with others on some of the older existing products. So, first, a big thanks to the folks here at DV Info.net for having the insight to create this forum.

I have two DV Storm capture cards that I purchased about seven years ago and have used the proprietary Storm Edit program for capturing and doing basic editing, transitions, sound and picture enhancement, etc. Once, I have the MPEG2 I've then used Ulead DVD Workshop to create menus, set chapter points and create the ISO for burning in Nero. The computers are 2.0GHz Intel single processors with 512MB each, blown bad for 2002 but a little different now in the age of 3.0GHz multiple-core processing machines with at least 2 GB of ram. About five years ago I purchased an ADVC-300. My use of all this equipment has been primarily for my own enjoyment in converting self-recorded VHS tapes, some betas and a few Umatics over to DVD - nothing anywhere close to what I would consider professional use, but I've enjoyed the results. If I could financially justify a faster PC and my intended purchase of Edius Neo 2 Booster to move into the HD era, I would. However, using my existing equipment, here is what I would like to do, and would appreciate any assistance toward this goal.

Even though I can't capture in HD using my DV Storm, I'm trying to figure out how I can use the Storm to capture 16:9 widescreen video through an HD cable box DVR to record some of my favorite TV programs. But as I understand the only way I can get Storm Edit to capture 16:9 widescreen is through DV input on the capture card (or expansion bay as I'm using). If this understanding is correct, then my next question is how to export DV through the HD cable box. There is a IEEE 1394 export, but that would have to go to a IEEE 1394 card on the mother board which I don't have and I couldn't use Storm Edit as my capture source. There is a DVI-D OUT (which I don't have familiarity with). Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

If there is another reasonably-priced program, one that is easier to use than Adobe Premiere, that will recognize the DV Storm and allow me to capture 16:9 AVI files and I can import them into Storm Edit for editing and MPEG2 rendering?

While I'm asking all this, is there a reasonably-priced all-in-one program, like Edius, that might possibly allow me to use the DV Storm for capture, perform edits, do MPEG2 rendering, and through to the menu creation and eventually create an ISO of the DVD to burn?

Again, I appreciate any responses to my question and thanks in advance for your time.

Ted Ramasola January 16th, 2010 11:28 AM

Hi Matt,

I have no idea what you really do and why you'd want to use the storm cards to capture programs and such, BUT i'd like to tell you I have 3 edit bays in my studio that use the old storm cards, I have 2 actually, one is the 1 gen storm card and the other the storm2, another bay has the acedvio card, all three of them run on the edius NLE.

I use the cards only to view my color corrections on a tv monitor nowadays since in todays technology, whe don't "capture" footage anymore due to tapeless workflows.

However in my other editors still use it to capture mpg2 from HDV cameras and occasionally a DV source.

Matt Coloma January 18th, 2010 04:56 PM

Hi Ted.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I've been using the Storm card in the computers I have from more of the hobbyists standpoint. I'm a sports fan and have several hundred tapes of old football games were recorded to VHS back in the 1980's. I've used this eqiupment to convert the tapes over to DVD, but also have the extended ability beyond what a DVD recorded can do to color correct, enhance audio, and overall improve what existed on tape.

If I'm interpreting you correctly, you're telling me that I can use my Storm cards to capture in Edius, enabling me to capture in 16:9 widescreen, even though the results are not currently in HD. Am I correct?

Thanks for responding originally. I look forward to the feedback.

Matt

Ted Ramasola January 18th, 2010 08:40 PM

Matt,

Edius has presets for capturing DV in 4:3 and 16:9 using the storm card.

However, I beleive only up to version 4.6 supports the storm card, versions 5 up don't.

Ted

Matt Coloma January 19th, 2010 11:02 AM

Thanks for the response and the help Ted. It is greatly appreciated.

Matt