DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Edius v6 Demo now available! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/486391-edius-v6-demo-now-available.html)

Rusty Rogers October 20th, 2010 05:25 PM

Edius v6 Demo now available!

Login | Grass Valley
You may have to create a login account to download with the link above!

EDIUS 6 NLE Software Demo

Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7
Free 30-day trial of the acclaimed nonlinear editing software. This trial version permits users to test features within Grass Valley EDIUS version 6.00. Due to licensing restrictions, the third party software bundle is not included with this trial.

This trial version includes complete support of all native HDV formats, including Sony 1080i, Canon 1080p and JVC 720p,as well as support for Grass Valley Infinity JPEG 2000, Panasonic DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO HD, P2, AVC-Intra, Sony XDCAM and XDCAM EX, and Ikegami GFCAM.

You will require Windows operating system Administrative privileges to install and run this trial version.

Important Note: This trial version is incompatible with systems that have EDIUS Neo 2, EDIUS Neo, EDIUS 5.x, or earlier installed. You will need to uninstall any previous version of the software first, in order to install this software.

Limitations:

* 30-day usage period
* VariCam support not included
* GXF/K2, and VMF support not included
* Software bundle (ProDAD, NewBlue, iZotope) not included

Supported Hardware:

* IEEE 1394 FireWire controllers
* ADVC1394, ACEDVio

Minimum System Requirements:

* Any Intel Core 2 or Core iX CPU. Intel or AMD single core CPU with a 3 GHz processor speed or faster (multiple CPUs and/or multi-core CPUs are recommended). SSE2 and SSE3 instruction set supported.
* 1 GB RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
* 2 GB of hard disk space for installation
* Drive with ATA100/7,200 RPM or faster is necessary for video storage:
o Available HDD disc space should be twice the size of the file to be edited
o RAID-0 is recommended for HD resolution editing
* A graphics card supporting higher resolution than 1024x768 (32-bit), Direct3D 9.0c or later, and PixelShader Model 3.0 or later
o For SD editing: 256 MB or larger required, 512 MB or larger recommended
o For HD editing: 512 MB or larger required, 1 GB or larger recommended
* A sound card with WDM driver support
* Blu-ray Disc writer, DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW drive is required when creating Blu-ray Discs or DVDs
* Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows Vista (SP2 or later, 32-bit or 64-bit), or Windows XP (SP3 or later, 32-bit) operating system required

Robert M Wright October 21st, 2010 06:32 PM

First Impression - Not Ready For Primetime

I just downloaded the trial version of Edius 6 and installed it. This really is a first impression, since I've logged about 5-10 whole minutes using it, and obviously may have reached some erroneous preliminary conclusions.

I do get the impression that (at least this demo version of) Edius 6 has some fairly rough edges that really should have been ironed out prior to releasing it.

One thing I noticed right off the bat, is that no AVCHD converter (and viewing) utility was included with the demo - probably an oversight (I presume), since the "tools" folder has a note saying no third party stuff is included, so the folder is empty. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I didn't think that tool was third party software.

Second thing I noticed was that when you first setup your profile, whatever presets you choose, that's it, you can't add more later or change them! You can "modify" a preset to anything you want, when starting a new project, but cannot save those changes so that the modification is available next time you start a project. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but as far as I can tell, the only way to add more presets would be to (uninstall and) reinstall the whole dang thing! This is pretty awful and needs fixing ASAP.

Another thing that seemed odd was trying the new CQX codec. I tried simply transcoding a test clip (no alterations whatsoever), with the quality settings maxed out, then opening the result in Virtual Dub, and it appears to be just a touch (but quite visually noticeable to a trained eye) softer than the source. Maybe I goofed something somehow, but that really surprised me.

I'm really glad that they've apparently designed Edius 6 to allow for much more flexibility with project settings (like custom frame sizes). I haven't tried out making a non-standard project setting though, so I don't know how well that will work out.

Mike Downey October 23rd, 2010 08:53 AM

"Second thing I noticed was that when you first setup your profile, whatever presets you choose, that's it, you can't add more later or change them! You can "modify" a preset to anything you want, when starting a new project, but cannot save those changes so that the modification is available next time you start a project. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but as far as I can tell, the only way to add more presets would be to (uninstall and) reinstall the whole dang thing! This is pretty awful and needs fixing ASAP."

Go to the settings menu then system and you will find the option for creating presets. There is a reason it was done this way.

Rusty Rogers October 23rd, 2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1580991)

I do get the impression that (at least this demo version of) Edius 6 has some fairly rough edges that really should have been ironed out prior to releasing it.

One thing I noticed right off the bat, is that no AVCHD converter (and viewing) utility was included with the demo - probably an oversight (I presume), since the "tools" folder has a note saying no third party stuff is included, so the folder is empty. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I didn't think that tool was third party software.

I'm really glad that they've apparently designed Edius 6 to allow for much more flexibility with project settings (like custom frame sizes). I haven't tried out making a non-standard project setting though, so I don't know how well that will work out.

Edius 6 does not need to convert AVCHD. One of the big selling points.

Some of us were not completely sold on the new workflow and like so many "old dogs" have had some rough transitioning to the new way.

I can't wait for the non-trial to hit the streets to show off the not-included features. Proxy-mode and project check-out are on my favorites list!

Noa Put October 24th, 2010 03:30 AM

The edius 6 trial has been taken off-line again as it appeared to be a wrong incomplete version they used, a new version should be online soon.

I did test that first version of Edius 6 before they toke it offline again and experienced, like some more users stability issues. One thing surprised me though, On my 3 year old Q6600 machine with edius 5.51 I was not able to play dslr 1080p footage at approx 45mbs in realtime from the timeline, it was near realtime but slowed down a bit with stuttery sound.

With version 6 I could play one layer in realtime without any stutter! I couldn't scroll the timeline smooth but playback was. On a I7 machine that should give some realy good realtime performance with probably a few layers, drag and drop, just the way we like it. :)
Now I realy have to buy a new pc soon.

The proxy mode for field editing which allowed to transfer editing data between a laptop and your fixed workstation was on top of my list as well.

Rusty Rogers November 2nd, 2010 06:12 PM

The demo is back online! Here's something I made with E6 today...

John Richard November 6th, 2010 07:57 AM

very funny !