DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   Kessler Krank™ Sneak Peek (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/144183-kessler-krank-sneak-peek.html)

Chris Beller February 19th, 2009 10:45 PM

Kessler Krank™ Sneak Peek

Hey Everyone!

We have posted a quick and dirty demo of the Kessler Krank™ slider prototype over at our YouTube channel . The Krank™ will have a crank handle for smooth consistent pans, but can also be used just like your typical manual slider. We should also be releasing our version of a simple manual slider in the next month.

In other news, we have just finished our Kessler Crane® Promo DVD. You can view the DVD on our website by clicking the link in the menu on the top left, or by going here Kessler Crane® Online DVD .

Be sure to stay tuned, because we have all kinds of things in the works for 2009!

Thanks!

Dylan Couper February 24th, 2009 01:20 AM

Wow, looks great! Any pricing info yet?

Chris Beller February 24th, 2009 07:25 PM

Thanks Dylan. We are targeting the $400 - $500 range, depending on the final manufacturing costs. We want to be able to offer it for as low as possible. We hope to have more information in the next few weeks.

Shaun Roemich February 24th, 2009 08:56 PM

Ok, that's cool. It takes a lot to make me get excited over a gadget but I'd buy that. Any idea what maximum weight support would be at the extremes of the track?

Chris Barcellos February 24th, 2009 10:09 PM

Instead of a hand crank, which the demonstration shows will not be even, why not rig something to connect a small electric drill with reduction gearing.

Lorinda Norton February 25th, 2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1017967)
Instead of a hand crank, which the demonstration shows will not be even, why not rig something to connect a small electric drill with reduction gearing.

Would something like that be quiet enough?

I watched the demo earlier today and was thinking a larger-diameter crank would smooth it out even more. Would love to see some footage from the camera.

Nice price!

Chris Beller February 25th, 2009 12:35 PM

Perhaps the movement didn't look smooth in this quick video? The crank handle is really works well at the current size. The movement is very easy and smooth, and because it is belt driven, completely silent.

This video was just to give you a quick idea of what it would do. We'll work on getting more footage up soon, so you can see what it looks like from the camera.

Thanks for the checking it out and giving your feedback.

Randy Panado February 28th, 2009 01:06 PM

Is there enough clearance to use this thing on the ground or on a table? If not, slightly elevated legs would be great.

Since it's belt driven, how durable are the belts? If it breaks, easy to replace breaks yourself or do you have to send it in?

All this competition in the slider market place is great :).

Chris Beller March 1st, 2009 01:01 PM

Yes, you'll be able to sit it on the ground / table, if needed.

You should not have to worry about the belt breaking, as it is steel-banded, but if it does, you should be able to change it yourself without sending the unit in.

Thanks

Jeff Anselmo April 7th, 2009 11:38 PM

Hi Chris,

Any updates on the slider?

Just saw the demo on You Tube, and it looks promising. Would different weighted cameras be supported by the slider? Are different lengths going to be available? Any chance we can see footage using the slider?

Best,

Chris Beller April 10th, 2009 09:18 PM

Hoping to have the final Pocket Dolly™ parts from the machine shop next week. If everything comes together, we should have them available shortly after NAB. Additional footage will be coming soon after we get the production model parts in.

Don't have the final specs for camera weights yet, but heavier cameras than what were shown in the video will be supported, if that is what you were wondering.

Currently, we were looking at offering one standard length (around 36"). However, we use all the feedback we receive from our customers (or potential customers), so if there is a need for other options, we would definitely look into it.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Thanks!

Jeff Anselmo April 17th, 2009 09:35 AM

Thanks Chris!

Just viewed the Pocket Dolly/Jib Combo on YouTube and I'm very impressed. (Some of the best cardboard dolly shots I've ever seen :) As a proud owner of a Kessler Crane (8 & 5ft), I may have to ditch my current setup and order your Dolly-Jib Combo setup instead! (Wonder what the price would be for a used Kessler crane :)

I thought I read on the YouTube comments that prices for the Pocket Dolly will be around $400-500? Any chance current owners can receive a discount? Just throwing it out there...

Good luck, and hope to see more footage. Keep up the good work!

Chris Beller April 18th, 2009 07:12 PM

Hey Jeff! Thanks for the feedback. I just want to clarify, a point, and my aplogies if you know this already.

The Pocket Dolly™ and the Pocket Jib™ are two separate products, that can be used together.

Target price for the Pocket Dolly™ is looking to be around $450 - $500 (should finalized that real soon).

Target price for the Pocket Jib™ is around $900 (still working on this one, so could vary).

Once they are both released, we plan to put some bundle packages together.

Thanks! -Chris

Charles Papert April 18th, 2009 08:50 PM

What about an optional module that will turn the direction of the crank 90 degrees? If the camera is positioned at eye-height (say, to maintain an over-the-shoulder shot, a classic used of a slider), it will be very hard to operate the crank without having to use a stepladder or equivalent.

For myself I would likely rig a motor and a Microforce onto the panhandle, so replacing the wheel with a 32 pitch gear gear (and a 15mm rod for mounting the motor) would be a simple mod. I'm sure for others who don't happen to own the motor and controller, a motorized version that perhaps interfaced with an existing low-cost rocker controller will be appreciated, as mentioned in the comments for the video.

Chris Beller April 27th, 2009 08:38 PM

Charles - Not sure if you saw our updated video on YouTube, showing how we redesigned the handle on the Pocket Dolly™, so we could add a motorized control later.

YouTube - Pocket Jib? (prototype) & Pocket Dolly? Update

As for turning 90 degrees, do you mean, so you are moving the camera vertical? If that is the case, and your concern is the handle would be at the top and hard to reach, you just mount the camera the other way on the Pocket Dolly™, then the handle can be at the bottom.

If I totally missed what you were talking about, my apologies.