DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   UPS Ground Shipping from B&H? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/19128-ups-ground-shipping-b-h.html)

David Ho January 2nd, 2004 12:10 AM

UPS 3 Day Shipping from B&H?

I bought some stuff ($300 accessories for my GL2) from B&H and the shipping method I selected was UPS Select 3-5 business days (which was default)...If the UPS truck comes during the delivery date and delivers to the shipping address and I am/no one is present or not there...where does he/she put it then? Do they drop it off at their post office waiting to be picked up or dropping it at the shipping address door (which is my house).

My main concerns is that will/can the package get stolen if they drop it off at my front door... and since it's about 20-30 degrees outside these few days and snowing, can the coldness damage my electronics or will the package/casing be enough to protect it?

Ken Tanaka January 2nd, 2004 12:58 AM

David,
This is a question best answered by your local UPS office. Give them a call. I know that at some locations UPS will hold a package at their depot if it's undeliverable. Sometimes they can reschedule a missed delivery.

Joe Garnero January 2nd, 2004 07:34 AM

since it's about 20-30 degrees outside these few days and snowing, can the coldness d

The packaging will be fine to protect the cam from the cold, B&H double-boxes their shipments. The snow may melt and soak the outside carton but only until it gets cold too, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The problem will arise when you get home! I know you'll want to bring that box in, rip it open and start playing with you new DV-cam. When in actuality you should bring the box in and forget about it for quite some time. When the box and contents have neutralized with the inside environment, then rip into it and have a go. The waiting time will depend on how cold and how long the box was outside.

Waiting will reduce or eliminate the risk of cracks from rapid thermal change and also condensation due to the elevated indoor humidity.

Sorry. This is not good news but trust me it is good advice!

Frank Granovski January 2nd, 2004 08:12 AM

David, UPS will look for someone to sign for the delivery, on their electronic pad. If there's no one to be found, they leave a slip saying that they tried to deliver something. I doubt they are going to leave something outside without a signature.

Joe Garnero January 2nd, 2004 08:32 AM

since it's about 20-30 degrees outside these few days and snowing, can the coldness d

This is true if "Signature Required" is a condition of shipping. I would presume B&H use this restriction for expensive items such as cam's.

On many occasions I have come home to find a box setting on the front stoop; waiting to be brought in. No paperwork of any kind from UPS...

David, If it is a gret concern to you, call B&H they'll be more than happy to tell you the conditions it was shipped under. Ken is correct too. UPS can tell you as well.

Nick Kerpchar January 2nd, 2004 09:26 AM

David,
You need to call B&H and ask them if they shipped with a Request of Delivery (or whatever it's called to show that someone signed that the item was received). If they didn't request a receipt, then the UPS delivery person will leave the package at your door (and you better hope they didn't toss it to the door). Then you better follow Joe's advice on thawing out the package before trying to operate any electronics!

If a delivery receipt was requested by B&H, and no one was at your home to accept delivery, then depending upon how much of a hurry the UPS person is in they may try to see if a next door neighbor will accept the package or just leave a sticker on your door that you need to arrange to pick up the package at the UPS office. UPS will NOT leave a package at the post office. I wish they would because for me I have to travel over one hour (each way making it a two plus hour trip) to get to the UPS office.

If you want to read the Good/Bad/Ugly regarding UPS and other delivery services posted on this forum, just do a search .... but you probably won't be able to sleep until (or if) your package arrives.

Good luck, Nick

David Ho January 2nd, 2004 09:50 AM

Went to the B&H Help page and looked up some general shipping information. According to the website, it says that "A signature is required for all UPS shipments upon receipt."

So, I guess that I WILL need to sign the receipt or else they'll put it somewhere?

Btw, I didn't purchase my GL2 from B&H. I like to purchase electronics that cost over $1k at a store than online, it just seems better for refunds/any problems. I only bought some accessories for the FIRST time (I've heard B&H was good, I bought some kata bags, a B+W filter, some dvm63mq tapes, dm-50 mic, etc)

Dave Largent January 29th, 2004 03:04 AM

I can't stand UPS delivery procedures. If you're
not there, they go to all your neighbors trying
to pass the stuff off. Where I live, the neighbors
are either a bunch of low lifes or are people
I've gotten into arguments with. Imagine my shock to
find out that UPS had tried to pass off
thousands of dollars of electronic equipment to
a half-dozen of my neighbors. (Luckily, there's
such bad blood with them that no one
would accept the packages.) I called
to complain to the UPS corporation and was
told this is not company policy to do this on
the first attempt but they all do it anyway
to cut corners. I contacted local UPS about
this and was informed that I had got their
driver in hot water, and the manager of
the local was very rude to me.
And now all my packages from B&H are
delivered to me by this same driver, who
gives me a dirty look. And the packages
are always banged up. I asked B&H if
I could arrange delivery through some
other carrier but they were not accommadating.
FedEX is much quicker with deliveries, and
if you're not home, they leave a note to
pick it up at their office.

David Ho January 30th, 2004 04:26 AM

I called UPS a few weeks ago and asked about their policy also. It appears they only do the "signed" requirement (at least in our place) if it is required under certain place conditions like if you live in a weird area or something like that... so all of our UPS are always dropped off at the front door which I don't hestitate, but I don't approve of it either...

Frank Granovski January 30th, 2004 06:29 AM

So it hasn't arrived yet? You did get the item insured, right?

David Ho February 1st, 2004 07:20 AM

The item has arrived. What I meant was that UPS just always drops it at the front door.

Frank Granovski February 1st, 2004 08:29 AM

I'm glad you recieved it without a hitch. The wait must have been nerve-racking. It always is for me. :-))

Nicholi Brossia February 11th, 2004 10:37 AM

I hear you guys about the UPS thing. I ordered quite a bit from B&H a while back (GL2 with lots of accessories) which arrived at different times due to the orders. Just in case, I made sure someone was at home during the scheduled delivery, which was actually very precise. Anyway, the last day/delivery ran a little late and as I was leaving for work, the UPS truck pulled up. Keep in mind I'm just a random guy walking down the sidewalk in front of my house. The delivery guy just gets out of the truck, hands me the package and takes off. I'm just glad it was me.

Andrew Petrie February 11th, 2004 04:35 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : David, UPS will look for someone to sign for the delivery, on their electronic pad. If there's no one to be found, they leave a slip saying that they tried to deliver something. I doubt they are going to leave something outside without a signature. -->>>

I wouldn't agree with that... I'd have to side with Dave Largent, we've had thousands of dollars worth of paintball equipment just left at the door in plain sight. A couple of items left with neighbors, and thank God they are the honest types. UPS has been, in my expeience, is the worst carrier. I do my best to avoid any kinds of dealings with them.

Michel Brewer February 12th, 2004 12:17 AM

ups

I came home to my house in atlanta (when I lived there) to see my new mac powerbook sitting on the front steps. It was out in the open in a box that had a very attractive color picture on the box of the computer. It was the same box that you carry out of the store....no shipping carton. And UPS had just left it sitting out front, for those of you who know atlanta I lived on Briarcliff RD a few blocks from WAGA, its a rather busy street. (to put it in a way everyone can understand I set a beat up dresser on the sidewalk about 15 feet from the front door for garbage pickup, and it was gone in 10 minutes by a passerby.)

I still cant beleive that they would leave a 2 grand computer on a front porch of a house on a busystreet. and that I didnt call in and try to get another one by saying I didnt get it......

m