DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   B&H Photo Video Reviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/19185-b-h-photo-video-reviews.html)

David Ho January 3rd, 2004 09:55 AM

B&H Photo Video Reviews

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with B&H Photo Video? I've bought several stuff from these guys. I would say B&H has the BEST selection. They have everything. It's quite unbelievable -- their inventory is HUGE. Their prices are also good, but not "super super low." (compared to smaller individual stores dedicated to one particular category of items) The only thing I would describe as a bad experience would be the customer service. For some reason, I called several times and found little help. But, their selection makes up for it. If you purchase from them online (which I think most of you will), their order tracking is a good and reliable addition, but if you want to change or modify an item, it's a little harder to do. Their shipping/processing also seems to take a little longer than usual. But, the bottom line: a very good store with huge inventory and probably one of the best reliability.

Anyone else have good/bad stories? Please share your experiences.

John Locke January 3rd, 2004 10:02 AM

David,

If you do a search, you'll find quite a few comments about B&H.

I, for one, think they're the bee's knees.

Lorinda Norton January 3rd, 2004 12:04 PM

David,
In contrast to your experience, the order I placed by phone four days ago already arrived! (And I live in Western US too.) I think they're aces. This purchase would have cost $250 more if I special-ordered locally, and would not have arrived until later this month.

Had to get used to what seemed like impatience/rudeness on the part of their employees (I've called about five times over the last two years) but that's not a big deal. With the exception of Amazon, for me, phone orders seem to get processed more quickly--that's why I don't order as much on-line.

Randy Reyes January 3rd, 2004 01:46 PM

I bought my DVX100 from them as well as a Century .6x wide angle converter lense. You were right about their customer service being a bit crappy, but I think a customer would get better service through the chat help as you won't notice that tinge of attitude over the phone!!

As far as service goes, they are excellent - quality product, good pricing (not the best, but still really good!), good shipping and handling. I, too, received my package a day earlier!! I recommend these guys highly since they offer a solid service. You can really buy with confidence from these guys!!

Boyd Ostroff January 3rd, 2004 02:10 PM

My experience with them has been great and there were no delays in shipping (although you have to work around the Jewish holidays). As for the attitude, well I only used the online ordering and that was excellent. But after all, they are located in NYC, so one has to make allowances. You gotta problem with that?... ;-)

Lorinda Norton January 3rd, 2004 03:22 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : But after all, they are located in NYC, so one has to make allowances. You gotta problem with that?... ;-) -->>>

Ha! I'm finally getting to visit NYC in May. Is there something this bumpkin should know? :)

Oh, and-- B&H is definitely on my must-see list while there.

David Ho January 3rd, 2004 08:02 PM

For some reason, my order seems to be taking forever. It's been 3 days, and they're still in "processing" process. I guess this is because of the closed/holidays or something. I ordered on 1/1/2004. They were closed on this day, and then closed again on Saturday -- so maybe that's why. Now it's 1/3 (They close today)... so I guess it takes 2-3 days to process, then 2-3 days to ship again. *sigh*

Jeff Donald January 3rd, 2004 08:15 PM

UPS and FedEx don't pickup on weekends and B & H was closed for the Holiday. It is impossible to process an order and box and ship it when the merchant is closed.

David Ho January 3rd, 2004 08:24 PM

Yeah, I guess you're right. That's what I also thought it to be.

Dorothy Engleman January 4th, 2004 02:54 PM

Other board sponsors offer a much more generous 30 day return/exchange policy on defective video equipment than B & H's 7 day return policy.

Dorothy

Jeff Donald January 4th, 2004 03:24 PM

The larger retailers (like B & H, Ritz/Wolf Camera, Best Buy etc.) are bothered by a phenomenon that plagues many electronics dealers. Customer like to buy video cameras, go on a 14 day vacation, then return them. Some years ago I was in a group that studied this problem for retailers. Several electronics retailers were estimating 30 to 40% of their camcorder sales were being used and returned. We recommended the 7 day return period and returns shrank to under 5% for most retailers. Sales also shrunk, but dealers didn't have all the issues with open box products.

So blame the unscrupulous consumer for forcing larger retailers into restrictive return policies. Most retailers would love to return to the 30 day return on big ticket electronic items. But the actions of unethical consumers hurts everyone.

Dorothy Engleman January 4th, 2004 04:22 PM

Jeff,

Oft times, defects in video cameras are not discovered until a week or two or three of usage.

B & H only replaces defective equipment within one week. After one week, customers are required to return defective equipment directly to the manufacturer for repair or possible replacement.

I feel B & H could be a little more generous in extending the time of replacing defective equipment.

When I buy a brand new video camera, I don't want to have to send it in for repair within the first 30 days! I think most people feel the same way.

Dorothy

Christopher Go January 4th, 2004 06:13 PM

I've ordered from B&H Photo several times now and I must say I like their service overall. Large selection, up to date inventory, easy ordering, shipping rates up front, and they double-box orders.

To avoid shipping delays from any retailer you have to keep holidays and weekends in mind. I always try to order on a Sunday for example so that I know my order will come in sometime during the week depending on what kind of shipping I select, and because you have all business days to work with from thereafter.

For B&H Photo specifically, you also have to remember that they check the order against past orders, or will call to ensure that it was you indeed who placed the order, especially if this your first time ordering. They have a credit verification process, which could take more time if you miss them or vice versa. This happened to me when I first ordered and again when I wanted to ship to another address. Otherwise, once they know it is you the orders come along very fast. Try not to change the billing address, and get in contact with them soon after a large order - especially if it is your first time - and the processing should go very quickly. From there on forward you can order comfortably knowing that B&H Photo has a good security policy in place for your protection.

David, if your order is not processed after the weekend in a timely manner, you may want to see if you're order is held up in the verification department. Go to this webpage here for information: Verification Department. You can also call B&H Photo and ask for the Verification Department or email them: verification@bhphotovideo.com.

I've come to the conclusion that they're rude only because they are extremely busy. They have no time for idle chatter and are looking to handle each call as quickly as possible. In the end however, you can really judge a place on how good they are if and when you really need to make a return (sorry, but sometimes you can't avoid a return). I returned a camcorder case once and found the RMA process to be fairly smooth. Received my credit back in no time so for this reason I think they are really good. No hassles whatsoever.

However, I do agree with Dorothy that the return period should be stretched a bit, even if only a week more.

Michael Gibbons January 16th, 2004 11:26 AM

Those rude New Yorkers

This is just the viepoint of an Ex New Yorker, so take it for what it is worth.

Everybody in NY is in a hurry, the briskness, and seeming impatience is actually, believe it or not, a form of politeness. They are respecting your time, and expect you to respect thiers.

I left NY about 12 years ago and moved to the south US. My ideas about what was polite and the ideas of the people in my new home (Dallas) were in direct conflict with one another. I wanted to do buisness quickly, they wanted to talk about their boat, and complain about the heat. It took me years to adjust. For a long, long time I was that rude, fast talking guy.

Personally after having lived all over the US I don't miss the bustle of NY one bit, and I am now well equiped to understand the frustration people from other regions feel when the deal with New Yorkers, but keep in mind that they probably do mean well, and they just don't understand your perspective...

I could never survive there now, myself. I am much too slow.

MG

Sorry if I drifted a little off topic...

Paul Tauger January 16th, 2004 02:37 PM

Q: How many New Yorkers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None of your f@#$% business.

Q: How many New Yorkers who moved to California does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None of your f@#$% business. Have a nice day!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.