DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   Calumet Photographic - Yea or Nay? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/77612-calumet-photographic-yea-nay.html)

Theodore McNeil October 16th, 2006 07:54 PM

Calumet Photographic - Yea or Nay?

Can anybody recommend or not recommend leasing a video camera from Calumet? Or recommend someone else to lease from?

My situation: I live and work at a small government television station in a rural county on the eastern shore of Maryland. I can get some sidework doing local commercials and sports events but I have to get my own camera set up. I can't use the government's equipment for these jobs because it would violate the ethics policy and I could loose my day job. And I'm about 2 hours from the nearest rental house...

I just need access to a high-end prosumer camera, a few mics and i'll be good to go.

Steve House October 18th, 2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil
Can anybody recommend or not recommend leasing a video camera from Calumet? Or recommend someone else to lease from?

My situation: I live and work at a small government television station in a rural county on the eastern shore of Maryland. I can get some sidework doing local commercials and sports events but I have to get my own camera set up. I can't use the government's equipment for these jobs because it would violate the ethics policy and I could loose my day job. And I'm about 2 hours from the nearest rental house...

I just need access to a high-end prosumer camera, a few mics and i'll be good to go.

I haven't dealt with them in a number of years but Calumet has had a very very long history as a reliable vendor in the professional photography market. Whether you're getting the best deal or not compared to, say, B&H I couldn't say nor do I know anything about their leasing terms etc but from the general standpoint of whether they're on the up and up, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them.

Barry Gribble October 18th, 2006 11:53 AM

I've bought some stuff in their showroom, but haven't rented. They were all-pro as far as I could tell.

Charles Perkins October 18th, 2006 03:02 PM

as far as i can say for calumet in the uk and the "pro"(haha) video department is... i only brought from them, so i cant comment on rental, but really, comeone people, when a customer comes into a shop to buy expensive stuff, have the right answers to the questions if you want me to come back. it fills me with anger thinking about them.

Chris Barcellos October 18th, 2006 04:33 PM

Might want to edit that post, Charles, before someone does it for you...

Chris Hurd October 18th, 2006 04:56 PM

Too late. Already edited. No profanity on my boards please -- thanks in advance.

At any rate, the question referred to Calumet in Chicago Illinois, not in the UK.