DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2k-digital-cinema/)
-   -   Digital cinema camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2k-digital-cinema/485136-digital-cinema-camera.html)

John Gerard September 22nd, 2010 04:07 PM

Digital cinema camera

Hi,
I am research digital cinema type cameras. This market type of camera seem interesting. I remember just a few years ago. When DSLRs were just coming out with the ability to shoot video. Now there are other cameras such as the red Cinema cameras coming on the market. The low end one is still about $3000 us starting price.
I just have 2 questions one regarding sensors and the other lenses.
Lenses on most of these types of cameras use 35mm lenses. Red Cinema makes their own lenses but you can get an adapter to use your own 35mm lenses. I just wondered how the lenses on 35mm still cameras differ from HDV cameras. I have the Sony fx7 HDV camera that has a fixed 20x zoom lens. I have not heard of a 35mm lens in that range. It would have to be extremely big and long. Is there any good web sites that explain this difference? It is probably something to do with sensor size, shape and focal length.
I also just wondered why a camera like the new Red Scarlet uses a 2/3" sensor on most of their models and not a 1:1 sensor. Is the factor the cost in producing a 1:1 sensor camera? I have a Canon 10d 35mm DSLR that has I think, a 1/4" sensor. I get used to the difference in what I see to what I actual capture on film. But having a 1:1 sensor seem better to me. I remember that when the Canon DSLR came out there was a big brother camera that had a 1:1 sensor. So the technology was already here back then.

John Gerard

Brian Drysdale September 22nd, 2010 05:59 PM

Lenses on HDV cameras, like most video cameras, are designed to be used with an optical block that splits the light into three colours, 35mm camera lenses are designed to be used with a single sensitive layer, be it electronic or photochemical.

There has been a 20 to one motion picture 35mm lens (24mm to 240mm), but it's a very slow T9. It was used on Barry Lyndon and was a modified 16mm zoom fitted with what was basically a range extender design to cover the larger image area. Just checking I notice that Clairmont hire a 23-460mm Century/Angenieux T8, which sounds rather like another version of the same lens. You can get a modern 12 to 1 zoom.

The Scarlet isn't out, but RED plan to also offer it in 35mm formats at a later stage. The 2/3" sensor offers advantages for many types of productions, especially documentaries and fits nicely into their range of cameras. RED first version will have a fixed zoom lenses

Chris Hurd September 22nd, 2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Gerard (Post 1571894)
I have a Canon 10d 35mm DSLR that has I think, a 1/4" sensor.

Like all other D-SLR cameras in its class, the Canon EOS 10D had
an APS-C size sensor measuring 22.7mm by 15.1mm -- which is
much, much, *much* larger than 1/4" -- hope this helps,