Sony late model HDV & HXR-NX5U Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old January 8th, 2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony late model HDV & HXR-NX5U Question

Hello Everyone,

Looking at an upgrade to our church camera and noticed some good deals on used HVR-Z5, FX1000 and Z7 cameras as well as the NX5U. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions in regards to comparing both. I understand the Z5 and FX1000 are basically the same, and the Z7 offers the interchangeable lens.

As we do not record in camera the recording media doesn't matter. As we are on a tight budget, I'm just looking for the best camera for live streaming out of all of these. How do they compare in low light and how does their HDMI/SDI outputs differ? Does the NX5U offer more progressive modes? Are the outputs affected by the HDV limitations of those cameras, or are they uncompressed?

Just to give some background information, currently we are using a Sony HVR-Z1U via component output, being de-interlaced by software. Most of our footage requires to be at 18DB gain. Our church is very traditional and they are not interested in bringing in extra light studio lighting, however even at 18DB gain, the picture is still very clear.

I am most familiar with Sony prosumer cameras. Feel free to offer suggestions for other cameras around the same price range, max $2000

Many Thanks
M
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony late model HDV & HXR-NX5U Question

I know I'm late, but for what its worth I think Wirecast stopped supporting HDV, and maybe others like OBS will follow. The Z5u was a great camera, and good in low light, but it might be a bit dated. I'd recommend either Sony X70 or AX100.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema