DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Final Cut or Avid Xpress Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/109786-final-cut-avid-xpress-pro.html)

Zac Crosby December 8th, 2007 11:40 AM

Final Cut or Avid Xpress Pro?

Ok me and my friend are debating... he's a apple lover and will not take anything but apple... as in final cut pro.. ive used final cut alot... and i can say i like it... but id rather go work on some other editing system... i find no difference between final cut and premiere pro... actually id prefer PPro... i found AVID Xpress Pro on a student discount for $295... and i thought heaven

do you guys have any input on the debate?

I mean Avid has automatic live capture 24p Pulldown removal

Mike Peter Reed December 8th, 2007 12:04 PM

As far as I know, nobody ever won an award for their choice of NLE.

Walter Murch likes FCP though.

Richard Alvarez December 8th, 2007 01:01 PM

Well if it's platform centric, then Avid will run on either Mac or PC... ships with copies of both. (Though there are limitations on the Student Version, not sure what they are, best check. I think you don't get any hard copies of the manuals, or the third party apps like Sorenson or Boris that come bundled with the regular version)

They each have their strengths and weaknesses... much will depend on what your workflow is, and your main area of interest. At this time, AVID XpressPro does NOT support Canons 24f... which is a bummer for me. I cut on AXP and will be buying an XLH-1 most likely next year. I'll also be buying a Macbook Pro, so that I can run BOTH FCP and AXP on it.

So maybe you should decide on your platform of choice first?

In terms of 'market share', I'd say FCP has the majority of the indy shops and small 'boutique' ad agencies wrapped up, Feature Films and Broadcasting are still solidly Avid. For how long, who can say? (As to awards, you can look up Academy Awards for Editors, then check and see what they were cut with... if that's important to you...)

In terms of strict feature comparisons, FCP is somewhere between AXP and MC. It has a little more features than AXP and a little less than Media Composer. If I was starting from scratch, I'd bite the bullet and go Media Composer.

David W. Jones December 8th, 2007 06:09 PM

I have owned Premiere, Avid, Media 100, and Final Cut Pro.
The only platform that is currently not stored in my attic is Final Cut Pro.

Joseph Hutson December 8th, 2007 06:14 PM

All in favor of Final Cut Studio say Aye!

AYE!!!!

Alister Chapman December 29th, 2007 06:07 PM

I too have FCP, premiere pro and avid media composer. I also have vegas and liquid. the only one I use for edits is FCP. The one I enjoy using is FCP

C.J. Daniel December 29th, 2007 06:26 PM

I bought a Dell computer configured for AVID, bought Avid Express Pro with Digi Design and Mojo. Have Adobe Master Collection with all Premiere toys.

6 months ago bought FCP6 and I am not looking back.

Kalunga Lima December 31st, 2007 02:55 PM

I would think that most of us probably only use 10% of our editing software's capability.

I also think that software design tends to converge, so significant differences will tend to decrease.

Having said this, I think FCP has 2 things going for it which have kept me committed to it, in spite of some flaws:

1. It is one single software package whether you are editing DV or HD, on a laptop, an iMac or an 8 Core machine it's all Final Cut Pro.

2. Hardware and software integration is complete... no more looking at a list of compatible motherboards, chip sets etc to see if your machine is compatible. If it's a Mac, it's going to work period.

best of luck and happy new year

Richard Alvarez December 31st, 2007 03:44 PM

Kalunga points out the 'strength' of being locked into a Mac Platform. Very little can be changed about it.

People complain when AVID certifies a specific set of hardware boards, graphics cards etc for the PC,, when that is really all the APPLE has done. FCP is only 'certified' to run on a very narrow selection of platforms and computers - MAC's. See how simple that is?

AVID Will run on a Mac if that's what you prefer. Run it on a MAC. It comes shipped with a copy for both MAC and PC. It is 'certified' to run on both platforms. If your Apple will run FCP... it will run AXP or MC.

The interface from AXP all the way up to the SYMPHONY Nitris is virtually the same. You can transport your work from you AXP laptop to finish on a high end Edit suite if you like. This is what many Feature films do. But do you need this 'connectivity' ?

A cut is a cut, a disolve is a disolve each program/platform has its strengths and weaknesses. You really need to take a long hard look at your workflow and final delivery product, and see what's best for you.